Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Old May 6th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Originally Posted by TheJonesFamily
Hi Andy

Just to let you know I'm off on my own little reccie on Thursday this week for 4 days. I'm checking out the Elementary school and properties in the area. I'll let you know my thoughts on my return.

Bex
We look forward to seeing you again Bex
Old May 6th 2009, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Sidney sounds ideal ... so it prompts the question - what's the downside i.e. are house prices totally unaffordable or am I just a 'jaded pom?'

Where might be a good place to stay in Sidney for a couple of days / or a week i.e. ideally self catering / house swap to keep costs down (and to give the kids some space???)

What are the travel times like from Sidney to say Langford, Colwood, Sooke etc. in terms of taking a day out to visit each in turn?

Thanks

Andy
We have lived in Sidney now for the last 9 years and have made it our home.
House prices here are pretty expensive. The average 2-3 bedroom single family home will set you back over 220000 uk pounds. The place is geared towards seniors so expect a lot of old people on electric scooters or driving very large cars exceptionally slowly.

There are no large chain stores so you will have to go to Victoria if you want big ticket items. A lot of the restaurants empty out by 8.30pm due again to the senior population going to bed, so the town does become quite quiet during the evening, except in the summer when the tourists keep it a little more lively.

If you need a place that offers self catering try the Cedarwood Inn. My parents stayed there once and they really liked it. Right by the sea on Lockside.

http://www.thecedarwood.ca/

Times to Colwood, Langford are about 40 mins, Sooke, Im guessing an hour or more. Victoria is about 30 mins.

If you want a sleepy seaside town, with a friendly community then sidney is definitely worth a look. The schools are great, 3 supermarkets with good choice of food, easy access to all health services (doctors, dentists etc). There is a market every thursday in the summer which is always popular with the locals, they are building a new bandstand which will host entertainers during the summer months. They have the Mary Winspear centre which hosts bands, exhibits, plays etc. The only time we feel we need to leave and shop further a field is for the likes of clothes, big ticket items.

There are 2 parades a year, build a boat contest, lots of community events around canada day. A fishing pier, 2 major hotels, restaurants, tons of bookstores, second hand and new, whale watching, sidney spit, marina, I could go on, but you get my drift.

Anyway hope you find what you are looking for. By the way I see you are from Chester, I'm from the Wirral myself. Loved the roman walls in chester and the dee.

Last edited by Spongebob; May 6th 2009 at 4:55 am.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:17 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Andy,

I wouldn't worry to much about the school as such. Most schools tend to serve a subdivision / region of town so unless you’re on the wrong side of
the tracks, shouldn’t have any worries.

One thing to look out for is overcrowding. The school our kids when to, looked great. Brand new cracking facilities however demand exceeded supply and kids were in portacabins in the playground. Assuming you’ll rent on arrival, its best to rent in an area you may buy in to avoid changing schools although this isn’t always practical.

Read your Threads 25 & 39, they could’ve been written by myself especially the reason for going back being the kids. I wondered how you feel about being re-settled back here in Chester and relocating back to Van Island with all the hassles, costs, upset, etc. In the current climate how do you feel about walking out of a job and job hunting over there ?
Old May 6th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Hi Andy and Sal
I hope the island is what you both are looking for,it was for me. Liz and I have lived just outside Ladysmith for 7 years now and have never regretted a single moment.I would suggest Nanaimo as a base to explore the central Island,it is large by Island standards and has some good family orientated accommodation at a fair price.Within an hour north you will find Parksville and a host of smaller funky places.Within an hour south you can reach Ladysmith,Chemainus,Duncan and Lake Cowichan,lots of smaller places too.Let us all know how it goes for you,who knows we may get together over a BBQ one day.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

Hi,

Sorry I missed this thread. We used homeforexchange.com. Good luck with your trip.

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
Wendy,

thanks - what website did you use to organise house swap??
Old May 7th 2009, 10:32 am
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future

In no particular order …. thank you to TheJonesFamily (Bex) Maddhobs, WendyS, Jempee, Bananahammock (Sal my wife explained what that means to me last weekend ... ) Monkeypuzzle, Tanah, dboy, happylandings, Edna Buckett, Islandboy, SpongeBob, Fuschiagirl, rwin, Buchan6 and Canada Hopeful … and anyone I’ve missed … for the thought and time you’ve obviously put into your posts and PM’s

Other people on other sites post have been a bit Nike i.e. ‘just do it’ and whilst that might be sound advice its not the way I want to go about things (not with 3 kids anyway) having been bitten on the arse once before … so thanks for answering our many questions …

As said in #39 our trip has two purposes a) to experience the lifestyle and b) to see if it’s a practical move for us i.e. house prices, work, schools etc. and all your comments have been duly taken on board … even if I haven’t always got around to replying to each and every post due to work etc.

If it’s OK with you guys, I’ve asked Sally (my missus – a lot more relaxed / laid back than me - so her posts shouldn’t be so OCD) to pick up with any of you who are happy to help (in any way you think you can) in terms of actually getting on and planning our itinerary, accommodation, route etc. as apart from being better at organising trips than I am, I’m also finding that I’m getting far too excited / distracted by it all and not doing any work which given the current economic climate is not clever …

If you could help her with anything I’d really appreciate it i.e. I’m sure she will want to know as much as possible about schools (Bex - really look forward to hearing what you have to say after your reccie next week) house prices (Maddhobs would it be possible to organise some viewing via you on a purely ‘informational’ basis i.e. we won’t be buying this August but would like to know … give or take … what our savings might stretch to) and ideas for days out for the kids etc.

Equally if your happy to tell /or ideally show us around your communities we’d love to organise our itinerary around those opportunities to meet ‘those who have done it’ (that may be a new acronym TWHDI) so that we get to see the real side of communities as opposed to the ‘view from the Highway’ and hear about your own experiences directly …

There you go ...I'm off again .... so whilst attempting not o ‘script’ all the things Sal might want to ask you about please shout if you think we missed any obvious consideration in terms of the reccie i.e. it occurred to us the other day that we might have to pre-book ferries in August etc.

Lastly in response to Island Boy’s question about why we are even considering going through the whole emigration process again … to be honest at this stage we aren’t sure that we will (that’s what the reccie is all about) … i.e. that’s what I meant in #39 about trying to keep an ‘open mind’ but equally trying (through research / reccie planning etc.) to ‘stack’ the cards in our favour in term of coming away and making a ‘sound’ decision one way or another …

Yes we love the idea of having a fresh start with the kids in Canada but equally we learnt the hard way last time that it can EXTREMELY stressful and EXTREMELY expensive if it doesn’t work out - so hats off to all of you that pulled it off the first time trying …

That said we also took a lot of lessons from 2003 and while yes, the scars make you think twice about ever even attempting it again, the reality is that we would do anything (as I’m sure any parent would) to give their kids and better future …

In summary we are ‘optimistically cacking it’ ….

Andy
Old May 7th 2009, 5:31 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Andy, Sal,

YOu make the following quote.
"the reality is that we would do anything (as I’m sure any parent would) to give their kids and better future …"

Chesters not exactly scroatsville and a nice part of the world so how/why do you feel the above is true ?

Not taking the p*ss by this query, I have same views as a driver to return so would be keen to hear your views.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:31 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

In no particular order …. thank you to TheJonesFamily (Bex) Maddhobs, WendyS, Jempee, Bananahammock (Sal my wife explained what that means to me last weekend ... ) Monkeypuzzle, Tanah, dboy, happylandings, Edna Buckett, Islandboy, SpongeBob, Fuschiagirl, rwin, Buchan6 and Canada Hopeful … and anyone I’ve missed … for the thought and time you’ve obviously put into your posts and PM’s

Andy

Noooooo I got it from an old episode of Friends when Phoebe decided to change her name ........ Filthy mind Sal!!
Old May 7th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Maddhobs would it be possible to organise some viewing via you on a purely ‘informational’ basis i.e. we won’t be buying this August but would like to know … give or take … what our savings might stretch to
Hi Andy and Sal,

We can definitely do that in August - this is something that we have done with other Brits emigrating plus people moving here from other Provinces. Like you said it is a good way to find out what you are able to get and where. The house/area, together with schools and job finding, will be a big factor in deciding where you may eventually choose to emigrate to. Just let us know when you will be here and we can arrange to meet up. Look forward to meeting you
Old May 9th 2009, 6:00 pm

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future

Buchan6,

Sorry I confused you with Island Boy.

It’s a good question and it 'should' be an easy one to answer once we’ve made up our mind as to whether Attempt #2 is for us or not … but the truth is that we haven’t yet … it very much depends on our reccie in August .

At this stage I can list our ‘negatives’ i.e. why ‘we’ (and obviously this is just how we see things) want to leave the North West … but maybe I should also balance it with a separate post listing all the positives (in terms of attraction) that has us considering Van. Island / Cowichan i.e. I think it is important for there to be a ‘balance’ as otherwise it would just be ‘running away’ and I’m not sure that’s a sound strategy for happy endings …

So for what it’s worth …

Reasons for coming back to the UK in 2003 … or so I thought …

1. We could fly to Europe every weekend … you can’t do that in Canada you know … guess what - its not so do’able with 3 kids and big mortgage as maybe I had convinced myself it would be …

2. I missed my family & friends … again guess what … I see less of them know that I used to … kids seem to be very ‘demanding’ time-wise …

3. The PUB … if I get out once a month it’s been a good month

4. Culture #1 … I do love the old fabric of the UK (hence Chester as a resettlement location on our return) and I know I’ll miss it (though I didn’t have an architecturally appreciative bone in my body before 2003) … but is that a good enough reason to stay???

5. Culture #2 ... one of the things that really ‘p*ssed’ me off in 2003 was that I couldn’t buy beer other than from a govt. off-licence … don’t know why but it did – I think it justified (for me) what at the time, was a long list of things that were ‘backward’ about Canada ... I wasn't in a 'good place'

So now back in the UK where you can buy a beer ANYWHERE all I see are pissed 13, 14, 15 year olds wobbling down the street every weekend, beer cans, vomit and very overweight ‘lass’s’ flashing their boobs just before falling into the gutter …

Not only don’t I want my kids seeing that … I don’t want them doing it in 10 years time … though I’m sure there is a Canadian equivalent!!!

Reasons for thinking we made a bad call in returning (now that we have 3 kids) ….

1. Weather is a biggie … for us weather = lifestyle!!!

Maybe I’m looking back with gold rimmed specs but we don’t seem to have a summer anymore … the kids seem have spent the last 2 / 3 summer holidays inside our house or inside a ‘play barn’ and I’m not sure I’ve had shorts on since 2005.

We seem to move from autumn (grey and mild) to winter (grey and damp) to spring (grey and wet) to summer (grey and warm … ish.)

I’m not sure what you do in Winter / Spring (and I’m not being sarcastic in asking) but there is only so many times you can go to the Albert Dock, Liverpool Museum or for a walk in the park … I’d like to take my kids Skiing, maybe go Storm watching etc.

Summer activities … ? yeah I could go camping in North Wales or kayaking on the Irish Sea in ‘summer’ … but frankly I’d like not to have to take 3 different types of cloths for the kids depending on ‘what the weather might do … I’d like to maybe go out sailing or camping and come home with a suntan???

In summary, weather (at least for us more ‘fair weather types) = lifestyle … we’ve had probably 5 BBQ’s since we’ve been back and I’d be surprised is 4 of those haven’t been of the ‘inside’ variety …

2. Places vs. Activities …

Sort of tied into the weather again but the UK seems to be about ‘seeing places’ or ‘shopping’ … Canada seems to be more about ‘doing things’ … and we really want that for our kids ...

There has got to more to life on a Saturday than shopping …??? It drives us insane, but as a nation we seem to have no imagination (generalisation I admit) than to maybe (and only if we are feeling adventurous) going to Manchester Trafford Shopping Centre as opposed to Liverpool One Shopping Centre

3. Work / Life Balance …

Again I’m not sure of your experience but houses are so bloody expensive here that it usually takes both parents working to make the finances work on a monthly basis … certainly that’s how it is with most of our friends …

Sal and I made a decision when Ryan was born that we’d like to be able to have her stay at home and raise the kids and so far, luckily, it has paid off i.e. we don’t have a lot left over each month and I’m out each morning before 8 and not usually back before 7 / 7.30 most nights but we’ve done OK but equally my kids are growing up and I seem to be missing it …

Equally we’re getting to the limit of space at the moment i.e. the two boys share and Indie has the ‘box room’ so what do we do next … loft extension (£20-£25k) or 4 bedroom house (extra £50k) … that means me changing job (probably to Manchester to get the wage I’d need) or Sal going back to work …

4. City vs. Rural …

I’m not sure where you are in the NW but is its anything like here the further you want to live away from the City the MORE expensive it is i.e. our house in a village in Cheshire would probably be 30-50% more expensive … which is a bit of a bugger as we’d like to live in a rural community ...

Hence Cowichan ... ideally a self supporting rural community (one where you can buy some groceries and go to dinner) … Mill Bay / Cobble Hill ... and then travel to work in the City …

5. Different Opportunities …

This maybe unrealistic but I want my kids to have different work opportunities than they would have available to them here (ski-instructor, raft instructor, adventure tours vs. the office ….???)

I’d like to have different opportunities myself … I’ve been working in the business services sector for 20 years (business / management consultancy, IT, operations etc.) and I’m BORED BORED BORED !!!!!

In summary … we need a change and if its not now – then it ain’t going to be later ??

Sorry so long a post … but you did ask …

What are your own thoughts on why not UK and equally why Canada???
Andy
Old May 9th 2009, 7:26 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Andy
PM'ed you
Old May 10th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Hi Andy
I read your last posting with interest, it brought back memories of exactly where I was 8 years ago. Your comment about being bored was particularly poignant. I could have written it myself! That was me. If I hadn't made the move I feel I would still be struggling against odds I could never beat. Worse still, I would have been wiped out by the current economic disaster, seeing as I ran my own business. I too thought I'd miss Blighty a lot more than I actually did. When I went back to see my Mum awhile ago, sad as the parting was I was actually missing Canada. I missed the snow-capped mountains and the beautiful ocean views! I will send you a PM.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:33 am

Guy's ... thanks for your posts / PM's / private email addresses etc. … appreciated...

You can thank Buchan6 for this next line of thought as (I think) it is essentially what his post #52 was asking ... and in gathering up my own thoughts to answer him I got to thinking about all this stuff myself ... not before time perhaps

Anyway, whilst I'm still very interested in learning about the practical aspects of a successful emigration story (reccie etc?) I’m also intrigued by the lessons learnt in respect to what ‘drove’ people from the UK / attracted them to Canada BC, their expectations of emigration / the reality and importantly the goals they set themselves and the lessons learnt … yes I’ve read WIKI!!!

Equally whilst that interest applies to '1st time' sucessful emigrants, given our own (perhaps) unfinished emigration story, I'm also really interested those who emigrated successfully … but perhaps only on their 2nd or even 3rd attempt ….

What did those emigrants think would be better back in Blighty on their initial return and what was the reality when they got back here for a period of time … what was the turning point when they realised that perhaps the move back to the UK hadn't been the best move …???

What has made their subsequent emigrations successful i.e. what was the change in attitudes, what lessons did the return trip drum into them, how did they revise their expectations or short-term goals in respect to the emigration …

By way of a couple of examples.... everything for me in 2003 to Canada BC was a comparison with the UK ... you can't buy beer from any old off-licence, you can’t buy your car insurance for 300 different providers, you can’t bank for free nor get cheap mobile (cell) deals etc. etc. etc. … equally 2003 for me was full-on emigration - I quit the job, sold the house, exchanged the money etc. put a huge amount of pressure on myself etc. so maybe this time … do I make it a 'family experience' for 12 - 18 month period and in taking the pressure off myself make it more likely to succeed ...?

I'd appreciate your thoughts but equally appreciate that its 'off-thread' so I'll post as a new thread ... '1st, 2nd or 3rd emigration success ...??' under Canada and perhaps on the Moving Back to the UK forum … I’ll let you know how I get on ...

Andy
Old May 11th 2009, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

SaladDays is an unknown quantity at this point

What has made their subsequent emigrations successful i.e. what was the change in attitudes, what lessons did the return trip drum into them, how did they revise their expectations or short-term goals in respect to the emigration …
Kids - they say they change everything and they do -including attitudes.

You suddenly find yourself doing things you never considered and will probably never be thanked for
Old May 12th 2009, 8:52 am

Hi everyone, it's Sal here, Andy's OH ... just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and say a huge thank you to all of you who have written and advised us on everything...

I'll keep this one brief so please forgive the typos etc. as I have already had a glass of wine having just put the kids down!!

Bex, I am wondering how your reccie went? Did you get everything out of it that you wanted - any tips to pass on?

I don't have a lot to add at the moment as I'm still in the process of mapping out and organizing the trip ... I'll advise as it starts to come together and then try and agree dates with anyone who is happy to meet up / show us around etc.

Okay I guess that should be it for now, I did say I was going to be brief didn't I!

Thanks guys

Sal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.