Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

...and then what?

...and then what?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ...and then what?

Well they didn't go back for obvious reasons - they couldn't afford the cost of travelling back home for starters...then there's the fact that there was nothing for them to go back to. The 60s/70s/80s and 2010 = not comparing like with like.

But you've a point in that people were probably a lot tougher back then in general.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:36 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

jjanj, touched the spot for me, summed up quite well what I felt, thanks.

....and then what? Peace, happiness and a sense of belonging. I not only sincerely hope, but am going to do everything with my own mindset to ensure that that is the outcome.

I have been too much of a gypsy, but a very happy one, four countries, four different cultures, and four different languages and now many years on, groups of friends from everywhere.

But.... the last move! The settling down move? The I'm a grown up and a Mummy move! That's been a disaster. Lovely house, big river frontage, few financial problems, till just recently. .The BEST kid that was ever born, and on most days a reasonably super husband! I'm sometimes not too bad as a wife either.

I should never have moved to France. I've 'cracked' various cultures and made lifelong friends, but Everything is harder in France. Ten years on and I have good friends, but never a sense of belonging, we never fit in. Our son (aged 9) is sanguine about it, and shrugs off the low level, but constant drip feed bullying, but I can't cope anymore.

Canada will bring us together as a family. We will be able to do things socially, and people won't stare at us, when they realise that I'm English. We won't be constantly instantly judged, out of ignorance, and found to be wanting. My husband (Canadian) might have a chance of making friends who want to be friends and don't pretend they can't understand his accent.

Canada is a great big dream at the present, and one that I had never thought I'd want as a dream. I've visited lots of times to see family in BC and Calgary, but never imagined living there. Am I running away? Quite probably, but I just cannot take an 11th year of France. I'm Franced out now!

I have hung my star on Canada's tree. When I get there, I shall live, I shall fit in, and I will make friends! Life is going to be fantastic, as failure at this particular juncture is by no means possible. There have been aspects of the Canadian psyche, as I have experienced it over the years, that I haven't always appreciated, but you watch I'm going to start loving it now! I will love NB, and it's going to love me right back! Hopefully!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:15 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
There was a point?
Shamefully, yes

It was a quiet poke at the person i quoted, for their hypocrisy.

I know i know, i'll grab my coat and slink off down to the naughty step for my crapness.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:33 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

And then what?

Well life my dear

Start work on that novel you sometimes dream about, write some poetry, write a play script/ movie script, take up those piano/french/spanish/guitar/bongo lessons you always wanted or that business opportunity you always thought about or trying to get into an industry that more suits you.

Life without passion is not a life worth living
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
What about all the thousands upon thousands of Brit families who emigrated to Canada, Oz, and NZ in the 60's, 70"s and 80's with no prior recce trip?
I bet you any money you like hardly any of them came back. If they didn't like their new country it was tough shit.

People these days are soft.
Certain amount of truth in that statement.

I would be one of those who arrived in the 60's.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Shamefully, yes

It was a quiet poke at the person i quoted, for their hypocrisy.

I know i know, i'll grab my coat and slink off down to the naughty step for my crapness.

You should slink down it! Hypocrisy is it? I think you realise there's a bit of a difference between people who head across the pond for an adventure with no commitments and those who uproot themselves, family etc to make a permanent move.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zercher
I'm pretty much underwhelmed and bemused at all the reports/comments that I read and heard about how amazing and beautiful Vancouver is.
I reckon anyone contemplating a move abroad should be doing it for the sheer love of the destination country
*cough*
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

*cough*
Sounds nasty that.

Still talking about people making a permanent move like, as in emigrating.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:02 pm
Beep

Sounds nasty that.

Still talking about people making a permanent move like, as in emigrating.
You mention "contemplating", not "emigrating".

In one sentence you're underwhelmed by the area you contemplated, yet you advise people to only contemplate a move to a country for the sheer love of it.

You can see how it could be confusing.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:11 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

You mention "contemplating", not "emigrating".

In one sentence you're underwhelmed by the area you contemplated, yet you advise people to only contemplate a move to a country for the sheer love of it.

You can see how it could be confusing.
Step.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjanj

Before anyone tries to ask me what the point of all the moving around is especially knowing that I will probably move again, don't bother because unless you are one of the aforementioned group of poor unfortunate lost souls who will probably come back as ghosts, you probably won't understand especially if you feel that you have found your own niche in life.
I loved your reply, thank you so much. It is great to read about somebody so like myself, although perhaps unlike you I wander but hope that I shall settle. I feel that another move after Canada would probably mean leaving at least 2 of my 4 boys behind and as a mother I think that would probably be enough to keep me there!

It has been great to read everybody's replies as it would appear that there have been many ways to interpret what I initially posted...
I love the idea of embracing my new life by doing exactly what I have dreamt of doing, such as writing that book I've been thinking about for example.
I want to settle in my new home but like jjanj said there are some of us who are gypsies, or wanderers and I could see myself getting a new itch in 7 years time which seems to be the length of time I stay anywhere!!

But for now I shall be putting all my energy into creating a loving home for my family and believing that Canada will be my forever home.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 13 years in France as part of my globe trotting and at the end wanted to go back to the UK, as you said "all Franced out" but if Canada still leaves me searching France would become a definite possibility again!! Good luck with your search
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:13 am
Beep

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Step.
Yes Mrs Patterson
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:07 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I have always had two dreams. To live in Canada and to have a holiday hideaway in Key West Florida. I knew that I couldnt live in KW for a variety of reasons, the visa, the constant heat etc etc but to have my second home in paradise (as its known by many) will still be my dream.
So, once we are settled in Canada and living that dream, the KW holiday home will always be there, tucked away for when I have more money