British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/thinking-moving-nova-scotia-295479/)

smurf72 Apr 9th 2005 10:42 pm

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia

Hi to all on this site. We currently live in Bristol UK and are looking into the possabilities of moving to NS. I currently work in Housing and Youth Services. We have a large family and have found our selves in the no win situation of us both having fairly ok jobs but not enough to get a morgage to buy our current home. We have talked about moving for quite some time and both of us have family in Canada. I particually like NS as it reminds me of my home town in the Lake District.
I would really appriciate some advice on the real NS and what its like to live there, house prices, job situations, schools etc i have read an earlier thread regarding the drug culture but i currently live in the inner city of Bristol so its another reason to move.

Thank you for taking th etime to read this post

wensamjam Apr 10th 2005 7:11 am

Re: Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by smurf72
Hi to all on this site. We currently live in Bristol UK and are looking into the possabilities of moving to NS. I currently work in Housing and Youth Services. We have a large family and have found our selves in the no win situation of us both having fairly ok jobs but not enough to get a morgage to buy our current home. We have talked about moving for quite some time and both of us have family in Canada. I particually like NS as it reminds me of my home town in the Lake District.
I would really appriciate some advice on the real NS and what its like to live there, house prices, job situations, schools etc i have read an earlier thread regarding the drug culture but i currently live in the inner city of Bristol so its another reason to move.

Hi Smurf72,
we are currently in process of moving to NS, just waiting for our visa's to arrive and house to sell then we can go. We have chosen an area called Fall river just outside Halifax. Ther are many on this forum now that are going to NS, if you look back on posts you will find us all. Corky can you give you lots of info about area's. Have you been over to look at NS?

Scouse Apr 10th 2005 7:57 am

Hi smurf72
As Wendy has said, there are several of us on the forum who are hopefully trying to call NS 'home'.

For what it's worth, I would like to contribute my two cents worth (whether you want it or not!!) :)

The following links may help.

www.gov.ns.ca
www.novascotiaimmigration.com
www.acres.info
www.careerbeacon.com
www.mls.ca

I wish you and your family the very best of everything in your new venture

Scouse

seacreature Apr 10th 2005 5:49 pm

I used to live in Nova Scotia (Halifax), it's very nice indeed.
Personally I found it too sleepy which is one of the reasons we moved to Toronto. The pace of life there is extremely slow to say the least!
House prices in rural NS are incredibly cheap, simply because demand is very low. It's possible to buy a very nice house in many parts of NS for under 100k.
I'm not sure about the schools, however I assure you the drug culture in NS is NOT as prevalent as Bristol! There are a lot of cranks on this message board so you have to be careful what you read (or believe!).
Drugs are available just as in every country and there are rough areas in Halifax (Gottingen Street, Uniake Sq, Spryfield), but in my opinion Canada is immeasurably safer than big cities in the UK.
Unemployment is high in NS, about 8%, however as with most parts of Canada, it's all about who you know and networking. If you have friends in high places you shouldn't have any problems finding work.

smurf72 Apr 12th 2005 9:24 pm

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. We have decided to take your sound advice and arrange to go on a short stay and get a feel for the place. I spent the last two days going to all the websites that have be recommended and its made it feel even more a possability. We scored well on the skills base and have more than enough points so its definatly the visit over the NS next.

Corky Apr 12th 2005 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by seacreature
I used to live in Nova Scotia (Halifax), it's very nice indeed.
Personally I found it too sleepy which is one of the reasons we moved to Toronto. The pace of life there is extremely slow to say the least!
House prices in rural NS are incredibly cheap, simply because demand is very low. It's possible to buy a very nice house in many parts of NS for under 100k.
I'm not sure about the schools, however I assure you the drug culture in NS is NOT as prevalent as Bristol! There are a lot of cranks on this message board so you have to be careful what you read (or believe!).
Drugs are available just as in every country and there are rough areas in Halifax (Gottingen Street, Uniake Sq, Spryfield), but in my opinion Canada is immeasurably safer than big cities in the UK.
Unemployment is high in NS, about 8%, however as with most parts of Canada, it's all about who you know and networking. If you have friends in high places you shouldn't have any problems finding work.

How many immigrants will we find hanging around Gottingen Street or Uniacke Square!!! If we do find them there then we know what they came across for! perhaps Spryfield cause some areas of Spryfield aren't that bad....

Corky Apr 12th 2005 11:27 pm

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. We have decided to take your sound advice and arrange to go on a short stay and get a feel for the place. I spent the last two days going to all the websites that have be recommended and its made it feel even more a possability. We scored well on the skills base and have more than enough points so its definatly the visit over the NS next.

You are absolutely right to visit any province you are considering....not all provinces will suit everyone. As Seacreature said, she found it to sleepy...well perhaps if you are a party animal you may find it sleepy, so I guess it boils down to what interests you. I have lived in several proivinces and really enjoy living in Nova Scotia....so if you can make it with finding a job and if you enjoy the "sleepy" life...well I am sure you will like living here.

seacreature Apr 13th 2005 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Corky
How many immigrants will we find hanging around Gottingen Street or Uniacke Square!!! If we do find them there then we know what they came across for! perhaps Spryfield cause some areas of Spryfield aren't that bad....

I didn't like Spryfield at all, it looked very run down and rather seedy.
Seems like a skid row area to me :D

dkvl Apr 15th 2005 9:00 am

We are also planning on going to Halifax. We have just spent 2 weeks visiting and getting a feel for different areas, looking at some houses, making some contacts re possible future jobs, checking out prices. Like you Wendy, we have also decided on Fall River.

We are now just waiting for our medical requests - hopefully in the next couple of months (AOR beginning of March 2004), then we can start putting things in motion - selling house, lots of car boot sales etc.

Looking forward to catching up with all these people heading to Nova Scotia sometime in the future.

Deborah

Corky Apr 15th 2005 5:35 pm

I think I will have to get in touch with the Halifax regional Muncipality and tell them they will have to change the name from Fall River to Britsville! LOL
Yes Fall River is very nice but what is it that you like about it?

frankieforehead Apr 15th 2005 6:05 pm

I went to Halifax once...It reminded me of a real old colonial place, and it had a gorgeous fish restaurant...can't remember its name now....But the long a short of it all was that a Gay Guy tried to tap off with me and I was to say the least...Flattered...I mean miffed...But other than that if halifax is anything to go by I think NS should be stunning. :)

nivlad Apr 15th 2005 6:39 pm

I lived in Halifax (city of the trees) for 2 years and wish I had never moved. I don't regret much in my life but moving away from NS is my number 1. The winters are long and recently harsh (last 2 years) but the summers are great, very much out-doors country (like most of canada), and very accessible - also, you have the ocean which is a big plus when you come from the south west (I live in PLymouth at the moment). When we moved over, in 1995, my wife found it difficult to find a job (9-12months) and when she got one she didn't really like it. The one thing we found was it felt a little isolated, nearest IKEA (back then)was in Quebec City, a long drive through New Brunswick. However, if I could I would definately move back there in an instant, (I have been offered a job in Guelph, Ont, so there we go).

frankieforehead - was it the 5 Fishermans?

frankieforehead Apr 15th 2005 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by nivlad

frankieforehead - was it the 5 Fishermans?

No there was only one...I could never handle Five of the buggers....Can't remember, but it was a big white place down by the harbour thingy.

nivlad Apr 15th 2005 6:58 pm

was it Salties

frankieforehead Apr 15th 2005 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by nivlad
was it Salties

It may have been....