Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there any Canadian banks that do not charge incoming fund transaction fees?

Is there any Canadian banks that do not charge incoming fund transaction fees?

Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:07 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any Canadian banks that do not charge incoming fund transaction fees?

RBC charged me $15 the first time I transferred over $3000 then when I transferred over $10000 there was no charge?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any Canadian banks that do not charge incoming fund transaction fees?

Originally Posted by Souvy
I had a discussion about this with my banking officer at Scotia just yesterday. I recently made two transfers (by telephone) from Barclays to my Scotia account. I'd instructed Barclays to pay all the charges at their end. I still got stung for two $15 charges at this end. According to the banker, all Canadian banks do this.

Curiously, I get paid by electronic transfer from the UK. Scotia never charges me for that. My employer instructs Barclays to pay all the charges at their end. Whether Scotia is simply not imposing a charge or the charge is being picked up by my employer, I do not know.
I also get charged $15 every time the UK company pays me from Barclays into my ScotiaBank account. They cover all the costs, but it looks like only the costs at the English end get covered. I recently asked them for a check. I deposited it in my ScotiaBank account, but they said they need to hold it for 30(!!!) days. I think I'd rather pay the $15 then.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
I also get charged $15 every time the UK company pays me from Barclays into my ScotiaBank account. They cover all the costs, but it looks like only the costs at the English end get covered. I recently asked them for a check. I deposited it in my ScotiaBank account, but they said they need to hold it for 30(!!!) days. I think I'd rather pay the $15 then.
That would be down to your history with the bank. I don't pay a fee or have any holds on FX cheques with RBC.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
That would be down to your history with the bank. I don't pay a fee or have any holds on FX cheques with RBC.
No holds for me with Scotiabank.

Are you well known to your bank branch? As Aviator says, once you are known (and known not to bounce cheques) they have discretion not to hold, but you are still ultimately responsible if one bounces. Also if the payer is a known reliable source, they usually don't hold. But they can hold cheques until they clear - the more unusual the cheque the more likely it is to be held.

Chat to your tellers - make sure they remember you as a reliable and regular depositor of foreign cheques. I guess this is easier in a small town than a big city.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5

Are you well known to your bank branch? As Aviator says, once you are known (and known not to bounce cheques) they have discretion not to hold, but you are still ultimately responsible if one bounces. Also if the payer is a known reliable source, they usually don't hold. But they can hold cheques until they clear - the more unusual the cheque the more likely it is to be held.

Chat to your tellers - make sure they remember you as a reliable and regular depositor of foreign cheques. I guess this is easier in a small town than a big city.
I think I'm known as the girl says 'hi' to me in the street.

The UK company that pays me is a massive international company with branches worldwide, including Canada.

I guess my bank just doesn't like me!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5

Oddly some of our employees have their pay cheques go through no holds, others have a hold put on it, with the same bank and we have never had a cheque with NSF.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Individual teller hates everyone?!

That's the trouble with discretionary policies - open to different interpretation by different people.

Unusual for pay checks to be regularly held if the paying firm has good history and is well known - maybe get the employees concerned to have a word with the branch supervisor.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Been receiving UK Government pension since 1995 with TD no fee.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
I think I'm known as the girl says 'hi' to me in the street.

The UK company that pays me is a massive international company with branches worldwide, including Canada.

I guess my bank just doesn't like me!
So my last check got cleared in a day. Yay! Looks like they are starting to like me.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I use PC Financial who charge me nothing when I transfer in CAD from abroad.