Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving

Thinking of moving

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving

Originally Posted by Liz marshall
Thanks for this really helpful. Did the cats cope with it ok ?

Liz
They found it hard but are ok. One is now petrified of cat carriers but both despite being elderly have particularly enjoyed being house cats in winter and sun bathers in the garden in the summer and one has become demon mouse and squirrel catcher!
Cat food is different over there, no pouches so it's all tubs and tins, but still get whiskas and iams etc. Would suggest making sure they are eating one you can get thereto help them settle in.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh another thing, airlines will not fly live cargo if the ground temperature at any airport to land/depart at is below a certain temp so look at the time of year you are flying. (Ours went early December and it was touch and go if we could get them through ok air Canada point blank refused so they flew with British airways)

Also look at no of connections/transfers (when ours flew with a carrier they would only fly direct so went lhr to Calgary and we drove down to collect them.)
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Liz marshall is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

We where thinking of flying direct somewhere that is the shortest flight and hiring somthing and driving the rest of the way
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Depending in time of year:

Flights to Edmonton -
May-October, Gatwick is direct with westjet, 9 hours
Indirect with icelandair via Reykjavik but very quick changeover so about 11hrs.
Winter, icelandair is a better option in my experience, summer westjet if you can get it (but westjet charge for luggage icelandair give you 2 23kg bags each).

Other drivable airport is Calgary, 3 hr drive. Loads of direct flights but realistically by the time you add on the 3 hr drive it's not much quicker than the indirect to yeg.
Not really any other options for airports in the region.

(We are back in the uk at the moment but oh is still in St. Albert and will be releasing his lease in may/June so if you are heading out around then let me know and we can put you in touch with the landlord).
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again. That would have been great but not sure when we will be going. The husband is finalising job offer details then we will need to sort visas etc. So all up in the air at the moment
Old Feb 4th 2017, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Shane08 is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife & I have lived in Edmonton for nearly 2 years now, I'll be honest it's not my favourite place & had it not been for the job here it's not where I would've chose to live.

Having said that,a big part of that is because it's so far from the ocean. The city itself is growing, they are building the ice district centered around the new hockey rink which will brighten the downtown core up. The winters are pretty harsh but we do have 4 small ski hills here, the summers are nice & alot of festivals happen through July/August, you have elk Island just east of the city which I love. I would say for living look at the smaller towns surrounding, depending on where the job is ST Albert is very nice & was voted one of the best places to live in Canada or something.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:08 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Liz, thank you for starting such an interesting thread

I too think it's the huge diversity of personal experiences that makes BE so magic.

I have visited Edmonton a few times and have spent quite a bit of time in Calgary, and they neither seemed so much more terribly ghastly than lots of other bits of Canada. In my bit it's -22 right now so hardly idyllic either.

I came with three cats one dog. The animals made the journey fine. Domestic Cats in particular seem to travel well, I've had a few more sensitive souls that I've picked up on travels and they can get a bit het up, but moggies do well. Mine too like roasting themselves in the summer and slumbering away the winter, although I have a big ten year old Tom who rolls his shoulder and marches through the snow like a true pro...the look on his Face is sheer disgust, but he won't let it stop him!

Walking the dog in winter is a pain,

Very best of luck
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Hi again,

So the move to Edmonton is on, and I have been looking at places to live, and would welcomed me any feedback on Leduc and St Alberta . I think some one said that they may have a limited to how many dog you can have per house hold any info on this would be really helpful, and if anyone know of any good property's to rent I these areas that would be great. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Moving in November so any advise on dealing with the winter would be great. We have decided to make the move, and see it as an adventure and see what happens.

Thanks

Liz
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Where to live will really depend on commute to work and things you like to do/kids/budget etc.

We were in st a, great for kids, typical suburb/desperate housewives wannabes, good rugby club etc, less exciting for nightlife! Not as great to commute into downtown ed. alright for getting to east side thanks to new highway.
Leduc is good for access to the airport and the qe2 highway to Calgary.

We recently moved our cats back to the uk and actually the moving them yourself was a doddle and really don't need to pay the silly transport costs, just need to do some proper planning and have all the paperwork done. You have time to look at that properly.

First winter you will just not leave the house but you'll get more confident with it as time goes on! Make sure you have decent boots, coats etc and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Thank you, my husband will be working at finning so not sure which side that is, thanks for advise, and about the cats. I was thinking of doing them ourselves and this gives me confidence we can do it

Thanks again

Liz
Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, my husband will be working at finning so not sure which side that is, thanks for advise, and about the cats. I was thinking of doing them ourselves and this gives me confidence we can do it

Thanks again

Liz
Looking at addresses that's West edmonton so St. Albert wouldn't be bad for commuting (although crossing hw 16 is always a pain of a junction).

South St. Albert - heritage lakes is alright and easy to get to west ed, grandin is more council estatey, akinsdale better than Grandin but still a bit rough, Lacombe, deer ridge and Erin ridge, oakmont are especially nice! Check kijiji and rent faster for rental properties to give you a feel.

West Ed and south ed are nicer parts of Edmonton, personally I'd be avoiding north side.

Re pets - look at the webpage of whoever you are flying with and they will explain the process. There is some vet paperwork (pet passport type) and you need a specific size carrier - we had to buy different for coming home to going out as klm had different rules to ba.
If they fly as excess baggage with you you check them in with your bags and collect them at the other end as bags (they don't go round the conveyorbelt😂) so really really easy.

Coming to uk my hubby was moved seats so he could get to them if needed - he didn't know where they were but we assume in the staff bit or similar hold Area. The cats were so much calmer from this journey than the one going out where they were with a transport company.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

So the move to Edmonton is on, and I have been looking at places to live, and would welcomed me any feedback on Leduc and St Alberta . I think some one said that they may have a limited to how many dog you can have per house hold any info on this would be really helpful, and if anyone know of any good property's to rent I these areas that would be great. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Moving in November so any advise on dealing with the winter would be great. We have decided to make the move, and see it as an adventure and see what happens.

Thanks

Liz
Leduc:
https://www.leduc.ca/animal-pet-control

(Follow the link to the bylaw & you'll find that 3 dogs & 3 cats are allowed.)

St-Albert:
https://stalbert.ca/uploads/legislat...aw18_2015).pdf
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bert07
Where to live will really depend on commute to work and things you like to do/kids/budget etc.

We were in st a, great for kids, typical suburb/desperate housewives wannabes, good rugby club etc, less exciting for nightlife! Not as great to commute into downtown ed. alright for getting to east side thanks to new highway.
Leduc is good for access to the airport and the qe2 highway to Calgary.

We recently moved our cats back to the uk and actually the moving them yourself was a doddle and really don't need to pay the silly transport costs, just need to do some proper planning and have all the paperwork done. You have time to look at that properly.

First winter you will just not leave the house but you'll get more confident with it as time goes on! Make sure you have decent boots, coats etc and you'll be fine.
Hi,

Just want to thank you for advise. We picked St. Albert and love it, and you where right about the winter, not coping well with the driving 😂😂

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.