British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Thinking of moving across the pond - advice please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/thinking-moving-across-pond-advice-please-744347/)

MattandLeah Jan 9th 2012 12:48 pm

Thinking of moving across the pond - advice please!

Me and my partner are thinking of moving to Canada. We looked into this about 4 years ago but couldn't do it as neither of us had a skill. My partner has now retrained as a truch driver and has both his class 1 & 2 and his ADR with nearly 4 years experiance. We have a young family with 3 children under 5 so though now would be a good time to go before the kids get to settled at school. I'm on maternity leave at the moment but once that runs out I'm going to need to get a job to help cover bills, providing I can do that we will have enough money to pay all the bills and have about £150p/m left for other things i.e clothes for the kids. In reality, would moving to Canada be of benifit to us finacially? Will we be any better off? I don't have a skill so would I be able to get a job out there if needs be? We really want to give the kids a better life and lets face it, the way things are in this country at the moment, the UK wont have a lot to offer them when they are grown up!! I know moving will be very hard, not having family and friends around but if this could be the answer then why not give it a go? I really hope someone can give us so real, honest advice please!

Tangram Jan 9th 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Thinking of moving across the pond - advice please!

Originally Posted by MattandLeah (Post 9830389)
Me and my partner are thinking of moving to Canada. We looked into this about 4 years ago but couldn't do it as neither of us had a skill. My partner has now retrained as a truch driver and has both his class 1 & 2 and his ADR with nearly 4 years experiance. We have a young family with 3 children under 5 so though now would be a good time to go before the kids get to settled at school. I'm on maternity leave at the moment but once that runs out I'm going to need to get a job to help cover bills, providing I can do that we will have enough money to pay all the bills and have about £150p/m left for other things i.e clothes for the kids. In reality, would moving to Canada be of benifit to us finacially? Will we be any better off? I don't have a skill so would I be able to get a job out there if needs be? We really want to give the kids a better life and lets face it, the way things are in this country at the moment, the UK wont have a lot to offer them when they are grown up!! I know moving will be very hard, not having family and friends around but if this could be the answer then why not give it a go? I really hope someone can give us so real, honest advice please!

Try this

http://bit.ly/ydQxDW

MattandLeah Jan 9th 2012 12:54 pm

[The link wont work!:(

Atlantic Xpat Jan 9th 2012 12:58 pm

How much do you collectively earn in the UK? (I don't want to know, but you need that info for your decision).

How much could you earn in Canada? (Try the trucking forum, someone might be able to answer you there)

What will it cost you to move? (At least $10k to fly you, yours, and ship some possessions over)

That will answer the financial question. Then you are onto the "lifestyle" question which is much more intangible.

My sense is that financially you are unlikely to be better off, simply as I don't believe that truck drivers earn signficantly more here than in the UK. (But I don't know that for sure.) So, the costs of moving will put you out of pocket.

Tangram Jan 9th 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MattandLeah (Post 9830407)
[The link wont work!:(

Works for me

dbd33 Jan 9th 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9830416)
That will answer the financial question. Then you are onto the "lifestyle" question which is much more intangible.

It's pretty tangible for a truck driver. He'll be gone most of the time so she'll be effectively a single mother. I don't see how a truck driver's wife with young children could profit from having a job, the day care would cost as much as she could earn, so I think this is a recipe for lonely poverty. And then you have to look at the kinds of places from which the transport companies operate; it's easy to see how they get drivers to stay away from home for weeks on end.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 9th 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9830429)
It's pretty tangible for a truck driver. He'll be gone most of the time so she'll be effectively a single mother. I don't see how a truck driver's wife with young children could profit from having a job, the day care would cost as much as she could earn, so I think this is a recipe for lonely poverty. And then you have to look at the kinds of places from which the transport companies operate; it's easy to see how they get drivers to stay away from home for weeks on end.

I didn't want to pile on too much at once....;)

dbd33 Jan 9th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9830431)
I didn't want to pile on too much at once....;)

I thought I was being gentle. I think the truck driver would be alright, sleeping in a noisy cab must be rough but he'd get to see lots of the US, albeit only the highways and truck stops. The wife though, stuck in some freezing place like Manitoba with small children, no money, and no one to talk to, she'd have to be coming from somewhere very rough for that to be better.

Dave n Ailsa Jan 9th 2012 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll get more helpfull posts soon.

Almost Canadian Jan 9th 2012 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 9830451)

The posts may not be what she wanted to here but there is a large dollop of truth in what has been stated above.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 9th 2012 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 9830451)

Please explain what was unhelpful about my post?

MattandLeah Jan 9th 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone. I would rather people be honest than tell me it will be a walk in that park when it wont be! We have been looking at Saskatchewan but we are not really sure where to go to be honest. I've just been on the truck forum and found a very intersting post about the driving saying 10-12 days on and then 2 off which really isnt a lot. My 4 and 3 year old are hard work at the best of times but having my OH way for 2 weeks at a time has made me think. I knew it would be long haul but was thinking 5 days at time. I think a lot more research and thinking is required!!! :unsure:

Dave n Ailsa Jan 9th 2012 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9830474)

Your post was great, why so paranoid? :D

Atlantic Xpat Jan 9th 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 9830542)
Your post was great, why so paranoid? :D

Not at all paranoid. You implied that the posts prior to yours were not helpful. Mine was one of those.

Oink Jan 9th 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9830474)

I suspect Dave simply wants all posts to affirm and celebrate his decision emigrate to Canada and regards all that do not as hostile.

To the OP, welcome to the forum and you're right to be hesitant. North America is not a kind and forgiving place unless you have a high status job. Holiday time and general working hours and conditions can be very poor indeed.