Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

And there we have it...

And there we have it...

Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Talking And there we have it...

Less than a month in Canada, and we've:

- bought a car (and insured it)
- signed up for OHIP
- Opened a savings account in Canada for our $ (our £ are still earning better interest in the UK)
- enjoyed several trips out and about, including up to Ottawa
- and as of yesterday, we've both got job offers on the table (both in IT)!!

It was weird...OH turned down an offer in Ottawa because it just wasn't right (the job, the area, the fact that they wanted him to start in a couple of days, even though we didn't have anywhere to live, etc, and also because I had no job nibbles in Ottawa). The following day I had two interviews in Ottawa (that I turned down, because we'd decided we weren't going up there).

OH had an interview on Friday that went well, he was called in for a second interview on Tuesday. I had an interview on Monday that went well, I've been called in for a second interview on Friday. He got a phone call yesterday morning offering him the job, I had an interview yesterday morning, and they called and offered me the job (no second interview) about 8:30pm last night. I'll be earning more than I was in the UK, OH is still waiting for the official package to be disclosed before he accepts.

It looks like OH might be starting work on Monday, I'll be a few days later (they need to courier paperwork from the head office in Ottawa), so between now and then we'll need to get a second car (and more insurance - double ouch!).

Not bad for 29 days in the country!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:33 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Default Re: And there we have it...

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

- signed up for OHIP
- Opened a savings account in Canada for our $ (our £ are still earning better interest in the UK)

It was weird...OH turned down an offer in Ottawa because it just wasn't right (the job, the area, the fact that they wanted him to start in a couple of days, even though we didn't have anywhere to live, etc, and also because I had no job nibbles in Ottawa). The following day I had two interviews in Ottawa (that I turned down, because we'd decided we weren't going up there).

OH had an interview on Friday that went well, he was called in for a second interview on Tuesday. I had an interview on Monday that went well, I've been called in for a second interview on Friday. He got a phone call yesterday morning offering him the job, I had an interview yesterday morning, and they called and offered me the job (no second interview) about 8:30pm last night. I'll be earning more than I was in the UK, OH is still waiting for the official package to be disclosed before he accepts.

It looks like OH might be starting work on Monday, I'll be a few days later (they need to courier paperwork from the head office in Ottawa), so between now and then we'll need to get a second car (and more insurance - double ouch!).

Congrats to you both, must be a weight off your minds knowingyou are going to be earning money.

Now the fun starts - house hunting, furniture buying etc.

best of luck
Jane
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, that's great news. Nice to see someone doing really well
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:34 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah congratulations, great stuff.
Blimey at this rate the happy people will be outnumbering the moaners!!! :scared: What ever next?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats - sounds like a really good and promising start - delighted for you both - all the best
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:06 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad at all.

Best of luck to you both.

Raine
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:12 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, just the Snowblower and Skidoo required before you will be indistinguishable from the locals!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:30 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

WOW - what an action packed 29 days. Congratulations on the jobs - great to be earning money and not eating into your equity.

You have certainly hit the ground running!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

- signed up for OHIP

Congrats to you. Well done. Now all you need is a pic of you in a canoe with a canada hat listening to gordon lightfoot.

Well done!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats. You're through with a major hurdle... All other regular settlement things will be part and parcel of the newbies... In 6 months, you'd find yourself all the comfy.

Originally Posted by willmore
Congrats to you. Well done. Now all you need is a pic of you in a canoe with a canada hat listening to gordon lightfoot.

Well done!