Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything you wish you’d known before moving to Canada?

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
This thread has reminded me of an odd thing we’ve become aware of recently. My son will drink a lot of milk as long as it contains Banana Nesquik, which is something we haven’t regularly been able to source in Canada, apart from some British shops.
A friend has recently started working at one of these local establishments so I asked her if it was possible to buy some direct from their suppliers. The supplier has now come back to say that its banned in Canada but he knows not the reason why!
According to Google

Nesquik Banana was discontinued in 2014 ..............
Nesquik on Twitter: "@SmallBizKY Unfortunately, Banana was discontinued due to low sales volume.Oct 9, 2014

I can't anything to say it was banned in Canada.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
...I remember that we used to get our pay cheques attached to the pay slip, and had to detach it and take it into the bank personally. The big advance was Direct Deposit of our salaries into the pay bank!
I had my pay like that when I went monthly. Previously it was cash, rounded to the nearest £. It would be £13 for a few weeks and then £14 which seemed a real bonus.

On promotion I went monthly and the cheque was a Paymaster General thing that needed a signature and the bank would give me cash. £58 something.

We got given a £10 incentive to have the money paid directly into the bank.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

We weren't given any choice .............. just "advised" that that is what would happen as of such-and-such a date!

Nor were we given any choice when they decided to go semi-monthly instead of monthly. just advised it was going to happen!

Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

From my first job in 1996 until end of 2001 had paper checks and took them to the bank, my started offering direct deposit around 1998 for eligible employers, but at that time my employer didn't offer it yet, in 2000 my employer started offering it but I kept paper checks until 2002, bank didn't give me anything but it was go direct deposit and keep the account free of monthly fees, or pay a monthly fee.

I had my pay like that when I went monthly. Previously it was cash, rounded to the nearest £. It would be £13 for a few weeks and then £14 which seemed a real bonus.

On promotion I went monthly and the cheque was a Paymaster General thing that needed a signature and the bank would give me cash. £58 something.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
According to Google

Nesquik Banana was discontinued in 2014 ..............
Nesquik on Twitter: "@SmallBizKY Unfortunately, Banana was discontinued due to low sales volume.Oct 9, 2014

I can't anything to say it was banned in Canada.
That makes more sense than saying it was banned - thanks for the info
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958

That makes more sense than saying it was banned - thanks for the info
You can get it from https://www.amazon.ca/Nestle-Nesquik-Banana-Flavor-nestle/dp/B009DPUNLO/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nesquik+banana&qid=1573606980&sr=8-1
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't close your UK bank account. Keep a UK credit card.
This!

Couldn't believe how difficult it was to open a UK bank account when I returned to the UK.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd wish I'd known that plastic microwave containers with lids with vents in them were very hard to come by in Canada. I had an Australian guest bring some over from Australia!

From the UK, I brought lamb stock cubes over. I've not been able to find them here, and while I use very few prepared ingredients in my cooking (I like to make as much as I can from scratch), lamb stock cubes are very handy for lamb stew and lamb gravy making.

I second the comments about chocolate. And I had a cheese epiphany when +1 said my cauliflower cheese wasn't as tasty as usual. I've now found some "proper" cheese (Cows Creamery) to use in that dish!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MelVan
From the UK, I brought lamb stock cubes over. I've not been able to find them here, and while I use very few prepared ingredients in my cooking (I like to make as much as I can from scratch), lamb stock cubes are very handy for lamb stew and lamb gravy making.
Although 'cubes' of beef and chicken are here (albeit not really square ) I find they're not the same. They're almost 'wet' whereas my memory of Oxo cubes is they were fairly dry.

Since most of the stock flavourings here are powders rather than solids, if you look at the powder sections in the stores, you may see a Slow Cooker version for Lamb stew. I thought I'd seen a Club House version but can't see one on their website. Schwarz does some for a couple of Lamb Casseroles which may need Amazon, but then you can get the real lamb cubes there anyway.

Old Nov 14th 2019, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if it has been mentioned but there’s an Edmonton discussion forum which is really useful for asking questions about life in the city. Connect2edmonton.ca
Old Nov 14th 2019, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Although 'cubes' of beef and chicken are here (albeit not really square ) I find they're not the same. They're almost 'wet' whereas my memory of Oxo cubes is they were fairly dry.

Since most of the stock flavourings here are powders rather than solids, if you look at the powder sections in the stores, you may see a Slow Cooker version for Lamb stew. I thought I'd seen a Club House version but can't see one on their website. Schwarz does some for a couple of Lamb Casseroles which may need Amazon, but then you can get the real lamb cubes there anyway.
Thanks so much! I reckon I'm now in lamb stock cubes for life, as when I went back to the UK in September, and lamented the absence of lamb stock cubes, my friend with whom I was staying, bought me a "care package" of every lamb stock cube and stock pot under the sun!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
Not sure if it has been mentioned but there’s an Edmonton discussion forum which is really useful for asking questions about life in the city. Connect2edmonton.ca
Sorry to hijack. Tried to join on seeing this post, registration is a nightmare, still unable to register.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on buying a car, make sure you get a printed letter from your current UK insurer quoting any no-claims period you might have. Not many Canada insurance companies will give a damn, but if you're lucky to find one that will honour your no-claims, you'll need proof. Our first year for two cars/two drivers was £7,000 (still makes me cry a little)

If there's any educational documents you might need in the future, and I mean ANY, get them before you come. Trying to persuade a UK office worker to help you on the phone from 4 thousand miles away is a waste of time.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the two I've had the biggest problems with. Good luck.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't close your UK bank account. Keep a UK credit card.
Really? Why? (Only recently dropped ours cos I got worried about fraud )
Old Nov 20th 2019, 5:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

Really? Why? (Only recently dropped ours cos I got worried about fraud )
UK credit card can continue to be used in Canada when there's no credit record here or you have a low credit limit, at least initially. This does seem less of a problem than it was a few years ago.

If one has a UK income, it can still go into the UK account. Transferring income by Transferwise between accounts likely gives you a better rate than having the UK income paid into a Canadian account.

And if all this applies, the UK bank account can be used to pay the credit card payments.

In the event of a return to the UK it's easier to already have a bank account than to try and open one.

I use my mum's address in the UK but others have been more upfront and given Canadian addresses. But some have done that and then run into problems with having accounts closed.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 20th 2019 at 5:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.