British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Are there any British lawyers on here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/there-any-british-lawyers-here-853632/)

Edo Mar 1st 2015 5:25 pm

Are there any British lawyers on here?

Hi. I have an issue with my ex employer in the UK. Basically they have made a mistake in processing my final payout after I left. I have tried my best to get it resolved through phone and emails but because fixing the error might get HR into problems with the management since it might appear as gross inefficiency, they have very cleverly found a clause in the employment contract and are trying to interpret that clause to their advantage to cover up for that mistake. However, the wordings of the said clause are very vague and in my opinion do not have any direct bearing upon my situation from the way it is written, so I am struggling to understand if I am being treated fairly. Plus they know that I am in Canada which could be why they are trying to make it harder. The HR is also blocking my access to anyone higher up in the company.

Is there someone on here who can lend me a helping hand please? I just need some help in interpreting the clause properly and some advice on what legal recourse I have to get this matter resolved. We can PM each other at a convenient time with full details. Thanks a lot!

withabix Mar 1st 2015 5:48 pm

Re: Are there any British lawyers on here?

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11580099)
HR is also blocking my access to anyone higher up in the company.

Write a letter addressed to the person you want to get in contact with, or email them.

How much money are we talking about here?

Edo Mar 1st 2015 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 11580111)
Write a letter addressed to the person you want to get in contact with, or email them.

How much money are we talking about here?

I have been emailing HR for the last 8 months and I don't know who else to contact cuz its a big company. And HR plainly refuses to put me in touch with someone from the management.

The amount is just a little under £20,000.

withabix Mar 1st 2015 6:13 pm

That puts it into perspective.

You will have to contact ACAS first, following some new rules about employment disputes that came in a year or so ago.

A Lawyer will probably tell you the same thing.

Edo Mar 1st 2015 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 11580129)
That puts it into perspective.

You will have to contact ACAS first, following some new rules about employment disputes that came in a year or so ago.

A Lawyer will probably tell you the same thing.

Done that last week. They didn't add any value to my case apart from issuing me with an 'early reconciliation certificate'.

Siouxie Mar 2nd 2015 5:36 am

If they are a big company, have you looked on LinkedIn for the company name? It will likely pull up a whole hoard of people that work for them and you may be able to get a relevant managers or directors name from it.

Failing that, you could use one of these websites to find out the directors name, then put a search in google. Company Check | Free Companies House search and download https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company Business Directory - Directory Enquiry Services - 192.com

Additionally, if the company have a website, you should be able to find out who is responsible for, say, sales or marketing etc. or the name of the directors - and there should hopefully be an email address you can use to contact the head of whichever department you need.

:)

colchar Mar 2nd 2015 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11580099)
The HR is also blocking my access to anyone higher up in the company.

How can HR prevent you from calling or emailing someone? Do you not know your former supervisor's contact information? Do you not know anyone else who still works there who could give you someone in management's contact info?

Aviator Mar 2nd 2015 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11580120)
I have been emailing HR for the last 8 months and I don't know who else to contact cuz its a big company. And HR plainly refuses to put me in touch with someone from the management.

The amount is just a little under £20,000.

For that amount it is worth hiring a lawyer without doubt. If you are in the right, hopefully one letter from them should do the trick. I use lawyers for far lesser amounts and so far are ahead of the game. In my view, it would be wholly unwise to do this on your own if they are going to fight you over it. If HR have screwed up, then a lawyer gets involved, someone will have to answer as to why.

Knight Webb - London Employment Lawyers
http://www.partnerslaw.co.uk/

Edo Mar 2nd 2015 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11580751)
How can HR prevent you from calling or emailing someone? Do you not know your former supervisor's contact information? Do you not know anyone else who still works there who could give you someone in management's contact info?

I tried to get it resolved through my supervisor but he said he does not want to get involved since I am not the employee of the company anymore.

Edo Mar 2nd 2015 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11580857)
For that amount it is worth hiring a lawyer without doubt. If you are in the right, hopefully one letter from them should do the trick. I use lawyers for far lesser amounts and so far are ahead of the game. In my view, it would be wholly unwise to do this on your own if they are going to fight you over it. If HR have screwed up, then a lawyer gets involved, someone will have to answer as to why.

Knight Webb - London Employment Lawyers
http://www.partnerslaw.co.uk/

Hi Aviator

I certainly do not have any problem hiring a lawyer. Are the 2 firms that you have suggested reliable or have you dealt with them yourself?

Almost Canadian Mar 2nd 2015 5:04 pm

I suggest you call Duncan Marsden. He is in Calgary and is a dual qualified employment lawyer. This is a link to a website that provides his contact details: Duncan Marsden's contact details

He and I wrote our transfer exams at the same time.

Edo Mar 2nd 2015 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11580909)
I suggest you call Duncan Marsden. He is in Calgary and is a dual qualified employment lawyer. This is a link to a website that provides his contact details: Duncan Marsden's contact details

Thank you so much for this recommendation. It would actually make it so easy for me to deal with a lawyer who is based in Canada. Would you like me to tell him that I came through a referral? You can PM me your name if you wish :)

Edo Mar 2nd 2015 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11580909)

I have spoken to Mr. Marsdan but unfortunately this one does not seem to be working out. Does anyone know any other lawyer who can provide an advice on an employment related matter in the UK?

I really appreciate the replies that I have received so far.

Edo Mar 5th 2015 5:48 pm

Does anyone know of an employment lawyer in/from the UK that they have personally dealt with or know someone who can recommend one? I could also do with a website recommendation that lists employment lawyers with some sort of rating as that is my only way to find a good lawyer since I am not in the UK myself right now.

Thanks a lot.

SchnookoLoly Mar 5th 2015 5:50 pm

Might try posting in the Moving Back to the UK section, you probably will get some people answering who are based in the UK and have a bit more local knowledge.

Sorry that doesn't help more! :(