Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving across the pond - advice please!

Thinking of moving across the pond - advice please!

Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:29 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving across the pond - advice please!

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll get more helpfull posts soon.
Says the poster in Glasgow, Scotland.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not at all paranoid. You implied that the posts prior to yours were not helpful. Mine was one of those.
I implied nothing, YOU took it upon yourself to feel persecuted.

Anyway, this is doing nothing for the op, so case closed.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

WOW, so much negativity on this forum it's frightening!

Do you all have little pagers that tell you when there's a victim on the forum?

Sad.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Says the poster in Glasgow, Scotland.
If you're going to start something, be a bit more clearer please, don't just run off after a snide wee comment.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to start something, be a bit more clearer please, don't just run off after a snide wee comment.
I think she was waiting to see your valuable contribution to the detailed question from the OP.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This was a snide wee comment:

"Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll get more helpfull posts soon." (sic)

to which posts did it refer?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
I think she was waiting to see your valuable contribution to the detailed question from the OP.
You mean like YOURS?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

You mean like YOURS?
Mine was factitious, however it was you who made the criticism.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I just think it's odd for a poster who, no offence, doesn't live here yet, to be telling people who do AND who are answering the OP's question that they aren't helpful. I can only assume Oink is right and you take offence when people don't sing Canada's praises.

That is all.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Mine was factitious, however it was you who made the criticism.
So you think it's ok to answer a detailed question with a link to a fake Google page asking how long a piece of string is?

Perhaps the poster did use Google and it came up with a "British Expats" link.

So what, they're not allowed to ask questions here anymore? May as well close the forum down then, but then, where would you guys troll.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

So you think it's ok to answer a detailed question with a link to a fake Google page asking how long a piece of string is?

Perhaps the poster did use Google and it came up with a "British Expats" link.

So what, they're not allowed to ask questions here anymore? May as well close the forum down then, but then, where would you guys troll.
It was an unanswerable question with NO detail. Re-read the original OP post. The use of the phrase "detailed question" by myself was meant to to be sarcastic/ironic.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

It was an unanswerable question with NO detail. Re-read the original OP post. The use of the phrase "detailed question" by myself was meant to to be sarcastic/ironic.
Well don't answer then, simple.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandLeah
Thanks everyone. I would rather people be honest than tell me it will be a walk in that park when it wont be! We have been looking at Saskatchewan but we are not really sure where to go to be honest. I've just been on the truck forum and found a very intersting post about the driving saying 10-12 days on and then 2 off which really isnt a lot. My 4 and 3 year old are hard work at the best of times but having my OH way for 2 weeks at a time has made me think. I knew it would be long haul but was thinking 5 days at time. I think a lot more research and thinking is required!!!
Two weeks might be a short run. Some truckers go from city to city, hauling whatever and wherever. I had a friend who did this for a while, he was gone for many weeks. Not sure if that was choice or not. There are short haul jobs, but don't pay as much. He might want to consider short haul until you settle in more. Moving countries takes a lot of readjustment, no matter how confident and excited one feels starting out on the immigration process. Being left alone with kids as you settle in may not be the fun and exciting time you imagine.

With regard to lifestyle and finances, only you know the answer to that. Depends entirely on what your expectations are. Our lifestyle in Canada is different from the UK, we are now better off than we were there, but it took a while. Finances went up and down (bit like my job really), but mostly that was from choice, taking some jobs for the fun/adventure element. Once I had to get back to paying bills, had to go back to a 'proper job'.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 9th 2012 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:01 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, so much negativity on this forum it's frightening!

Do you all have little pagers that tell you when there's a victim on the forum?

Sad.
part of the course on here. BE is more about sarcasm, ego and and a desire to show how clever one is, rather than wanting to connect with Brits or offer sound advice.....generalizations aside, of course.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:02 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

i rest my case......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.