Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Originally Posted by nldfc
What I dont like is just having the 2 seasons going from Winter to Summer then straight back to winter again
You missed a season. Road repairs.

Originally Posted by spaceace
Really....no fall colours?
Can't speak for everywhere but there's a lot of that here. Very nice.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Road repairs.....oh yes, placing a dollop of asphalt in the pot holes
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Really....no fall colours and spring weekend ?
Toronto def has an Autumn, but Spring seems to be somewhat lacking, apart from the Cherry tree blossom in High Park! Generally cool till around the end of May when Summer bursts onto the scene!

No daffodils or crocus in sight right now.....
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Really....no fall colours and spring weekend ?
Not much of it - even the leaves seem to go from green to gone in the blink of an eye
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Can't speak for everywhere but there's a lot of that here. Very nice.
We class Road Repair season as the start of summer
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

I just love having 4 seasons so always look forward to the first snowfall. However, about this time of year just itching for warmer weather, literally, because my only downfall is the dry, itchy skin I seem to suffer from every winter. Each year its getting worse even with humidifiers everywhere pumping out continually and lashings of Aveeno.

The upside is it means my case for retiring to Florida to avoid the winters is signed, sealed and delivered!!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

Ooh yes, I'm thinking the same about Florida. And we can lure the grandchildren down for visits with the power of the mouse.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skara
So, here's today's question: everyone goes on about the interminable winters, particularly in Alberta. Is there anyone on here who wants to tell me they don't really mind the winter? After the winter you've had, this has to be the best time ever for me to hear the truth.
Those that go on about how bad the winters are in Alberta usually, but not always, have never lived in Alberta. The simple fact is that Alberta doesn't get huge amounts of snow and doesn't always have temperatures in the region of -40. Most of the time it is warm enough not to really notice it and people go about their day to day business with no real issues.

As has been said above, those that ski, play hockey etc don't mind the winters. I have experienced 5 winters now and, this past one has been the worst IMO. That said, it has not been so bad that I have wanted to return to England purely because of the climate, just as I didn't choose to leave England because of its climate.

I am a skier/snowboarder but I haven't been able to ski much this year for a variety of reasons. It doesn't bother me but, then, neither does not being able to find prawn cocktail crisps, Irn Bru, pork stratchings or anything else that lots also complain about. Each to their own and all that.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

Mmm. I've lived outside of the UK on a couple of occasions, and travelled quite a bit. I can't say I've ever missed any of the things people seem to miss.

This has been a great thread for getting a real picture of winter (and road repair season!) in Canada.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Those that go on about how bad the winters are in Alberta usually, but not always, have never lived in Alberta. The simple fact is that Alberta doesn't get huge amounts of snow and doesn't always have temperatures in the region of -40. Most of the time it is warm enough not to really notice it and people go about their day to day business with no real issues.

As has been said above, those that ski, play hockey etc don't mind the winters. I have experienced 5 winters now and, this past one has been the worst IMO. That said, it has not been so bad that I have wanted to return to England purely because of the climate, just as I didn't choose to leave England because of its climate.

I am a skier/snowboarder but I haven't been able to ski much this year for a variety of reasons. It doesn't bother me but, then, neither does not being able to find prawn cocktail crisps, Irn Bru, pork stratchings or anything else that lots also complain about. Each to their own and all that.

That reminds me - i'm going to Nova Scotia next week so Prawn Cocktail crisps , Iron Bru , and a decent scotch Pie here i come
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

What he said ^^^

This is my 47th winter and it's been a long one, saw longer and colder in the late sixties in Edmonton, so this one is not to bad by comparison.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
That reminds me - i'm going to Nova Scotia next week....decent scotch Pie here i come
I'd never heard of a Scotch Pie until I was in NB.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:26 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

I love the Canadian winter! OK, only experienced 3 so far (between 2004 and 2007) but looking forward to moving back permanently to have 'proper' winter weather forever!

I think you either have to hide indoors or get out and enjoy all that winter has to offer.

We lived in Ottawa and will be heading back there. For me, winter started early October when the curling season kicked off. I used to curl 2 or 3 times a week. As the snow came, I added in skiing a few times a week and when the canal opened for skating, skated once or twice a week. I wasn't too keen on the summers though - too hot and humid for me though bearable with AC!

I've skied in stupid temperatures, minus 30 something and I can honestly say I've felt colder here in the UK these past few winters than I ever did in Canada - no doubt due to not wearing enough layers and not heading off to different activities as we did there.

Both visits we've made back since we left have been in February half-term when we've managed a mini-winter with a bit of skating, skiing, curling, sledging.

My kids are looking forward to going back to Canada, partly because "you get a proper winter there, mum!"
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I cant get them at all in Newf now - I even resorted to making my own on occasion

I always just called them pies up until I got here
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

We enjoy the Alberta winters!! This year I joined the Okotoks cross country ski club and have really enjoyed getting out on the trails with my neighbour. The scenery is stunning and the workout is great. My hubby and the kids downhill ski most weekends but that's not really my thing. Apart from a few very cold days, life just seems to go on as usual. We embrace the winter for what it is and make the most of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.