Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are there any companies who can help me arrange job interviews in Calgary?

Are there any companies who can help me arrange job interviews in Calgary?

Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Crash7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there any companies who can help me arrange job interviews in Calgary?

I am looking to make the move from the UK to Calgary. As appose to wait for the PR route I hope to enter under the TWP route. Which means getting a job prior.
Having checked all the relevant web-sites I fall into the correct categories of the skills that are required in Alberta and score high enough on the points test.

Could anyone tell me if there is a company or someone I could contact in regards to helping me get a lot of job interviews in a short space of time?

I would ideally like to visit Calgary for a two week recce and while I am there look to attend lots and lots of job interviews with the hope of securing an offer.

Any help hugely appreciated
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are there any companies who can help me arrange job interviews in Calgary?

Hi,

Have you considered going along to one of the Expo's? You do not say where you are living in the UK, but there is one coming up this weekend in Leeds, with another in London shortly afterwards... if you Google it there is also a link to a site called something like Canjobs, or similar, and you can post your resume on there and it is connected to loads of employers. If you put in the covering letter that you are coming over to do a recce you should get some luck. The Expo seems to be a really good route though.

Good luck
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:14 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are there any companies who can help me arrange job interviews in Calgary?

It would depend on your skills

There is a few that come to mind that help you get the job etc, but remember that these companys charge a price for there service.

The two that i have heard of is staffix and atkins west, we have met atkins, but never used them.
Hope that helps
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Crash7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info! I plan to visit the Leeds Expo this weekend its a 4 1/2 hour drive for me but I cant make the closer London show due to a wedding :-( if it bears fruit it will be well worth the travelling!

I dont mind having to pay someone for there services, so keep the suggestions coming I would rather do this and pack in loads of interview while doing a recce then just travelling to Calgary for one or two!

thanks again
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

njb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Crash7
I am looking to make the move from the UK to Calgary. As appose to wait for the PR route I hope to enter under the TWP route. Which means getting a job prior.
Having checked all the relevant web-sites I fall into the correct categories of the skills that are required in Alberta and score high enough on the points test.

Could anyone tell me if there is a company or someone I could contact in regards to helping me get a lot of job interviews in a short space of time?

I would ideally like to visit Calgary for a two week recce and while I am there look to attend lots and lots of job interviews with the hope of securing an offer.

Any help hugely appreciated
try looking at www.first-cis.com
they are based in Winnipeg but i know they deal with calgary companies
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:13 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crash7
Thanks for the info! I plan to visit the Leeds Expo this weekend its a 4 1/2 hour drive for me but I cant make the closer London show due to a wedding :-( if it bears fruit it will be well worth the travelling!

I dont mind having to pay someone for there services, so keep the suggestions coming I would rather do this and pack in loads of interview while doing a recce then just travelling to Calgary for one or two!

thanks again
I have never been to those emigration shows in the UK. That shouldn't be surprising, since I'm not British.

Some forum members have found them helpful for job hunting, and other forum members have found them helpful only for picking up general information about Canada. Whether or not they're useful for job hunting depends on your occupation and whether or not there are organizations recruiting in the UK for people in your occupation.

But, unless you are in an occupation that is very specifically being targetted by the recruitment drives, you're better off using the approach outlined in the Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities-Canada. I especially recommend that you read the Real Life Examples section of that article.

If you're in the skilled trades, contact Atkins West and do your own research as well.

In most instances, recruitment agencies will not be able to put your name in front of prospective employers if you don't already have authorization to work in Canada. You could arrange meetings with one or two head hunters, just to get a sense of the salaries in your field, the kinds of qualifications and experience that are required in your field, and so on. But, beyond one or two informational meetings of that kind, I don't think there would be any use in your contacting head hunters (unless you're in the skilled trades, in which case include Atkins West in the mix).

You certainly are on the right track. Lining up as many interviews as possible while you're on a recce trip is an effective approach. Surrey Expat wrote a fabulous Wiki article called Scouting Trip-Canada. In addition to that, there is a Wiki article called Calgary Recce Trip.

And may the saints be praised. The Wiki section of this site was AWOL this past weekend, but it's accessible again (at least it is for me).
x