Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things more expensive in Canada than the UK?

Wikiposts

Things more expensive in Canada than the UK?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things more expensive in Canada than the UK?

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
so by giving my children a better quality of life you make it money related, what a joke my dear............
i lost so much in the move, but ill tell you one thing, no matter what i have lost doing this move and how our lives have changed since moving here, i can put my hand on my heart everyday and say i did not move here for money

To see the smiles on my kids face, to see them loving school, to see the friends that they have, that is quality of life and something that money cant buy

As they say "money cant buy you happyness" - Maybe in your small world money is everything, for me my kids happiness is everything
So why didn't you do that in the UK?

I don't really see what the problem is here - people emigrate because they want a lifestyle they can't have at home. In pretty much every case this is because they cannot afford to have that lifestyle at home. There is no shame in this and I don't understand why everyone is so defensive about it.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I do kind of see where you are coming from - but people can have that slower life without emigrating. For brits this is usually prohibitively expensive due to the cost of housing and for the most part this has fueled the emigration boom up until recently.

Yes, I agree with you, it's certainly more expensive to have that kind of life in Britain.....I mean, you can't just retire to a simple country life in Britain because that costs the most expensive! That's the high life really!

I'd love to live in the English countryside in a lovely little cottage but could never afford such a lifestyle...Blimey, the typical country cottage in the idyllic English countryside is for rich people!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I don't really see what the problem is here - people emigrate because they want a lifestyle they can't have at home. In pretty much every case this is because they cannot afford to have that lifestyle at home. There is no shame in this and I don't understand why everyone is so defensive about it.

There is no shame at all, I definitely have a better lifestyle here, and that means "time" because kiwis don't live to work, they work to live and value their leisure time. I like that, I got sick of working like a dog in London, I had a good career but it couldn't buy me time and I wanted more out of life than work and money....I wanted an actual life. LOL

Saying that, I really loved England and missed it horribly when I left, it was still "home" and getting used to a new place was hard...but overall, I have a better life here, more space, more time, and that's all there is to it. Had to sacrifice friends and holidays to europe, but oh well, there's sacrifices with everything....

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jul 25th 2009 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I

I'd love to live in the English countryside in a lovely little cottage ...

I should re-phrase this, rather, I "would have" loved this once upon a time, but I wouldn't want to go back there now if you paid me....Canada next for me.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

So why didn't you do that in the UK?

I need to address this again. Here's how I see it, there are certain lifestyles abroad that you can't have in Britain because it's a totally different environment (as well as attitude). For instance, I live right next to a rainforest and round the corner from a vineyard and within minutes of surfing beaches, also, we have proper summers here that are hot and you can have a beautiful time on the beaches and they're not crowded either...there's space and room to enjoy yourself and a mentality down here that says "yes, this is what life is about, relax and enjoy it."

That kind of lifestyle can't even be bought in Britain because it isn't there, so, whilst I do agree with what you're saying on the one hand, on the other hand, there are some things gained about moving abroad that money doesn't and can't buy you in Britain.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jul 25th 2009 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

the idea that because you have chosen a 'simpler' life you consider yourself better than others.
And where the f**k do you pull that conclusion from? I, in no way, believe that I am better than others...least of all because I've chosen to live in the back of beyond. What's that got to do with how good a person you are? It's a lifestyle that suits our personalities so we went ahead and did it. If we'd been city-life/bustle/crowds people at heart, that's where we'd live.

I can certainly see why you chose the description you give under your user name, as trolling is all you can possibly be doing with these offensive generalisations.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I need to address this again. Here's how I see it, there are certain lifestyles abroad that you can't have in Britain because it's a totally different environment (as well as attitude). For instance, I live right next to a rainforest and round the corner from a vineyard and within minutes of surfing beaches, also, we have proper summers here that are hot and you can have a beautiful time on the beaches and they're not crowded either...there's space and room to enjoy yourself and a mentality down here that says "yes, this is what life is about, relax and enjoy it."

That kind of lifestyle can't even be bought in Britain because it isn't there, so, whilst I do agree with what you're saying, at the same time, there are some things about moving abroad that money doesn't and can't buy you in Britain.
I don't disagree with any of what you are saying and they are all good reasons to emigrate (one of the pluses for Vancouver is that it's near skiing which I couldn't get at home).

I will say that on this thread a number of people are associating wealth with materialism and that isn't the case. Sure people will emigrate to a smaller income (and they will expect something back in return for that reduction), but nobody will emigrate to poverty will they. i.e. some people decide they have enough wealth and will trade some of it for the freedom to do something else - which is ultimately what it's for after all.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
And where the f**k do you pull that conclusion from? I, in no way, believe that I am better than others...least of all because I've chosen to live in the back of beyond. What's that got to do with how good a person you are? It's a lifestyle that suits our personalities so we went ahead and did it. If we'd been city-life/bustle/crowds people at heart, that's where we'd live.

I can certainly see why you chose the description you give under your user name, as trolling is all you can possibly be doing with these offensive generalisations.
Nice rant - hope you feel better now
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:24 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Quality of life is directly linked to wealth.
This is true in the UK. Not here. That's why I moved: quality of life and standard of living can be two different things when there is enough space.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lancashirebird;7784511]

But what happens when your move is children related..........better future for them and more freedom to be themselves,
This is absolutely a function of having more money. The better future comes from being able to finance tutors, trips to Europe, education in a broad sense. The greater freedom comes from being able to buy into the sort of area where they can wander. These things are not unavailable in the UK, just unaffordable.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Just a simple lad me - never had much that inspired me on a day to day basis in manchester - all boarded up cotton mills, filthy canals and MUFC scrawled everywhere. I got sick of hearing about London when I lived in the UK and have to say I get sick of hearing about it on BE
Nonethless, where one started is relevant to how one ends up. Obviously from Manchester everywhere is up but people who come from somewhere nice will have a more nuanced view of other places.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=Cdnshaz;7783752]I'm canadian and want to go home!!!!

and what gives you the idea that the price of mobiles would stop anyone from immigrating..get a grip![/QUOTE]

Ruby
Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:20 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm detecting a bit of inverse snobbery here mr dboy - I bet you love opera, plays and all that cultured shit really.

Either way - people say that want a "simpler" life, but they are usually liars. What they really want is the freedom to do what they want and the normal route to this is to have (relative) wealth. Another way is to not have so much state interference with everything we do, but that's a whole other debate and to be honest there isn't much between the UK and Canada in this respect anyway.
Yes very true. Most people move to improve their lives, or at least a belief that they will and that will usually, although not always, include more wealth. I see the balance of standard of living and quality of living as being two different, yet highly related notions.

There are a handful of us, however, who just happened to end up here as a consequence of where their lives took them. I never had a master plan to leave Blighty nor did i view BC as utopia. I have found myself much better off here than I believe I would be in the UK - although I left so long ago (last worked there in 1989) that I don't really know any better and I'm only in touch with the policing world.

I have said this before on here that for some life conspires against them, you get held captive, to an extent, by relationships that you have forged, kids, businesses and careers. It becomes increasingly more difficult to leave, the older and more you become committed and involved in your life.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by dboy
Yes very true. Most people move to improve their lives, or at least a belief that they will and that will usually, although not always, include more wealth. I see the balance of standard of living and quality of living as being two different, yet highly related notions.

There are a handful of us, however, who just happened to end up here as a consequence of where their lives took them. I never had a master plan to leave Blighty nor did i view BC as utopia. I have found myself much better off here than I believe I would be in the UK - although I left so long ago (last worked there in 1989) that I don't really know any better and I'm only in touch with the policing world.

I have said this before on here that for some life conspires against them, you get held captive, to an extent, by relationships that you have forged, kids, businesses and careers. It becomes increasingly more difficult to leave, the older and more you become committed and involved in your life.
I can accept that too - people end up in places rather than go to places. If this wasn't the case why would anyone be living in Stoke for example.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nonethless, where one started is relevant to how one ends up. Obviously from Manchester everywhere is up but people who come from somewhere nice will have a more nuanced view of other places.
Yes, that was precisely my point sir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.