Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Old Nov 20th 2019, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

Really? Why? (Only recently dropped ours cos I got worried about fraud )
In case you want to transact business in the UK, either because you've returned or due to some other circumstance. It's difficult to open an account in the UK if you don't live there and if, for example, you suddenly have pounds, you'll need somewhere to put them. At some point it'll become less useful to have the account but I'm not there yet.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 6:13 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
UK credit card can continue to be used in Canada when there's no credit record here or you have a low credit limit, at least initially. This does seem less of a problem than it was a few years ago.

If one has a UK income, it can still go into the UK account. Transferring income by Transferwise between accounts likely gives you a better rate than having the UK income paid into a Canadian account.

And if all this applies, the UK bank account can be used to pay the credit card payments.

In the event of a return to the UK it's easier to already have a bank account than to try and open one.

I use my mum's address in the UK but others have been more upfront and given Canadian addresses. But some have done that and then run into problems with having accounts closed.
+1 - this is why I kept all of mine open.

The UK credit card in particular is better than paying foreign transaction fee. For example, every time I return, I have to hire a car - better to put it on my YL credit card

Old Nov 20th 2019, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That is what happened to me, but with a US bank. When I originally moved I kept my checking account and credit card in the US, but made the mistake of changing my address to Canadian, about 3 months later got a letter in the mail saying the accounts had been closed and they can't support accounts for those living outside the US, and thanking me for being a loyal customer. Upside they forgave the small balance on the credit card and sent me a check for the balance in the checking account.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
UK credit card can continue to be used in Canada when there's no credit record here or you have a low credit limit, at least initially. This does seem less of a problem than it was a few years ago.

If one has a UK income, it can still go into the UK account. Transferring income by Transferwise between accounts likely gives you a better rate than having the UK income paid into a Canadian account.

And if all this applies, the UK bank account can be used to pay the credit card payments.

In the event of a return to the UK it's easier to already have a bank account than to try and open one.

I use my mum's address in the UK but others have been more upfront and given Canadian addresses. But some have done that and then run into problems with having accounts closed.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is what happened to me, but with a US bank. When I originally moved I kept my checking account and credit card in the US, but made the mistake of changing my address to Canadian, about 3 months later got a letter in the mail saying the accounts had been closed and they can't support accounts for those living outside the US, and thanking me for being a loyal customer. Upside they forgave the small balance on the credit card and sent me a check for the balance in the checking account.
Yes, I have told my UK account bank (Nationwide) that my address is that of my mother-in-law (UK address) for that very reason. I have heard that people have given their UK bank their Canadian address and they are fine, but I have also heard of banks doing what happened to you (i.e. change of policy a few years down the line).
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Thanksnan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts. We are here now and enjoying it so far! Haven’t found any food stuffs to be an issue, the only thing I’m nervous of is driving in the snow/ice 😬
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thanksnan
Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts. We are here now and enjoying it so far! Haven’t found any food stuffs to be an issue, the only thing I’m nervous of is driving in the snow/ice 😬
Be afraid, be very very afraid. lol.

Welcome to Canada!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 10:41 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and a welcome from me as well. Take it easy on the ice both before and after you get used to it; there's no penalty for being cautious.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts. We are here now and enjoying it so far! Haven’t found any food stuffs to be an issue, the only thing I’m nervous of is driving in the snow/ice ������

I would suggest ideally getting an all-wheel drive car and definitely invest in a separate set of snow tyres and rims and change onto them every November, then back again in April. This does not render you invincible, but if you then also drive with care and keep your distance, you will be fine. Snow tyres is one of the questions many insurance companies will ask and your premium will be adjusted accordingly (although it will still be eye-wateringly expensive compared to the UK!).

The number of all-singing all-dancing Dodge Ram type 'trucks' with AWD and serious ****-off snow tyres that I saw in ditches around Ottawa year before last beggared belief - I guess they thought (and drove) like they had all the answers!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

AMB1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

once again Welcome to Edmonton!! if you need a hand with anything let me know, i'm At the Airport most days!!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I would suggest ideally getting an all-wheel drive car and definitely invest in a separate set of snow tyres and rims and change onto them every November, then back again in April. This does not render you invincible, but if you then also drive with care and keep your distance, you will be fine. Snow tyres is one of the questions many insurance companies will ask and your premium will be adjusted accordingly (although it will still be eye-wateringly expensive compared to the UK!).

The number of all-singing all-dancing Dodge Ram type 'trucks' with AWD and serious ****-off snow tyres that I saw in ditches around Ottawa year before last beggared belief - I guess they thought (and drove) like they had all the answers!
ummmmmm...

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had used my dad's address, but I was young and naive at the time, live and learn. Biggest downside is now I have no credit history in the US, so if I ever moved back it would be a pain until I rebuilt it.

Now if the courthouse would get the clue I no longer live in the US, life would be good. About once a year my dad gets a jury duty summons for me and mails it to me, then I have to mail it back saying I no longer reside in California or the US and thus not eligible for jury duty at this time, you would think after 15 years of me telling them this they would clue in, but I suppose it might be automated and if they are using voter lists I still vote so it may appear to their computers I am still eligible for jury duty.

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yes, I have told my UK account bank (Nationwide) that my address is that of my mother-in-law (UK address) for that very reason. I have heard that people have given their UK bank their Canadian address and they are fine, but I have also heard of banks doing what happened to you (i.e. change of policy a few years down the line).
Old Nov 24th 2019, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

you can get beef stock cubes, no problems

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I wish I'd packed my kitchen utensils and loads of oxo cubes.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

Mince (Christmas) pies
Real Heinz bean's
My 240v tools, appliances, dj equipment (LOL)
A magnifying glass (to read the food labels)
A French Dictionary, because everything has to be labeled in 2 languages
Mothercare (although they went bust)
My 944
Washer with integral Dryer
Gas Cooker (although I have one now)
Tesco's & Sainsbury's - Because I just understood the food better there
My Sense of Humor (cos your def going to need that !)
Old Jan 30th 2020, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Thanksnan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adrianj
Mince (Christmas) pies
Real Heinz bean's
My 240v tools, appliances, dj equipment (LOL)
A magnifying glass (to read the food labels)
A French Dictionary, because everything has to be labeled in 2 languages
Mothercare (although they went bust)
My 944
Washer with integral Dryer
Gas Cooker (although I have one now)
Tesco's & Sainsbury's - Because I just understood the food better there
My Sense of Humor (cos your def going to need that !)
I completely get where you’re coming from re cooker and appliances - the power here takes some getting used to! My hairdryer was replaced sharpish.
Just in case you really are missing them, I have seen real Heinz beans (along with several other imported British stuff, including Robertson’s Mincemeat!) in Walmart. Didn’t think $2.50ish was a bad price either.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, my family and I are less than 2 weeks away from moving to Edmonton, AB 😬
Is there anything you wish you’d known then (ie, anything you’d have brought with you, things you’d have done differently after arriving etc)?

New to BE so will have a read of the posts and advice etc.
Thanks in advance!
Which part of the UK are you from. I should ne moving to Edmonton or Calgary in the Summer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.