Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Thanksnan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Hi all, my family and I are less than 2 weeks away from moving to Edmonton, AB 😬
Is there anything you wish you’d known then (ie, anything you’d have brought with you, things you’d have done differently after arriving etc)?

New to BE so will have a read of the posts and advice etc.
Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:58 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

I wish I'd packed my kitchen utensils and loads of oxo cubes.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:22 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bring your mother in law
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE!

There's lots of good info in our wiki so please make a drink and settle down for some reading https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ..._Topics-Canada

Have you got Permanent Residence or coming on a Temporary Work Permit? Have you prepared your "Goods to Follow" and "Goods Accompanying" lists? You will need them if you want to import any of your personal possessions without paying duty/taxes.

Mattress's are a different size in Canada (see the wiki) so be prepared to have to buy new sheets etc., - if you are bringing some with you they may not fit. There are numerous $ stores to buy basics to get you through the early weeks / months - cheap cups / cutlery / crockery / tea towels / kitchen utensils etc. Walmart and Canadian Tire are good for household small appliances like kettles, toasters, coffee maker - and Walmart is ok for bedding too.. Ikea have similar size bedding to the UK if you need it.

Don't buy anywhere to live until you have lived in the area for at least 6 months - what seems like a good idea when you first arrive could be an area you hate a few months later!

If you use 'mixed herbs' bring a few packets of refills with you - the nearest thing to them you will find here is an 'Italian blend' which just isn't the same.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 6th 2019 at 3:43 am.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hi, welcome to BE!

If you use 'mixed herbs' bring a few packets of refills with you - the nearest thing to them you will find here is an 'Italian blend' which just isn't the same.
After over 50 years here, I've forgotten what "mixed herbs" were.

I use Fine Herbs here .......... how do they match with mixed herbs???
Old Nov 6th 2019, 4:09 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hi, welcome to BE!

There's lots of good info in our wiki so please make a drink and settle down for some reading https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ..._Topics-Canada

Have you got Permanent Residence or coming on a Temporary Work Permit? Have you prepared your "Goods to Follow" and "Goods Accompanying" lists? You will need them if you want to import any of your personal possessions without paying duty/taxes.

Mattress's are a different size in Canada (see the wiki) so be prepared to have to buy new sheets etc., - if you are bringing some with you they may not fit. There are numerous $ stores to buy basics to get you through the early weeks / months - cheap cups / cutlery / crockery / tea towels / kitchen utensils etc. Walmart and Canadian Tire are good for household small appliances like kettles, toasters, coffee maker - and Walmart is ok for bedding too.. Ikea have similar size bedding to the UK if you need it.

Don't buy anywhere to live until you have lived in the area for at least 6 months - what seems like a good idea when you first arrive could be an area you hate a few months later!

there’s a Provençal herbs version too....otherwise you’re stuffed
Old Nov 6th 2019, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't close your UK bank account. Keep a UK credit card.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

life is no better or worse than it was in the UK..just colder
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I knew that Kamloops got so hot in the summer. No one told me if stays in the 30's for all of July & August.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Rich_BC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Don't bring your mother in law
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:21 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had known how expensive everything is in Canada.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Colman's Casserole mixes

Chip shop curry mix

Old Nov 6th 2019, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I wish I had known how expensive everything is in Canada.
Me too. I had come to visit a few times before I moved here, but I guess as a visitor I didn't need to do the typical day to day stuff so didn't fully realize how costly things can be. There are some exceptions though, healthcare is far cheaper as is electricity compared to my home country/state.

I knew coastal BC was known for rain, but I wish I had known just how much rain this place can get, my first winter here was harsh, December that year was basically all rain and nothing but rain, I did not do well those first couple of winters.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't close your UK bank account. Keep a UK credit card.
+1!
Old Nov 6th 2019, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Similar thread from a few months ago - Things you wish you could’ve done differently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.