Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice
Default Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Still waiting, waiting, waiting. Husband has a salary offer now for an intra-company transfer, but they're checking references and we're waiting to hear about relocation package. Meanwhile I'm reading up all I can, and gathering information. My previous job as an internet researcher is coming in handy.

So, here's today's question: everyone goes on about the interminable winters, particularly in Alberta. Is there anyone on here who wants to tell me they don't really mind the winter? After the winter you've had, this has to be the best time ever for me to hear the truth.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:36 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anyone who doesn't actually mind Canadian winters?

Originally Posted by skara
Still waiting, waiting, waiting. Husband has a salary offer now for an intra-company transfer, but they're checking references and we're waiting to hear about relocation package. Meanwhile I'm reading up all I can, and gathering information. My previous job as an internet researcher is coming in handy.

So, here's today's question: everyone goes on about the interminable winters, particularly in Alberta. Is there anyone on here who wants to tell me they don't really mind the winter? After the winter you've had, this has to be the best time ever for me to hear the truth.
Lots of people don't mind winter (skiiers, snowboarders, skaters, landscapers, travel agents..........).
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

We are none of the above, but I found it nice to have snow for a couple of months (NS).

Not sure how we would feel if it were here for much longer mind

...and it makes spring so much nicer when it arrives
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

I don't mind the winter here. We are in Ottawa which hasn't seen too hard a winter though. Yes the temperature has been low, but it honestly doesn't feel as cold here at -10 than it does in the UK at 0. It's all to do with the humidity.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rich07
I don't mind the winter here. We are in Ottawa which hasn't seen too hard a winter though. Yes the temperature has been low, but it honestly doesn't feel as cold here at -10 than it does in the UK at 0. It's all to do with the humidity.
yeah, less humidity really does make a lot of difference to how you feel the coldness :-)
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mind the winters and can say the each winter we have been here has been different
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

In Toronto the winters don't get as bad as some places, but I enjoy the winters. You get used to wrapping up and heading out. More often than not when it's minus who knows what outside, the sun is shining. Bright blue sky really helps the mood

Almost the worst thing is the dryness which leads to me getting static shocks several times a day!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HSJones

Almost the worst thing is the dryness which leads to me getting static shocks several times a day!
Oh my!.....it's not JUST me then LOL - annoying isn't it?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mind winter. Just a shame it snows.

The cold isn't a problem. Finding somewhere to put the snow when you clear it can be. Sometimes.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my third winter, and I looked forward to each of them.
However, this winter in particular has been a pain in the arse. The snow has recently started to melt, but we still have a good 3ft of the stuff on the garden.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy the winter up to a point - good to get out on the snowmobile and all that good stuff but getting tired off it now

What I dont like is just having the 2 seasons going from Winter to Summer then straight back to winter again
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nldfc

What I dont like is just having the 2 seasons going from Winter to Summer then straight back to winter again
Really....no fall colours and spring weekend ?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

Hallelujah. Thanks everyone, that's comforting. I know the shovelling is a pain in the bum, because I have friends in Canada already, but I just wondered if my love of skiing, ice skating, and being outside when it's so cold it catches in your throat was going to mysteriously disappear. Glad to hear I'm not alone
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by skara
Hallelujah. Thanks everyone, that's comforting. I know the shovelling is a pain in the bum, because I have friends in Canada already, but I just wondered if my love of skiing, ice skating, and being outside when it's so cold it catches in your throat was going to mysteriously disappear. Glad to hear I'm not alone
no need to shovel, they sell snow blowers in Canadiantire you know
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:30 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
Oh my!.....it's not JUST me then LOL - annoying isn't it?
Get a humidifier. They reduce the static a lot. I also sleep better when I use mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.