Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Not really a fair comparison when one considers the shipping and handling costs from the highlands of Scotland to a BC Liquor Store.
Contrast that with Northern Harvest: ~£90 in the UK, ~$35 in the LCBO.

Took a bottle over for my whisky-loving cousin as a wedding present. Hadn't tried it myself until we cracked it open round his the night before, alongside a few other serious bottles. It certainly stood up to them, hype controversy aside...

When it comes to booze, quality over quantity is my thing these days. I've noticed that the limited-run Belgian and US things that come in to the LCBO are (surprisingly) fairly well priced. A recent example of the latter is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy: $4.85 (and available!) in my LCBO, $15.99 (US) in Premier Gourmet for a 4-pack, and out of stock. I understand it'd set you back at least a fiver in a UK retail outlet.

A more on-topic question: how long will it take for TTIP to feed through to getting decent cheese at an affordable price?

(good RIS and good cheese is an amazing pairing.. )
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz

A more on-topic question: how long will it take for TTIP to feed through to getting decent cheese at an affordable price?

(good RIS and good cheese is an amazing pairing.. )
I'm having some camembert right now and just nibbled on some goat gouda. I just don't get the complaint about the supply of cheese; what cheese can you not get?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

twopintsandabagofcrisps is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything is cheaper in the UK don't be fooled. Life in Canada is VERY VERY Expensive.

Just wanted to say it as it is.

Actually the only thing that's cheaper is Gas, but you have to drive more so it works out about the same.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twopintsandabagofcrisps
Everything is cheaper in the UK don't be fooled.
Ice hockey sticks. Maple Syrup. Council Tax. Horses. Boats. Aeroplanes. Eating out. Marijuana.

How much is a lap dance in the UK?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ice hockey sticks. Maple Syrup. Council Tax. Horses. Boats. Aeroplanes. Eating out. Marijuana.

Depends which bar in Newcastle you are in or how pissed she is? If she's that pissed its probably free.

Curling brooms, McDonalds and Im sure there are more.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:35 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

probably about the same..but you get a better quality/class of lap dancer in the UK (well docklands) in my experience.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Ha Ha,

When was the last time you needed an ice hockey stick in the UK?

When was the last time you used Maple syrup in the UK?

From what I see and pay council tax is much more in Canada.

Horses I've never bought one and don't plan to so, I wouldn't know. (like 99% of people)

Boats I've never bought one and don't plan to so, I wouldn't know. (like 99% of people) If you mean ferries they are much cheaper in the UK.

Aeroplanes I've never bought one and don't plan to so, I wouldn't know. (like 99% of people) If you mean flights you are dead wrong, compare Ryan Air and Easy Jet to anywhere in Canada on any airline.

Eating out is MUCH MUCH MORE expensive, don't believe me? Just go look at a restaurant, also check the alcohol price while there. Then add tax and the mandatory 15% tip.

Marijuana? Lap dance? Come on now behave.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:45 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha,

From what I see and pay council tax is much more in Canada.

Horses I've never bought one and don't plan to so, I wouldn't know. (like 99% of people)

Boats I've never bought one and don't plan to so, I wouldn't know. (like 99% of people) If you mean ferries they are much cheaper in the UK.

Aeroplanes I've never bought one and don't plan to so, I wouldn't know. (like 99% of people) If you mean flights you are dead wrong, compare Ryan Air and Easy Jet to anywhere in Canada on any airline.

Eating out is MUCH MUCH MORE expensive, don't believe me? Just go look at a restaurant, also check the alcohol price while there. Then add tax and the mandatory 15% tip.

Marijuana? Lap dance? Come on now behave.
$6 for a glass of wine in a restaurant and similiar for a cocktail isnt too bad in my view....
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is cheaper in the UK don't be fooled. Life in Canada is VERY VERY Expensive.

Just wanted to say it as it is.

Actually the only thing that's cheaper is Gas, but you have to drive more so it works out about the same.
You don't have to, you can choose to. I drive half the mileage that I did in the UK, and that's mostly due to a far more convenient commute.

Suggesting absolutes doesn't reflect reality at all.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
$6 for a glass of wine in a restaurant and similiar for a cocktail isnt too bad in my view....
Ok lets take an average restaurant like Earls not the cheapest but not high end either.

https://earls.ca/locations/kelowna/menu/bar

The CHEAPEST Plonk is $8.50 (And I do mean plonk) Lets add tax and tip which are mandatory.

So now I'm paying $12 for a glass of plonk.

Glass of plonk in medium class restaurant/bar = 7.50 pounds

Really comparable? Ha Ha
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
You don't have to, you can choose to. I drive half the mileage that I did in the UK, and that's mostly due to a far more convenient commute.

Suggesting absolutes doesn't reflect reality at all.
Most people have to drive further, Canada is a much bigger country than the UK hence everything is spread out further. Which means longer driving times. If not commuting (if you live in the downtown) then driving anywhere on a trip.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:03 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a 100km round trip each day on admittedly quiet highways. My Golf costs about $40 to fill up and that lasts me 5 days. I argue that is still cheaper than the UK.
So for my glass of wine I pay around $6 plus tax so thats $6.90 plus tip which now makes it $7.95 so, nope, not $12
Maybe I am not frequenting expensive enough restaurants...
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Ha Ha,

I've never wanted either, anywhere, I'm just making fun of the idea that absolutely everything is more expensive in one country than the other. That's not true.

Generally these discussions conclude with the view that overall things cost about the same but, depending on location within the countries and one's specific interests, one location may be financially better then the other (refer cost of aeroplanes).
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:28 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks is cheaper in the UK
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:59 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Starbucks is cheaper in the UK
Do they have caramel macciattos in the UK? I wonder what it costs? I pay about $4.95 plus tax here for one, so $5.69. For it to be cheaper it would have to be less than £3.55

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.