Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things to think about...

Things to think about...

Old Mar 6th 2018, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Things to think about...

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm not a renter, but everyone pays council/property tax one way or the other - either directly or indirectly bundled in with your rent.

I'm not finding utility bills any more expensive in the UK as usage (for heating in particular) is far lower.
Our rent in Vancouver was $1,600 a month. Now paying 1000gbp in rent. so roughly equivalent. Plus 150gbp in council tax - $275 extra - I don't know how much was built in to our monthly rent but knowing our landlord we were probably just paying their property tax - damn Boomers

Surprised about the heating costs. Depends on comparable building type quality, size etc.

Last edited by biggayowl; Mar 6th 2018 at 12:12 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently moved back to the UK after 14 years in BC, and have found the cost of living here considerably less expensive so far. Of course exchange rates muddy the water, but I've not found anything other than the cost of fuel for a car more expensive.

Some examples:

Car insurance 66% less
Home insurance 33% less
Groceries 20% less
Wine 45% less
Cell phone 75% less
Thats interesting...when I first came to Canada (Ontario) almost 9 years ago, I found it considerably cheaper (except for cell phones and car insurance) but now I am not so sure...I have seen a few people commenting on how much cheaper the UK is compared to parts of Canada now.

What made you return to the UK after 14 years in BC? was it a choice or did circumstances dictate the move?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:33 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl

Surprised about the heating costs. Depends on comparable building type quality, size etc.
You can only compare your own relative costs, as there are so many variables involved.

I owned a 2,500 sq/ft home in a ski resort which cost as much to heat as my next home which was a 6,000 sq/ft property in a more temperate BC location (Kamloops).

Back in the UK I'm purchasing a 600yr old thatched property, for which utility bills are very similar.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:34 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
What made you return to the UK after 14 years in BC? was it a choice or did circumstances dictate the move?
Family circumstances - ageing parents that need closer attention/care.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Family circumstances - ageing parents that need closer attention/care.
Sorry to hear that, but totally understandable.

Would you ever return to Canada? or would you class it just a period in your life that you experienced and now moving on to new adventures so to speak.

I know its slightly off topic, but just wondered as I may have to consider a return to the UK too (different circumstances) I would imagine you will find it a challenge to settle back in after 14 years in BC, however you still sound a fairly young person so that does help.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:10 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Sorry to hear that, but totally understandable.

Would you ever return to Canada? or would you class it just a period in your life that you experienced and now moving on to new adventures so to speak.

I know its slightly off topic, but just wondered as I may have to consider a return to the UK too (different circumstances) I would imagine you will find it a challenge to settle back in after 14 years in BC, however you still sound a fairly young person so that does help.
I'm 48, so don't particularly want to hop between countries, and realistically given current family commitments, it could be near my retirement age before having the freedom to move again. Canada wouldn't be top of my list for places to retire to, but I did enjoy living there.

I'm enjoying catching up with close friends and family again, and there are pros and cons in both places. Overall I'm quite comfortable with the need/decision to move back.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LDH087
Hi all, OP here.

Thanks for all of your helpful replies. They really are appreciated!

I think this will make decisions and deliberations a lot more in depth than originally hoped. (Provided I get a positive response at the end of next week when they have completed all interviews).

The role is basically in Burlington, ON. So whilst still in the GTA it does mean commutes should be able to be 15-20 minutes within our rental price range. (We had a brief explore of Dundas, Waterdown and Burlington areas to see what the neighbourhoods and housing estates were like, but if successful would be returning on a more detailed house hunting trip).

I think in order to maintain our quality of living I may need to push for slightly higher salary than I would expect in the U.K. As despite how exciting an adventure the move would be, there isn't much point moving just to be worse off!

I know people won't know exactly how much we will eat, or how much we will be driving etc. But I wondered whether anyone could help me fill in some approx figures for the items below. As these will probably be the main monthly big ticket outgoings... and already they are starting to sound like all but fuel are going to be significantly higher than in the U.K.

Rent ~ $2500
Utilities ~ $250
TV/Internet = ?
Car insurance (monthly per person) = ?
Commuting (Car fuel per month approx) = ?
Food - Groceries (2 adults - monthly) = ?
Mobile phone Bill (monthly per person) = ?

Many thanks!
If you can keep your commute to a minimum by staying in Burlington itself, I'd do that. Despite Siouxie's recommendation, I'd be a little wary of heading up the mountain in Hamilton if your job means you're travelling in peak hours. The 403/QEW and Hwy5 through Waterdown both get very busy eastbound in the mornings and westbound in the afternoon.

$2500 should get you a decent place in Burlington. For many various and complex reasons my family is moving temporarily into a 3+1 bed rental in Oakville for which we're paying around that rate.

My commute from Oakville into Port Credit (around 15km each way) takes me 20 minutes or so in rush hour. 150km per week in a car that returns about 11l/100km real-world economy costs me around $20 per week in gas (not counting all the other, mostly local, journeys: real fuel costs average around $30 per week for that car).

I pay too much for cable/phone/internet - there have been many discussions about dropping the home phone line and/or cutting the cable altogether, but with three kids and family in the UK there is considerable inertia preventing that decision. Around $180 per month for bundled services including unlimited broadband, a somewhat profligate TV channel package and an hour or so of international phone calls per week.

I think dbd eats rather better than I do. We feed a family of 5 plus a dog for about $220 per week or so in groceries plus occasional take-out/restauraunt visits. That probably adds somewhere around another $200 to $250 per month. He probably spends more in the LCBO than I do, too...

Mobile phone is difficult to gauge as we have four phones on a family plan with varying data packages etc for which we pay $250 per month or thereabouts (depending on whether teenager #1 has to top up data...)

You've heard the bad news on car insurance from others, so I won't add to the misery. It's expensive but necessary. As a renter you'll need tenants' insurance, which is much less ruinous. Shop around; costs will vary a lot depending on location and type of property and the breadth of coverage you need.

HTH.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

pquick is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do decide to rent your uk home, do not forget to get a valuation for CGT purposes. You will need it if selling while living in canada and if you return to uk to live
Old Mar 11th 2018, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Mule deer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I travel to the uk (London) frequently as some may know. Outside of the cost of buying property I think pretty much everything feels cheaper in UK than my part of Canada.
is Atlantic Canada expensive compared to Alberta or BC
Old Mar 12th 2018, 10:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mule deer
is Atlantic Canada expensive compared to Alberta or BC
I don't have experience of BC or AB, but I do travel to Ottawa once a year & occasionally elsewhere in ON/NS and Newfoundland is definitely more expensive for food, groceries, insurance. Some of which can be explained by either the expense of shipping to this part of the world or the small, regulated marketplace.