Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Old May 12th 2009, 10:15 am
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future
Default Re: Thinkin about The Island - again!!

Apologies for being the person responding to my own thread but having started the 'Ping Pong Pom' thread in response my previous questions about 2nd and 3rd time emigrants #58, and also having read the 'savaging' of a new BE member got for asking a 'stupid' question I just wanted to say thank you for your patience

This thread also started out with what was (in hindsight) a daft question aswell and has often been peppered with subsquently daft questions i.e. essentially 'where is a nice place to live' but it has been, again in all honesty, only through reading past BE posts and 'chatting' with BE members who have made the move ... successfully or not ... which has brought a huge amount of personal clarity for me ... which is, although I didn't realise when I joined BE, what I had been looking for ...

Buchan6 you have a lot to answer for ... that thread has (at least for me)changed my focus from 'where and how' to 'why?' (on the Ping Pong Pom thread) ... and as a result the lightbuld has lit up for me ...

I won't repeat the Ping Pong Thread here as I want to keep it focused for Sal on planning our reccie etc. here but would welcome your thoughts on it http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608489 if you feel inclined ...

Andy
Old May 17th 2009, 8:15 am

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Andy, Post 58 - Your time in 2003 was me exactly …
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ... the above email was in our home email in-tray ??? as opposed to the BE 'My profile' tray so I didn't even see it till today ... hence my reply to you via BE - I can get the internet (and BE) no matter where I am but home email is less easy …

We seem to have led parallel lives i.e. when we went in 2003 the exchange rate was $2.55 so even the proceeds from our small 2 up / 2 down would have left us with a 3 bed mortgage free ... but you know what … even given the financial advantage now lost and the actual costs of the ping ponging I can't say I regret (too much) the move back to the UK …

It was right for us as a couple AT THE TIME … I hate to think where we would have ended up as a family if we had tried to 'brazen' it through ... I was a real bloody mess, the wife wasn't much better and we had a 12 month old who, if he could have spoken would have been saying something ‘choice’ about our behaviour as parents...

So we came back BUT now have 2 more great kids, learnt a lot of lessons about ourselves and life along the way and fortunately we are still in a position to move back there if we want to … though financially we’re not in as good a position as we were ...

... all dependant on the jobs... and how much they pay. ...
As for jobs ... I get the impression from TheJonesFamily #23 and #26 that you may not be the only one who (like me) is of the 'take whatever you can get' mindset... though I’m not sure what other BE’s would think of that ????

I think that was a big issue for me in 2003. I expected (of myself more than anyone) to move into the same job as I had left in the UK (consultancy) and to be honest I mentally factored everything around that i.e. what I would earn, where (as a result) we could afford to live etc. etc. etc. and the reality (as many on BE have stated) is that many UK emigrants just have to be prepared to take what they can get...

Hence the new ‘experience’ approach i.e. if I can ensure that (as a family) we can ‘break-even’ over the course of 12 months i.e. its not cost us £25k to fund the ‘experience’ I’m ‘happy’ to do whatever I have to make that a ‘family experience’ a reality i.e. yes I worry about what a ‘gap year’ at 40 will do for my career (whatever that is ) but the reality is that I may loose my job tomorrow and that wouldn’t be great either …

Equally I don’t think the kids would suffer irrepirable ‘educational damage’ from being in a Canadian School for 12 months and if I make the whole exercise as ‘low cost / low risk’ as I can in terms the financial overheads / not burning bridges then maybe that is a good way to go whilst we still have the option at all … ???

On that basis I’d rent out the UK house (fully furnished) - rent in Canada fully furnished (and use the UK rent to offset the Canadian one) buy an old banger for us to get around in etc etc etc …

Equally and perhaps most importantly I’d keep the expectations I place on myself to something a little more reasonable in terms of income etc. … so much of the stress last time was about my concerns over letting my family down (financially etc.) were as the reality is that it may well prove to be the case that they’d been more happy with a Canadian ‘lifestyle’ even if they were poorer (relatively) than here in the UK … ???

… set up a rental and get the family over once the “emigration cr*p is over” all that running around isn’t good with young kids in tow.
I’ve been given this quite some thought given the precariousness of my work … the ‘ideal’ would be (if the reccie inclines us to) move over next summer i.e. when our middle one has finished his 1st year of school but the reality is if my job folds here then I’m going to be sat on my arse (given the current job market) for some time in the UK … maybe I should be out in Canada looking for something …

Yeah I would miss the kids (and missus even ) desperately but again a lot of the stress last time for me was about expectations I put on myself … i.e. what sort of father was I to be ‘dragging my 12 month old around Vancouver screaming looking for somewhere to live …’ etc …. I want there to be a stable ‘home’ for the kids when they come over as without the stress levels can quickly get out of hand …

… ... keep the PR Valid.
Yes my missus is Canadian so (in theory) we have no time limit as time spent with her outside of the Canada still counts towards the number of months / years you need to keep PR status but we still have ‘time drivers’ i.e. I'm 40 this year (so now or never???) the eldest is 7 (don't want to leave it too late for him as he is a sensitive bugger) and to be honest I just want to pt this to bed one way or another i.e. life goes on hold when you are in Ping-Pong-Ping????? Mode i.e. silly little things like 'do we buy a dog' ... well if we do we get the whole pet shipment problem if we move … if we don’t then the kids are missing out in the meantime !!! Do we get a loft extension built whilst labour is cheap ... if we do we will have more capital tied in a house that is depreciating and less to take to Canada, if we don't … the kids become increasingly cramped and the builders prices will start to go up ... etc etc etc.

Consequently, I personally think you seem to loose perspective by constantly focussing on t’moro rather than today … kids seem to grow up way too quickly under those conditions …

… “family experience” and need to look at the gains for the kids.
… IMHO (and as they say ‘opinions are like arseh*les every one has one’) what else is it about???

Once you buy into this whole ‘having a family’ life then everything we do is about the kids … whether or not we enjoy our jobs, whether we do longer hours than we want etc. becomes secondary …

That said – the confusion, for me at least (and something I’m hoping our reccie in August will answer for me) is that sometimes we aren’t actually doing things for the kids but for ourselves … and I guess (personally) that something I need to be more sure of i.e. life in the UK isn’t great for me personally at the moment with stress at work, worry over work and sole financial responsibility for the family … but noting Butch Cassidy’s post … #32 on ‘One Line Answer’s Only’ … http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=608697&page=3 I do need to be sure my motivations for considering another move are clear to me ….that is why the move has (and I’m sorry to quote Butch) has to be at least as much about ‘pull’ for me and the kids as a ‘push’ away from the UK …

Andy
Old May 17th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

TheJonesFamily will become famous soon enoughTheJonesFamily will become famous soon enough

Hiya Sal, nice to 'meet' you

(Brace yourself - this is long! LOL!)

The reccie went very well thanks. It was only 3.5 days actually on the Island, but I managed to pack lots in. Here's how it went....

Arrived in Victoria airport Thursday pm and picked up hire car. Nice and easy and an easy drive out of the city and up over the Malahat (which I was grateful for, being on my own). Despite not having slept on the plane I was just in awe of the scenery and natural beauty of the rain forest and glimpses of ocean and gulf islands on the way. It felt so good and right to be back.

Friday I met up with the Principal of the International Student Programme. All Cowichan Valley students without a Canadian passport have to go through her office to ensure they are entitled to free education (if you don't get your paperwork right, the government won't pay). So she copied all our passports, immigration papers, son's immunisation records and a letter from his school. She also arranged for me to have tours of 3 Elementary schools with the Principals: Discovery (Shawnigan area), Cobble Hill and Bench (both Cobble Hill area). I was so impressed with the schools compared to Christopher's school now. Small, calm, clean, organised and friendly. Each have their own gymnasium, library, computer room, music room, grassy outdoor space and playground equipment. They focus on being respectful of each other and the school rather than on academic achievement. Personally, I approve of this. I know it's not for everyone.

Saturday I looked at lots of houses (many thanks to maddhobs!) in the area to get a feel for what you get for your money and such. Many weren't for us, but a couple were so we're going to try and buy before we arrive in July!!

I explored Duncan and found a great organic food market and cafe that I would recommend called 'Duncan Garage' just opposite the museum on the railway. There are lots of interiors shops, lots of coffee shops, a great toy shop and book shop, a few thrift (charity) shops. They have a farmers produce and craft market every Saturday too. Quite a nice little town actually. Sorry to sound so surprised, but I remember the unattractive strip all too well.

I drove out to Shawnigan, which is lovely, with many properties have lots of big trees (nice and cool in the summer, but a little dark in the winter). The lake is nice with a couple of good public beaches/picnic areas.

I drove quickly up to Maple Bay which seems like a very family oriented community with a new Elementary school based on Cobble Hill.

I also explored Mill Bay and decided that it was this area and Cobble Hill that I like most. I like the open rolling landscape with lots of small farms and easy access to Victoria, Mill Bay shopping centre (has a grocery store, dentist, restaurant, tourist info, Shell petrol station, Tim Hortons, Telus, and many other shops), Rec centre, Duncan and the ocean.

So - I hope that helps a bit. We know where we're heading and I'm feeling very positive and excited about it. In summary, what I liked most...

Environment (scenery, available activities, weather)
Schools
People (almost universally friendly & polite - including teenagers!)
House prices

What (I think) I'm going to miss most....

Friends & Family
English Humour (but that's where fellow Ex-Pats come in!)
Quintessential English Style (country cottages & teapots & Cath Kidston - but I can bring those with me)

Good luck with your decision making. I've personally taken 5 years to come to terms with what was essentially my OH's idea! It's not easy, but I'm confident it's right for all of us.

Sorry to be so long winded! Bet you wish you hadn't asked

Bex
Old May 18th 2009, 2:06 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bex

Glad you enjoyed yourself - shame we didnt get chance to meet up in Mill Bay for a quick Coffee. Told you Mill Bay was lovely and lots of things to hand. My Daughter goes to Cobble HIll Elementary though she is just about to leave and start Bonner in Sept - she has thoroughly enjoyed it and yes there is alot of respect between the children etc - she has done great academically too and parents day was an eye opener in a very positive way - so different to the UK my daughter loves school here

Tanah x
Old May 18th 2009, 10:31 am

Hi Bex, this is going to be super quick as I have Aden next to me, I promised him some time on the computer and he is nagging!!! Thanks so much for all the info, I have only just scanned thru it but will read it again tonight and then write you back! I'm really glad it went well for you, you sound so positive about it all, which is great!

I'll catch up with you later.

Thanx, Sal
Old May 18th 2009, 10:42 am
Just Joined

TheJonesFamily will become famous soon enoughTheJonesFamily will become famous soon enough

Tanah

So glad your daughter has loved Cobble Hill Elementary. Christopher will probably end up there or at Bench - but either seem very good from my quick tours. Bonner looks amazing

You're not off the hook yet on the coffee front. I'd love to meet up with you in July/Aug once we're in and settled. Can't wait to be there!

Bex
Old May 21st 2009, 9:05 am

Guys,

Bit of help appreciated if you can.

As most of you know - we are due out in August for our reccie and after spending some initial time looking around greater Victoria (probably based in Sidney for 5 days) and then going up to the North East past Nanaimo to look around Comox / Campbell River, Parksville, Courtney etc. we want to base ourselves for 10 days or so in / around the South Cowichan valley area.

The reason is that Sal's folks are coming out from Kelowna to help look after the kids for those 10 days to give me and Sal the opportunity to do some decent '2nd takes' on places we will have briefly seen over the previous 2 weeks with the kids i.e. meeting up with anyone who would like to seeing some houses with Madhobbs etc.

Problem we have is we are trying to find a vacation home to rent in a location that gives us decent (speedy) access back across the Malahat to Greater Victoria and / or back up to Nanaimo ... Mill Bay / Cobble Hill / Cowichan Bay ??? ... and availability / cost is proving an issue??

Do any of you have any alternative accommodation ideas' / contacts or alternatives would you suggest as did someone on another post that we rent a 'static' RV for what will be a group consisting of 4 adults and 3 kids.

If you would recommend that route - what RV sites in and around where we are looking would you recommend i.e pretty (Bex !!!) closeness to TransCanada and / or facilities for the kids etc ...

Andy help much appreciated

Thinking about it that might be an option for accomodation up in the North East aswell????

Last edited by CampbellsRComing; May 21st 2009 at 9:06 am. Reason: Typo
Old May 21st 2009, 4:50 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in Comox Valley so if you need to know anything about the area, please ask. As for accommodation, try ownerdirect.com/accommodation. There are places on there in the Lake Cowichan area but it depends on your budget - some are a bit pricey.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by gloveman
We're in Comox Valley so if you need to know anything about the area, please ask. As for accommodation, try ownerdirect.com/accommodation. There are places on there in the Lake Cowichan area but it depends on your budget - some are a bit pricey.
Hi Gloveman,

Yes would love to know about where is great to see around Comox etc.

We were (still are) playing with the idea of renting an RV out of Courtney to use as a base to look around Campbell River, Mount Washington, Qualicum Beach and Parksville etc.

The reason is that we have already decided / planned to have a week around Greater Victoria (our first week) and to be in South Cowichan (Mill Bay, Cobble Hill area?) for our last week and thought that we really ought to have a look around Comox etc. to make sure we have a really good feel for the east coast before we go making any life changing decisions??

Equally thought it woud be a great opportunity to give the kids a bit of a taste of Canadian life i.e. campfires. lakes etc. hence the thought about renting an RV etc.

Now wondering however if we aren't just better renting a 'static' RV in a good central Comox location and then using the car to get around to see all the different places (Campbell River etc.) as maybe moving from one RV site to another everyday is a little ambitious given 3 kids, that fact that we've never done it before and also given that time is kinda tight???

Welcome your thoughts in respect to striking the balance between doing a reccie of the different towns / areas in Comox but eqaully making suer the kids have an experince that doesn't just consist of the back seat of the car and motels?

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:19 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
Hi Gloveman,

We were (still are) playing with the idea of renting an RV out of Courtney to use as a base to look around Campbell River, Mount Washington, Qualicum Beach and Parksville etc.

The reason is that we have already decided / planned to have a week around Greater Victoria (our first week) and to be in South Cowichan (Mill Bay, Cobble Hill area?) for our last week and thought that we really ought to have a look around Comox etc. to make sure we have a really good feel for the east coast before we go making any life changing decisions??

Equally thought it woud be a great opportunity to give the kids a bit of a taste of Canadian life i.e. campfires. lakes etc. hence the thought about renting an RV etc.

Now wondering however if we aren't just better renting a 'static' RV in a good central Comox location and then using the car to get around to see all the different places (Campbell River etc.) as maybe moving from one RV site to another everyday is a little ambitious given 3 kids, that fact that we've never done it before and also given that time is kinda tight???

Welcome your thoughts in respect to striking the balance between doing a reccie of the different towns / areas in Comox but eqaully making suer the kids have an experince that doesn't just consist of the back seat of the car and motels?

Thanks

Well if you want the great outdoors there is plenty of it round here. Do you get an RV or rent a place - well that has to be a personal decison but
I would go for the rented place. The places you mentioned are all no more than 1-1.5 hours from here so not too far to travel. With the RV you have to pack up and move on each time and then find somwhere else to stop. With the rented place you have a base to work from. If it is any use, I have a friend who has 8 cottages. They, like most Canadian rentals, are older properties but immaculately clean and have all you need for your stay. The added bonus is that they are right on the beach with fantastic views of the ocean and mainland mountains. August gets pretty busy so if you are looking for something you need to be doing it now rather than leaving it. I don't know of anywhere with static caravans but if you want I can try to look into it for you. I know that some people rent out their trailers (caravans) and put them on a site of your choice for you. So you pay the site fees, which are normally very reasonable, and the cost to hire the unit and you get to stay where you want. Let me know if I can be of help.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

We have friends who have a great B&B in Black Creek, which is halfway between Courtenay and Campbell River www.blackcreekbedandbreakfast.ca

Thanks[/QUOTE]