Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:26 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
The summit of Mount Tzouhalem has a view to die for.
Yep, a friend took this photo from there ...
Attached Thumbnails Thinkin about The Island - again!!-tzouhalem-tree%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

TheJonesFamily will become famous soon enoughTheJonesFamily will become famous soon enough

Maple Bay is certainly not inaccesible...

Duncan, if you judge it by the strip is not particularly pretty but there are some very beautiful areas and downtown is kinda quaint.
Hi Edna

I stand corrected on the Maple Bay front. I was thinking it was further around that long road to Genoa Bay. Thanks for clarifying.

As for Duncan, I was certainly referring to the strip and not any of the residential areas which we didn't really explore in any detail. We're certainly not ruling it out yet - it seems to have some lovely character homes there which other areas don't have. I agree that downtown is kinda quaint, but I suppose I was comparing it to pretty English Cotswold villages, which is a little unfair given the history of the architecture. Just different I suppose

Where do you live (if I may be so bold) ?

Bex
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

TheJonesFamily will become famous soon enoughTheJonesFamily will become famous soon enough

Hi Tanah

Really great to hear your thoughts on Mill Bay area. Thank you. Sounds like life is working out really well for you there.

I'm so pleased that you are happy with the schools. It is an area that concerns me a little.

Maybe we'll be neighbours one day

Bex
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:31 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheJonesFamily
Hi Edna

Where do you live (if I may be so bold) ?

Bex
Maple Bay!

I am one of those folks that has to be near the ocean. We kayak a lot between April and November and sail all year round, there are so many beautiful places to go to around here that you just never get tired of it.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:36 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Edna

As for Duncan, I was certainly referring to the strip and not any of the residential areas which we didn't really explore in any detail. We're certainly not ruling it out yet
If you think the Cowichan Valley is for you and you need a realtor I can recommend a very good one who is used to helping British folks. Just let me know and I will forward the details to you.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Maple Bay!

I am one of those folks that has to be near the ocean. We kayak a lot between April and November and sail all year round, there are so many beautiful places to go to around here that you just never get tired of it.
Sounds gorgeous. I'm getting very excited about it already.

Thanks for offer of realtor contact, but I already have one. Maybe the same one?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Can any Cowichan Valley locals recommend a nice and reasonably priced B&B? I'm coming over on my own for a very quick visit to check out schools and properies on 7th May to 11th May. I'd like a nice, friendly place to stay. We had a bit of a B&B disaster last year and i'd rather avoid a repeat.

I'd ideally like to stay in the Cobble Hill/Mill Bay/Duncan area. I may spend my first (7th) and last (10th) night in Victoria to avoid too much travelling on those days, but haven't decided yet.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Bex
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

. I agree that downtown is kinda quaint, but I suppose I was comparing it to pretty English Cotswold villages, which is a little unfair given the history of the architecture.
There is nowhere in BC that is as pretty or as quaint as the English Cotswolds - it's one thing small towns don't have typically in Canada. The smaller they are, the uglier they tend to be.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:53 pm
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Everyone - thankyou (genuinely) for all your comments, thoughts and suggestions - really appreciated

Giving a bit context to all these 'bloody questions' I keep asking ...

Our 2003 UK-Canada-UK emigration attempt was a bloody disaster ... anyone thinking of emigrating would be well advised to read the Wiki and 'Moving Back to the UK' forum before they even think about the move ... I did for the FIRST TIME last night

Anyway, long-story short, we fell in love with Vancouver when we were in our twenties, doing mac-jobs and living in a one bedroom apartment in Kits but for lots of reasons (work primarily) we ended up living in the UK instead.

When Ryan arrived however, (that's him in the Avatar covered in snakes on his 7th B'Day this month) all our priorities turned on their heads and we decided to make the move back to Canada for the lifestyle Ryan could have there growing up ...

Unfortunately it (very) quickly became an expensive lesson in understanding that selling your house, moving lock stock to another country and looking for somewhere to live / work with a screaming 1 year old in the back seat is not a good idea ... I never said I was smart

So the lesson for us has been, that this time ... with 3 kids ... the lifestyle aspiration has to be matched by the practical reality of housing, jobs and schools etc...

Put another way, our 2003 UK-Canada-UK experience was bad and it (however unfairly) left us with a lot of negative impressions of Canada / emigrating in general which both Sally and I are hoping this reccie trip will dispell i.e. we still think Canada offers our kids the best options moving forward and therefore whilst wanting to arrive on the Island in August with an 'open mind' we equally want to have 'the chips' stacked in the Island favour in terms of knowing where to go, what to see and where to stay etc. ...

We want to fall in love (no laughing at the back) with Victoria / Cowichan and I guess what I've been doing, with all my 'bloody questions / threads' etc. is asking for your help in allowing us to do that

Putting this a third and final way, I guess our reccie trip has two objectives:

1. Our first and foremost objective is to experience (for ourselves) that Victoria / Cowichan has huge potential in-terms of lifestyle i.e. in terms of leisure, recreational, cultural, natural beauty and outdoor activities etc. and hence all the questions about 'best places' to visit, see, experience both for the kids but also for Sally and myself.

I think on one level we already know that it has that potential - but having been 'kicked in the balls' in 2003 it leaves you wondering if all the good things you convince yourself that Canada has to offer are infact, just selective memories brought on by a nasty UK recession and bad weather

This is what the whole 'holiday' part of the trip is all about.

2. If we buy into the lifestyle / opportunities (particularly in relation to the kids) we'd also like to spend our reccie time looking at where we might live /work i.e check for ourselves the practical aspects of the move such as whether we could afford to live in a reasonable / pretty (no laughing Bex) neighbourhood (with decent schools etc.)

And hence all the questions about communities / neighbourhoods etc. in both Vicoria / The Peninsula and Cowichan!!!

I guess I'd would have been easier if I had explained all this in my first tread hey

I hope that goes some way to explaining my 'obsessive' use of the forums and equally stands as some sort of apology to the 'very patient members' of this site for all the 'dumb-ass' questions I've asked, information I've requested and the amount of threads I've submitted i.e. North of Nanaimo, Salmon Fishing on the South Island and Those Secret places etc ... though apology made, I could really still do with some feedback on the Salmon (for my Dad) and any great day's out / locations (that mere 'tourists' might not come across) and / or thoughts on what an ideal 3 week "Vancouver Island Tourism Dept" itinerary might look likearound)

Andy
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy, (and any other readers of this thread),

Just to say, we are hoping to do exactly the same as you - ie. looking at this part of Vancouver Island, with quality of realistic living in mind for our three children (all under 5), OH and myself. We are a little way behind you, insofar as hoping to land next year, but doesn't stop me trying to gather as much info as possible before that!

Wishing you all the best with your trip, and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:21 am

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WendyS
Hi

I was just wondering if you'd thought about doing a house swap? We did this in 2007, and stayed in a house in Cadboro Bay. Was fantastic having so much room for the kids!

We spent most of our time around the Victoria area and only really went up as far as Naniamo. Totally loved all around Victoria though.

We hired a people carrier with a DVD and a sat nav, any longish trips we'd always stop at some beach or other to let the kids have a run.

Good luck with your trip.
Wendy,

thanks - what website did you use to organise house swap??
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Hello Campbells!

Great to hear you're excited about your trip to the island.

We live near the town of Sidney on the Saanich Peninsula and think it offers a great balance. It's 30 mins drive on the highway to Victoria so close but not TOO close! We've got great beaches, lakes, parks and open spaces with a couple of small towns (eg Saanichton and Brentwood Bay as well as Sidney) but also many rural areas with farm shops and wineries. Nearby is the ferry terminal at Swartz Bay to get to Vancouver / Gulf Islands, the airport and great local facilities. We love the feeling of space and great walks with the dog. I am a walking advert!!!! Especially now the sun's out ...

Hope you can spend a day or two exploring the peninsula ..

Personally, I would avoid the "western communities" of Langford and Colwood. They are pretty built up with a lot of new development, traffic (the commute into Victoria from there is known locally as "The Colwood Crawl") and seem a bit soulless to me ...a lot of big box stores and industrial areas. It reminds me of why I left the UK!!

Further west is Sooke ..we lived there for a few months when we first arrived. We found the town a wee bit "rustic" and commuting from there isn't easy as you need to go through Colwood etc. The road itself isn't great especially in the winter. Pretty twisty turny and prone to flooding.

On the subject of roads (!), if you are thinking of commuting from Cowichan / Duncan to Victoria I'd recommend doing the drive down Highway 1 during rush hour when you're here. Remember that you are pretty elevated going over that Malahat summit and factor in winter weather for what I consider quite a hairy ride ... people routinely speed and many sections have no central reservation. I wouldn't want to do it every day but it doesn't bother other people so you'd need to see for yourself.

Generally, I'd advise working out how much you can spend on housing to help narrow things down a bit. Have a look on mls.ca so see what property is for sale in the different areas and how they compare.

Have fun on your trip!

Monkey Puzzle
MonkeyPuzzle,

Sidney sounds ideal ... so it prompts the question - what's the downside i.e. are house prices totally unaffordable or am I just a 'jaded pom?'

Where might be a good place to stay in Sidney for a couple of days / or a week i.e. ideally self catering / house swap to keep costs down (and to give the kids some space???)

What are the travel times like from Sidney to say Langford, Colwood, Sooke etc. in terms of taking a day out to visit each in turn?

What other options would you have considered as a place to live if you hadn't settled in Sidney - your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th options may give us our 'to see list'

Thanks

Andy
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:48 am

Hi,

Lots of posts making South Cowichan sound fantastic i.e Cobble Hill, Mill Bay etc and I'd love to know more about the area if you have the time i.e. 'realistic' rush hour travel times to Victoria / Nanaimo, 'average' house prices vs Victoria etc.

Personally I'm getting pretty excited about the trip over and particularly to these South Cowichan areas that are closer to the Malahat and Victoria.

Particularly interested if you can tell us more about the schools etc. and what to look for / avoid in terms of picking one ... what is the admissions process?

Also do you know of any short-term rental / self catering options locally for our reccie??

What lessons did you learn form your own reccie trips etc.

Any recommended websites etc. etc. etc.

Love to know as much as you are happy to share or what you think it is important for us to know ...

Thanks

Andy
Old May 5th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this website may be useful for those looking at the Island and trying to find more details and information http://www.cvrd.bc.ca/index.aspx?NID=260
Old May 5th 2009, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Andy

Just to let you know I'm off on my own little reccie on Thursday this week for 4 days. I'm checking out the Elementary school and properties in the area. I'll let you know my thoughts on my return.

Bex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.