British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/things-cheaper-uk-vs-canada-893836/)

dbd33 Mar 16th 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

99s.

It is extraordinarily expensive to obtain an ice cream cone and a flake here.

Shakyuk Mar 16th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12206038)
99s.

It is extraordinarily expensive to obtain an ice cream cone and a flake here.

So you're saying you've got 99s problems but the *beep* isn't one?

dbd33 Mar 16th 2017 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12206155)
So you're saying you've got 99s problems but the *beep* isn't one?

Oh no, I'm rich bitch, I want a 99, I eat a 99.

jamesmc Mar 16th 2017 5:58 pm

car insurance lots cheaper in the uk was only paying 100 odd pounds full comp...now $1200 ,,,uk was a new diesel car ..Canada gmc sierra,(but Toyota echo was $1000) and gluten free food a good 50+% cheaper in the uk than here. work boots lots more expensive in Canada.

Shakyuk Mar 16th 2017 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12206256)
Oh no, I'm rich bitch, I want a 99, I eat a 99.

I am but a man amongst Gods...

dbd33 Mar 16th 2017 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12206379)
I am but a man amongst Gods...

Well, in truth, I share a 99 not getting much of the flake. But making a 99 does feel like something a rich person would do, maybe even use Haagen-Dazs.

ChrisBan Mar 16th 2017 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12204748)
Really? I always thought Starbucks worked out the same or cheaper out here

Yeah, or at least inline with CDN prices. Compared to British based coffee shops like Nero or Costa, it's on average 10% more expensive.

Oink Mar 17th 2017 3:11 am

Originally Posted by wasss (Post 12203710)
I am moving to Canada just over a month's time and curious to know what things are cheaper in the UK and Canada?

I've read clothes and over the counter drugs like ibuprofen are cheaper in the UK, anything else?

In the UK: Your soul.

In Canada: Girls

Shakyuk Mar 17th 2017 8:50 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12206549)
Well, in truth, I share a 99 not getting much of the flake. But making a 99 does feel like something a rich person would do, maybe even use Haagen-Dazs.

The perils of having a female companion... they have a chocolate gravity field and a never ending appetite for consumption...:rofl:

bats Mar 17th 2017 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12205743)
Decent stuff is about $35-$50 in Canada.

I took some over as a gift, only to find the same bottle was about 25% cheaper in the UK

I buy good syrup for $24 at the sugar bush.

BristolUK Mar 17th 2017 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12204740)
As for 'Council Tax', at my last house in the UK it was a fraction of the $6000 that I pay here in a 'standard' single family home

I remember commenting several years ago that the tax on my 2 bed terraced home in Bristol was only slightly less than the 4-bed detached home with double plot here.

Curious, I just looked up the old house and it's still similar. Current exchange rate puts the Moncton one at $50 more for the year.

I wonder what the UK council tax would be if they had to include a Canadian snow clearing budget. :eek:

Vulcanoid Mar 18th 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12207290)
Curious, I just looked up the old house and it's still similar. Current exchange rate puts the Moncton one at $50 more for the year.:

Most councils froze council tax from 2010-2015, because they were only allowed to raise it by a maximum of 2%, and if they didn't raise it at all, Government gave them a grant of 1%. So they took the 1% raise-equivalent and the public glow of "no rise!".

I think some of them are now realising how many million quid a year more they'd have if they'd done 2%, as they contemplate the cuts they have to make to balance budgets.

Shakyuk Mar 20th 2017 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12206675)
In the UK: Your soul.

In Canada: Girls

:rofl::rofl: interesting!

Although in Wigan there's many girls that are yours for the price of a kebab with garlic mayo...

Stinkypup Mar 20th 2017 9:13 pm

I did a weekly shop in Tesco with my mum- dutiful son and all that- I reckon most food is cheaper in the UK, you can buy alcohol in Tesco, good range of beers in the store- I bought a massive bag of Wotsits and another one of Quavers- marmite- big pot, way cheaper- mini pup stocked up with Caramels and Dairy Milk and Mr Kiplings fondant fancies

bats Mar 20th 2017 9:20 pm

Sanitary towels, pads,and the like are cheaper in the uk.