Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

...and then what?

...and then what?

Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default ...and then what?

So you've been focusing on your move to Canada for anything up to 5 years or so. You at last made it over the Atlantic and you are all settled into your new home, job and life...

Do you then wonder sometimes "what's next?"? As though you've lost focus?

Basically what do you all dream about once you're settled into your new lives in Canada?

(For all those sceptics out there, I have lived in 3 different countries over my life so I don't want to hear any "oh well you'd better not come here" type comments!!)

I'm just curious to know where you have shifted your dreams to...
Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...and then what?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
So you've been focusing on your move to Canada for anything up to 5 years or so. You at last made it over the Atlantic and you are all settled into your new home, job and life...

Basically what do you all dream about once you're settled into your new lives in Canada?

(For all those sceptics out there, I have lived in 3 different countries over my life so I don't want to hear any "oh well you'd better not come here" type comments!!)

Visiting my children in the countries to which they have emigrated from Canada.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Focus on living the dream, surely?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:13 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Start moaning about everything being different and how much you hate:

1. The lack of (insert something - usually cheese);
2. That the people are (insert something the people do that really annoys you);
3. People thinking your are Australian - this does not apply if you actually ARE Australian;
4. Paying for (insert something you now have to pay for that you never did before - receiving text messages, using an ATM)
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same shit, only with a different shovel. Honestly it really is.

Yes you may get a bigger house, more access to outdoor pursuits and possibly a snowmobile thrown in, but at the end of the day you still work, pay bills and carry on family life much the same as you did in the UK.

The dream for me now is my retirement.....20 years to dream.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I now dream of being able to afford to be a Snowbird, something I never knew I wanted to be
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Well if you have found a great job already, then why not focus on a successful career in your field?

Otherwise, focus on learning new hobbies, skills, making new friends, and enjoying the Canadian experience, it's why you are there after all.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:25 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

as Flyingscotties and the others say embrace the differences good and bad.

We made good expat and Canadian friends who encouraged us to take part in all the outdoor sports. Taught us to bleed green (yes we are Riders fans). Invited us to sample perogies

You have to get out there and let them know you are here and happy to join in. Good luck
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, 2 years into my life in Canada this is something I'm having a hard time with. Now I've achieved my dream it sort of feels like I don't 'want' anything anymore. I need a new motivator but haven't really found one yet. I'm about to turn 30 and can't really identify any goals for the next decade. It's strange. I'm hoping my impending first trip back to England will help provide some perspective.

All the best with your move
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Danny B
It's the same shit, only with a different shovel. Honestly it really is.

Yes you may get a bigger house, more access to outdoor pursuits and possibly a snowmobile thrown in, but at the end of the day you still work, pay bills and carry on family life much the same as you did in the UK.

The dream for me now is my retirement.....20 years to dream.
I'm always amazed when people say stuff like 'same shit, different shovel'....is that what your life is really about?!

I reckon anyone contemplating a move abroad should be doing it for the sheer love of the destination country. If it's to 'fill a void' or to look for a 'new challenge' etc I reckon think again...
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zercher
I'm always amazed when people say stuff like 'same shit, different shovel'....is that what your life is really about?!
In terms of countries, yes, life wouldn't be very different in the UK, the US or Australia. Rural India or Antartica, they'd be different.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbd33
In terms of countries, yes, life wouldn't be very different in the UK, the US or Australia. Rural India or Antartica, they'd be different.
What I'm saying really is that I think it's sad that people reduce their lives to that phrase....plus I reckon living somewhere like Birmingham or some industrial rainy city in northern England; or somewhere like Limerick, Ireland (I'm from Ireland) is a tad different to living in New York, LA or Sydney.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What I'm saying really is that I think it's sad that people reduce their lives to that phrase....plus I reckon living somewhere like Birmingham or some industrial rainy city in northern England; or somewhere like Limerick, Ireland (I'm from Ireland) is a tad different to living in New York, LA or Sydney.
Limerick I don't know but I know a lot of north American cities quite well and I'd say that they all support a few lifestyles well enough. All have their relentless suburbs with their chain stores, all have the "funky" district, Queen West in Toronto, the flats in Cleveland, the Village in NYC, many have an expensive historical section, such as the gaslight district of Cincinnati, or, well you get the idea. People slot themselves into suburbia or faux bohemianism or yuppie condo living, few live in any way not anticipated by developers and not analyzed at conferences of developers from across the continent. It's not only the same shit but the same shit planned by someone else.

Signed,

Another Mr. Ordinary.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:47 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear you. Many things about my life are now very different. I think what people mean is that the mechanics of life continue regardless of location, you work, you eat, you sleep and you function in daily life as before. The rest is what you make of it.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
is the name of your town for real?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.