Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there a canadian equivalent to Open University?

Is there a canadian equivalent to Open University?

Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a canadian equivalent to Open University?

Awesome, thanks.

I'm professionally IT certified but I stupidly never finished Uni because lets just say I was a bit of an arty-type in my younger years and I didn't really know what to do with my life. Where it gets complicated for us though is that although my partner is a graduate, I'm the one with the positive work experience really.

I'm looking at starting a degree with the OU this year actually and I just sent the registration documents off to them the other day. I've also been looking at studying with the UoLE since they are a bit more open to people globetrotting whilst studying with them but they certainly make up for extra pain in the arse points in other areas and the applications department have given me more trouble then the brick uni I attended full time ever did.

To be honest I think that there must be benefits to studying post-25. I work for an educational institution now and most of the students there are morons who really don't have a clue so at least half of them must end up either choosing something they're not actually interested it or, worse still, a degree which turns out to be completely useless.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Aug 12th 2010 at 9:30 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a canadian equivalent to Open University?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think in North America especially there are a lot of diploma mills which will basically hand out a phD after people attend a short 3 week course or a BA for just passing a couple of nonsense exams online. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the OU though which is fully UK accredited and seen as much higher than some other brick colleges privately ran institutions which offer Bacherlors and Masters degrees in the UK.
I can confirm its higher. I had an easier time with my postgrad than I did my OU undergrad, some of those courses were /tough/!