Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

I just bought a new (not the biggest but very good for a second) Fridge-Freezer.

A great deal at Best Buy for $379...with tax $435.

The nearest in size I could find on Currys was the equivalent of $1100.

I did find something from Argos for equivalent $450 so pretty close.

Must remember not to bother with Currys should I need appliances in the UK.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I live in Wigan,
Nuff said You should have moved to Chorley as its not as rough though we don't have a pier and our pies are just as good as Wigan's. Plus Chorley is still part of Lancashire and not that cess pit known as Greater Manchester.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah. All becomes clear.

OK, as you were. I was wondering what I was doing that was so terrible choosing to bring my children up in the UK, but it's clearly a very different way of life where I live to where you are.

I suspect you'll find very similar in Canada's cities though, pretty much any city or major town has similar issues with drugs and violence unfortunately. My solution is to hide myself away in the countryside and only venture to a city about twice a year!
Sorry my passionate hatred of Wigan threw me into rant mode ha.

Chorley to be fair is a lot nicer. I've had the Canadian dream for awhile and the crap of Wigan affects me much less as an adult as I have more control of avoiding things than I did as a child. I decided to just stay put and save while I sort the Canada thing out. Myself and my partner appreciate that the grass isn't always greener but we want to give it a shot. We plan to start in Calgary because we think it'll be easier to begin in a city, but we plan on finding a small town to settle in.

I made the mistake of going to China town in Vancouver seeking a Chinese... so I've seen some of the bad in Canada, but my friends in Vancouver (who lived in Wigan and then Chorley coincidentally) both said they feel it's a lot safer and the kids have a more positive environment.

My friend lives in Liverpool (the one who nearly lost his eye) and I do like the city, it's nowhere near as bad as Manchester. It has it's problems such as the riots in 2011 (which the council still haven't cleaned up from). But because we're planning on giving Canada a try we figured there's no point having the expense of a move for a short time. We're aiming to land late this year/early next if everything goes well.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buck2467
Thanks Howefamily. I've already checked out IMP group and is one of the few employers that looks like the way ahead. In fact they've got a job advertised that is exactly what I do now and on the same airframe, however, frustratingly no indication of salary. I'm sure I'll find work, just prefer not to take a drop in pay
You should find the NS BE expats FB pages. There might be some of the IMP workers on there who could give you some inside info...
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry my passionate hatred of Wigan threw me into rant mode ha.
I've never been to Wigan. Don't think I'll bother after reading that.

but my friends in Vancouver (who lived in Wigan and then Chorley coincidentally) both said they feel it's a lot safer and the kids have a more positive environment.
I'm sure it is if you're coming from towns or cities. I had the opposite experience, but then I came from a very rural place in the UK where there's a good sense of community and nobody locked their doors, to a major city, so I felt far less safe and my kids didn't have nearly the same amount of freedom.

As always said on BE, it all depends on where you go to and from.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Must remember not to bother with Currys should I need appliances in the UK.

Oh crikey!

Don't bother with Curry's coz they are sh*te customer service and expensive!

Don't bother with anyone else other than AO.com, coz AO.com are cheap, quick, huge selection and get the job done!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

As always said on BE, it all depends on where you go to and from.

Don't get me wrong, Vancouver isn't what I want, rural living is what I'm looking for. I found Vancouver a very nice easy going city, but it was quite pretentious.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Don't bother with Curry's coz they are sh*te customer service and expensive!
What happened?
Cooker, fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, two stereos, iron etc...
All my stuff in the 80s and 90s came from Currys or Comet because they were cheapest.

Tell a lie...my washing machine came from Rumbelows.

My computer came from PC World but I see it's now Currys/PC World.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What happened?
Cooker, fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, two stereos, iron etc...
All my stuff in the 80s and 90s came from Currys or Comet because they were cheapest.

Tell a lie...my washing machine came from Rumbelows.

My computer came from PC World but I see it's now Currys/PC World.

Comet went bust a couple of years back.

PC World is now part of the same group as Currys (imaginatively called Currys PC World)

Currys is no more than a box shifter with stores and clueless staff. Twice now, we have checked stock levels for a particular item in the local store then gone there to buy it only to be told they were out of stock, when we pointed to the stock levels on our tablet they just said 'oh that's only a guide, it's almost always out of date' - shrugged and walked off. Needless to say my other half went ballistic!!!

Rumbelows - aaahhhh, yes I recall their Walton on Thames store!!!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Rumbelows - aaahhhh, yes I recall their Walton on Thames store!!!
Walton on Thames! Brings back many memories!
My Granny lived in Shepperton so we regularly went to Walton!
I remember when I was a teenager being dragged around clothing stores in Walton to buy a suitable outfit for a New Years Eve thing as my Mum wouldn't let me wear jeans and sneakers and I hadn't brought anything else with me from France. Lol
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Walton on Thames! Brings back many memories!
My Granny lived in Shepperton so we regularly went to Walton!
I remember when I was a teenager being dragged around clothing stores in Walton to buy a suitable outfit for a New Years Eve thing as my Mum wouldn't let me wear jeans and sneakers and I hadn't brought anything else with me from France. Lol

Technically, we were in Oatlands, so preferred to be associated with Weybridge. Only went to Walton under duress - as for Shepperton?? Other side of the river??? Argh!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Currys...we have checked stock levels for a particular item in the local store then gone there to buy it only to be told they were out of stock, when we pointed to the stock levels on our tablet they just said 'oh that's only a guide, it's almost always out of date'
That happens at Canadian Tire too.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. All becomes clear.

OK, as you were. I was wondering what I was doing that was so terrible choosing to bring my children up in the UK, but it's clearly a very different way of life where I live to where you are.

I suspect you'll find very similar in Canada's cities though, pretty much any city or major town has similar issues with drugs and violence unfortunately. My solution is to hide myself away in the countryside and only venture to a city about twice a year!
I have not seen the level that was being described in Wigan and what I have seen in the cities in the SE of England, in Halifax. Totally different ambience outside a nightclub at 3am
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have not seen the level that was being described in Wigan and what I have seen in the cities in the SE of England, in Halifax. Totally different ambience outside a nightclub at 3am
They have nightclubs in Halifax?!?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

They have nightclubs in Halifax?!?
yeah a few, its a musical town, Irish bars, waterfront dancing, I think 3 large nightclubs. Its fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.