Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going back :(

Thinking of going back :(

Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of going back :(

All the best for sure.
Doing the right thing making the kids more accessible to their mates by moving. Good on you too for the rep hockey - good way to integrate. My kids did house league (both sexes) and made great friends that way. I agree, one step at a time.....

And fingers crossed for you too.

Last edited by misplacedheidi; Sep 21st 2012 at 11:26 pm. Reason: Sending luck
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lcar
A couple of weeks on, and we're still hanging in there
We talked a lot with my daughter, explained that we really can't afford to move back to the UK at the moment, talked about what isn't going well for her and why.
The bottom line is we are poorer here than we have ever been. Once we've paid the bills, it is a question of sharing out cash for gas, and buying pasta and cheese and tomato sauce to live on for a fortnight at a time with what's left.
It's depressing. No question. But bearable in the long run.
I still think it's a matter of time before I find a job, and that things will improve then. As the months go by, and the familiar experiences return, we will feel more at home.
We are compromising, and moving from our house in the bush just outside town, to a smaller house in town close to their schools, where the children can walk to friends' houses (and school) - at least, we will be when someone buys our house. We're hoping that will help the older children feel more 'at home'.
The hockey season has also started, and they are all settled in their respective rep teams (for which we are paying fortnightly) - which will definitely make them feel that they belong.
I would say things are going a bit better - I just need that elusive job.
Thanks all for your support and understanding - much appreciated.
Ive just come back to this thread after reading it when you first posted, youve got some great advice on here and this post re what youre doing sounds like youve got a good grip on things. I work with teenagers who have emotional and behavioral difficulties (don't they all i hear you all shout)
Your daughter sounds like a pretty normal teenager and you sitting down talking with her will have defo helped. Gawd id hate to be that age again wouldn't you.
Im sure things will work out and im looking forward to seeing on here that it has. Just keep doing what youre doing
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
Gawd id hate to be that age again wouldn't you.
I'd LOVE to be that age again!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

getting a job depends on what province you are in, here in Alberta there are load of unskilled jobs lots of skilled and if you are a nurse here in Calgary just opened a new hospital and lots of nurse jobs, but we found it hard to get a job on an open work permit no one would set my wife on. step son just got his PR and got 2 jobs straight away both semi skilled, but we went to BC and found things expencive compared with Alberta dont get me wrong lovely place to live
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'd LOVE to be that age again!
Really!!!! I was so hormonal when i think back crying, shouting, happy sad i didnt have a clue what was going on i loved the no worries etc but the hormonal bitwas a mare forme lol x