British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Things to think about... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/things-think-about-909864/)

Atlantic Xpat Mar 2nd 2018 12:37 pm

Re: Things to think about...

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12454360)
Are you sure about that $4 London pint. :):):sneaky::sneaky:

Yes. Here's the board from my "local" when I'm in London: (Note I'm only interested in the real ale. I can drink overpriced poncy craft keg here :-)!)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWE8jaZW4AAdosC.jpg:large

dbd33 Mar 2nd 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12454366)
Yes. Here's the board from my "local" when I'm in London: (Note I'm only interested in the real ale. I can drink overpriced poncy craft keg here :-)!)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWE8jaZW4AAdosC.jpg:large

There was really no need to post that.

Partially discharged Mar 2nd 2018 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12454374)

Oh come on..the Woolie has a similar list doesn't it? Bars here in Ontario aren't all just Coors Lite on draft with deep fried zucchini sticks to eat.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 2nd 2018 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12454374)

The Five Points XPA was rather good. Oakham Citra and London Pride are good staples of that pub's beer range.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 2nd 2018 1:02 pm

Fixed the typo!

dbd33 Mar 2nd 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12454380)
Oh come on..the Woolie has a similar list doesn't it? Bars here in Ontario aren't all just Coors Lite on draft with deep fried zucchini sticks to eat.

Yes, the Wooly sells beer. My holding the view that London is a better place to drink beer doesn't preclude me drinking beer here.

BristolUK Mar 2nd 2018 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12454354)
I find routine clothing of the type required by a man working in a "business casual" environment is cheaper in the UK.

I'm not sure if we have a different idea of smart/casual or what.

Looking on line at the M&S site for chino style trousers and polo shirt for the sort of thing I used to buy there, I find the £ prices are the same or even slightly higher than the $ price I 'd pay here.

I know from previously wandering through Sears clothing department prices were much more and Mark's work wearhouse is bloody expensive, but comparing like for like for my smart/casual Canada's cheaper.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 2nd 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12454434)

Looking on line at the M&S site for chino style trousers and polo shirt for the sort of thing I used to buy there, I find the £ prices are the same or even slightly higher than the $ price I 'd pay here.

I know from previously wandering through Sears clothing department prices were much more and Mark's work wearhouse is bloody expensive, but comparing like for like for my smart/casual Canada's cheaper.

I'm currently wearing a 15 quid pair of M&S black jeans to work. I don't think I could buy something similar here for $25. Certainly not at Sears because, well, Sears doesn't exist anymore.;) But as I said, it's a much about choice as it is about price. Small town/city Canada doesn't offer much in the way of clothing shopping. One can buy online but thats a faff when it doesn't fit.

dbd33 Mar 2nd 2018 2:53 pm

I am certain that we have.

BristolUK Mar 2nd 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12454443)
I'm currently wearing a 15 quid pair of M&S black jeans to work....

Yes, that surprised me on the M&S site. But George Jeans @ $12.97 and Wranglers from $15 here.

Of course the HST has to be added but that's still cheaper.

Small town/city Canada doesn't offer much in the way of clothing shopping. One can buy online but thats a faff when it doesn't fit.
No disagreement there.

I loved my Cotton Traders stuff.

christmasoompa Mar 2nd 2018 3:14 pm

Surely if money was an issue you wouldn't be shopping at M&S in the first place? You'd go to somewhere like Primark or Matalan where you can get perfectly acceptable chinos and a polo shirt for a tenner?

BristolUK Mar 2nd 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12454486)
Surely if money was an issue you wouldn't be shopping at M&S in the first place? You'd go to somewhere like Primark or Matalan where you can get perfectly acceptable chinos and a polo shirt for a tenner?

Absolutely. I used to buy things at Primark too.

But I was trying to compare like for like and for me the places I bought from in Bristol were/are more expensive than the equivalent product I buy here.

Almost Canadian Mar 2nd 2018 3:44 pm

Is comparing prices on exchange rates only applicable if one's salary is Canada is the same as one's salary in the UK after applying the exchange rate?

I doubt that there are many here that are only earning 1.7 times their UK salary (sterling) in Canadian dollars and, as such, the relevant comparison is to calculate what their salary in Canada could afford them to purchase if that salary was converted into sterling.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 2nd 2018 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12454494)
Is comparing prices on exchange rates only applicable if one's salary is Canada is the same as one's salary in the UK after applying the exchange rate?

I doubt that there are many here that are only earning 1.7 times their UK salary (sterling) in Canadian dollars and, as such, the relevant comparison is to calculate what their salary in Canada could afford them to purchase if that salary was converted into sterling.

Absolutely. Your earning power in Canada is what is key. Being aware of what at first sight might be hidden or under-estimated costs is also important. Insurance and the price of cheese (we had to go there sometime) are good examples of the latter.;)

neilcumming Mar 2nd 2018 5:10 pm

I can get a pint of Guiness in doontoon Calgary for $5 but dont tell anyone .