Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Old Mar 28th 2017, 3:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Originally Posted by Buck2467
Im looking forward to a rural life. Not bothered about city life. Want the whole land, livestock and growing my own lifestyle. Property seems to be cheap enough where I'm looking in nova scotia, for the cost of my 4 bed terrace in Somerset I could get a 5 bed detached with workshop and 2 bed granny annex in plenty of land. Issue I've got is my trade, I'm an aircraft (helicopter) mechanic, and so far I've not found many employers online and those that are advertising seem to be offering a lot less than I'm currently on. If cost of living is so high I'm worried wether I will be able to sustain a decent enoigh lifestyle for my family to warrant the move. I'm very early on in the process though and am still researching

check out IMP Group, www.impgroup.com
Old Mar 28th 2017, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Im looking forward to a rural life. Not bothered about city life. Want the whole land, livestock and growing my own lifestyle. Property seems to be cheap enough where I'm looking in nova scotia, for the cost of my 4 bed terrace in Somerset I could get a 5 bed detached with workshop and 2 bed granny annex in plenty of land. Issue I've got is my trade, I'm an aircraft (helicopter) mechanic, and so far I've not found many employers online and those that are advertising seem to be offering a lot less than I'm currently on. If cost of living is so high I'm worried wether I will be able to sustain a decent enoigh lifestyle for my family to warrant the move. I'm very early on in the process though and am still researching
One of my neighbours has a helicopter on a plinth in his garden. He used to fly them for Ontario Hydro so, while not a mechanic, he achieved what you're looking for (100 acres, large house, many outbuildings), not in NS admittedly. I would think the power company, and oil companies, would have enough helicopters to warrant having staff mechanics and that there are independent helicopter service places at the airport (commutable from here if working shifts).

This is the snag with Canada (and the rest of the world), the work isn't where the scenery is and it isn't where the cheap houses are.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Also the thought of bringing up kids in the UK is enough to make me want to never had kids.
Out of interest, why? What is it about the UK that you think is so awful for bringing up children?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Buck2467 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Howefamily. I've already checked out IMP group and is one of the few employers that looks like the way ahead. In fact they've got a job advertised that is exactly what I do now and on the same airframe, however, frustratingly no indication of salary. I'm sure I'll find work, just prefer not to take a drop in pay
Old Mar 28th 2017, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE. The best thing to do would be to start your own thread with info about the kind of wages you'd expect, and the kind of lifestyle you'd be after, and those in NS will be able to help you figure out if it's achievable or not.

Do you need a job offer to get a visa, or do you qualify without one?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 4:04 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Howefamily. I've already checked out IMP group and is one of the few employers that looks like the way ahead. In fact they've got a job advertised that is exactly what I do now and on the same airframe, however, frustratingly no indication of salary. I'm sure I'll find work, just prefer not to take a drop in pay
Thats the Canadian way. They dont tend to mention salary unless its a government job. If you are apply for a role they tend to ask for your salary expectations in your cover letter or at the interview stage, depending on the company.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 4:09 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, why? What is it about the UK that you think is so awful for bringing up children?
I have come to realise that once your child hits junior high there is not a great deal of difference in the culture in schools. Its all drama for the girls and ridiculousness whether you are in the UK or NS. I cant comment yet on high schools.

The only difference I can honestly say I have noticed is that the kids in NS for the most part are not the gobby little shites that I met waaaay too often in Horley Surrey. They are polite and respectful to adults.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 4:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an aircraft (helicopter) mechanic, and so far I've not found many employers online and those that are advertising seem to be offering a lot less than I'm currently on.
other related information

Average wage for your trade in Nova Scotia is approx $26/hr (source: job bank Canada)

Aircraft Maintenance Technician Certification | Canadian Council for Aviation and Aerospace

NOC 2011 - 7315 - Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng...rce=6#job_opps

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng...&source=allnoc

Last edited by not2old; Mar 28th 2017 at 4:35 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have come to realise that once your child hits junior high there is not a great deal of difference in the culture in schools. Its all drama for the girls and ridiculousness whether you are in the UK or NS. I cant comment yet on high schools.

The only difference I can honestly say I have noticed is that the kids in NS for the most part are not the gobby little shites that I met waaaay too often in Horley Surrey. They are polite and respectful to adults.
Depends on the children rather than the country I'd have thought. I've not met many gobby little shites, most of the kids I know are polite and respectful too. The occasional one on a school trip but all of our friends kids and our children's friends are lovely kids that I'd happily spend time with. No drama for mine yet (daughter is coming up to 13 soon), but that may change as she gets older.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Buck2467 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou not2old
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Wigan, when I was growing up in primary school I could be walking home from school and get jumped by the local scummy older kids. One of my friends was thrown in front of a car so he got run over and was left with a very big scar down the back of his head. He was 10 and the lads that did it were 13-15. By the time I left primary school I knew that if I crossed the street it was a sign of weakness so I'd get jumped, but if I didn't cross then it was me saying i'm not scared.. so I'd get jumped.

In high school pretty much weekly a lad used to spit on my back as I got off the bus, for no reason? I didn't even know the lad when he started doing it. I'd drag him off the bus and slap him around a bit, then the following day a group of lads ranging from 15 to 20+ would be waiting for me. Rinse and repeat for 3 years. The same lads hospitalised my older brother. The spitting lad that spat on me also spat on my friend, so my friend slapped him around. Then my friend got jumped, had his head jumped on and nearly lost his eye. Another one of my friends was stood waiting for a bus and some pissed up bloke punched him so hard his tooth came through his mouth.

Also in high school GMPTE refused to supply busses to school because the scum were destroying them, I seen one girl piss out of a window on the school bus, I mean seriously what is that.

By the time I left school I'd had more fights than I care to remember, and by the time I was 20 I'd had my nose broken three times and for no fault of my own. I cannot believe the ridiculous idiots that live around here and in the surrounding towns.

I was out with a friend in town and a lad came over and tried to stab him purely because my friend works out and this lad wanted to show that just because he has 'muscles' it didn't mean anything because he could get stabbed. Luckily my friend had muscles because he caught the lads hand and restrained him.

The drug use in the north west is ridiculous, there was a program on Wigan showing people using cocaine on the war memorial in town but that's not even the half of it. At one point metal detectors were installed on the main street in town due to knife crime.

I've worked away in most places in the UK and it's the similar in most 'affordable' areas. I don't have any family except my brother and although I have worked hard I will never realistically be able to afford to live in a decent area. Even the 'posh' area of Wigan has houses which cost £350k+ and they're clearly not worth that amount but I can't afford that anyway.

I truly believe this country is getting worse and the decent people are the ones who suffer. If you have money you can buy yourself away from it to some extent.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good people in Wigan, most of my school friends have emigrated and I can't blame them.
A small selection of Wigan's greatest hits:

Man kicked in face as he tied his laces - Wigan Today

Young clubber suffers gruesome facial injury after being attacked with a bottle in a Wigan bar - Manchester Evening News

Wigan tops list of domestic violence arrests - Wigan Today

Gang plotted to supply £5m worth of cocaine - Wigan Today

Police: Man wanted over hit and run has fled the country - Wigan Today

Yobs film sickening assault on girl, 12, in Wigan town centre - Wigan Today

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/eight...ntre-1-8455060

If you like reading about violent crime and drugs, just booked mark the Wigan today news page..

Last edited by Shakyuk; Mar 28th 2017 at 6:45 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I live in Wigan
Ah. All becomes clear.

OK, as you were. I was wondering what I was doing that was so terrible choosing to bring my children up in the UK, but it's clearly a very different way of life where I live to where you are.

I suspect you'll find very similar in Canada's cities though, pretty much any city or major town has similar issues with drugs and violence unfortunately. My solution is to hide myself away in the countryside and only venture to a city about twice a year!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you'll find very similar in Canada's cities though, pretty much any city or major town has similar issues with drugs and violence unfortunately. My solution is to hide myself away in the countryside and only venture to a city about twice a year!
I don't think this is true of Toronto. I concede though that the areas I know, areas affordable to two people with trades who had a couple of children, when I lived there, are likely now beyond the means of ordinary people. Leslieville, for example, my daughter was a lifeguard there say 15 years ago, it was poor and the streets smelled of weed but, except in the one bar, there was no cause for fear of violence and no reason she couldn't walk home, or catch the tram, when the pool closed at 11. I believe most of the east end is still safe like that with mainly orderly school kids, the problem is just that, if you don't already live there, you can't afford to now.

Yes, you can find some rough bits of Scarborough and Rexdale is a frightening dump. Yes, you can get shot in after hours clubs but, by and large, people in Toronto do not deal with worse than street beggars in the course of an ordinary week.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think this is true of Toronto. I concede though that the areas I know, areas affordable to two people with trades who had a couple of children, when I lived there, are likely now beyond the means of ordinary people. Leslieville, for example, my daughter was a lifeguard there say 15 years ago, it was poor and the streets smelled of weed but, except in the one bar, there was no cause for fear of violence and no reason she couldn't walk home, or catch the tram, when the pool closed at 11. I believe most of the east end is still safe like that with mainly orderly school kids, the problem is just that, if you don't already live there, you can't afford to now.

Yes, you can find some rough bits of Scarborough and Rexdale is a frightening dump. Yes, you can get shot in after hours clubs but, by and large, people in Toronto do not deal with worse than street beggars in the course of an ordinary week.
I'd disagree. The only place I've ever been a victim of crime was Toronto, when I was walking down a street at about 9pm.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Wigan

If you like reading about violent crime and drugs, just booked mark the Wigan today news page..
Why continue to live in Wigan if crime is so bad - is there anywhere else in the UK you could move to, maybe Liverpool?

Toronto isn't so bad

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/stat.../ytd_stats.php

Toronto compared to Manchester UK

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare...atchComparison

Toronto compared to Liverpool UK

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare...atchComparison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.