Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thats It I think?

Thats It I think?

Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Default Re: Thats It I think?

Originally Posted by pthom
They weren't always so friendly, I remember the days when shops would close early on a Saturday when there was a home game. Didn't want the football yobs smashing the windows and any other violence they could think of.
Hmmm yes but that could apply to ALL football clubs of days gone by, not exclusive to Wolves
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooooooooooooooooh. Pissed up people rioting in Canada shocker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17422582

Those darn kids
Old Mar 19th 2012, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I would consider myself to be above average streetwise. I had a tough upbringing and I've lived in some "interesting" parts of Belfast, Manchester and London. I also visited many "interesting" parts of other UK cities. Whenever I'm encountered a supposedly "bad" area in Canada, I could never understand what all the fuss was about. They always seemed very tame in comparison to some of the areas I'd been in in the UK. Maybe I'm just tougher than average.
You're right, the "bad" areas in Canada don't seem that bad, but then again, I never encountered much in the way of violence in similar places in the UK. Plymouth's Union Street, although much maligned, was just very noisy and litter strewn; a bit like Calgary's 17th Avenue actually! Although, when I was over there last summer, it just looked a bit sad!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

I am glad the original poster left their rose tinted glasses at home and none of the rose tinted brigade here were around to lend them some,they came they saw and they did not like.Better than moving here wasting thousands and then going home disapointed and broke
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Agreed. Work life balance or whatever seems more acceptable in Van in my really limited experience, ha. I just booked a month long holiday and I haven't even been with my company a year yet. I have heard before Toronto is more workworkwork in culture than Van but on the flipside, there's more opportunities there and allegedly more $$$.

What about Alberta or Sk?
is that paid vacation or unpaid???? I know lots who take extra time off but it is unpaid
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I would consider myself to be above average streetwise. I had a tough upbringing and I've lived in some "interesting" parts of Belfast, Manchester and London. I also visited many "interesting" parts of other UK cities. Whenever I'm encountered a supposedly "bad" area in Canada, I could never understand what all the fuss was about. They always seemed very tame in comparison to some of the areas I'd been in in the UK. Maybe I'm just tougher than average.
Without sounding like the rose tinted glasses brigade.. I do agree with this. Admittedley, Ive not spent any great time in renowned bad areas of Canada, (except downtown eastside vancouver.) the overall feeling is definitely a tad safer than parts of Glasgow..

But maybe that's just due to the fact Im aware of where to be on my guard here. A case of ignorance is bliss!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:03 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Without sounding like the rose tinted glasses brigade.. I do agree with this. Admittedley, Ive not spent any great time in renowned bad areas of Canada, (except downtown eastside vancouver.) the overall feeling is definitely a tad safer than parts of Glasgow..

But maybe that's just due to the fact Im aware of where to be on my guard here. A case of ignorance is bliss!
Nice to see that you will continue to contribute to the forum, totally unrelated to the thread I know, just thought it was worth mentioning.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Nice to see that you will continue to contribute to the forum, totally unrelated to the thread I know, just thought it was worth mentioning.
Told you I would find it hard forgetting this emigrating to Canada malarky completely!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:20 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Told you I would find it hard forgetting this emigrating to Canada malarky completely!
But, not changed your mind yet then? I fully understand where you are coming from and respect your balanced choice.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:28 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think here in a 'normal' life you are less likely to run across the bad areas
Most I've run across due to work (using cheap contract labour) or getting a GPS shortcut
The Indian reserves however are the byproduct of people my wife met whilst she was teaching on the reserve...
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think here in a 'normal' life you are less likely to run across the bad areas
Most I've run across due to work (using cheap contract labour) or getting a GPS shortcut
The Indian reserves however are the byproduct of people my wife met whilst she was teaching on the reserve...
Tell me more about the reserves Mike, they seem to be around all the major metropolis, do the folk there not just get on with their lives, have they got specific needs? the few vibes I pick up on here seem to indicate that they do not mix and have problems finding work, would you say that is typical or do they intergrate with us immigrants or vice versa?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think here in a 'normal' life you are less likely to run across the bad areas.
Here in UK ? I'm not really sure what you mean by 'normal' life, but my opinion, through experiences of growing up in outskirts of glasgow. (and reasons for looking at emigrating). Is that there is more bad areas than good. Even the affluent parts, they are pretty much all right next to a bad one.

I'm not daft enough to think Canadian cities/suburbs have no problems.. but surely its less rundown (overall) than here?

I know I've decided to stay here for the time being... but there you go

(I know this might be going off topic a bit)
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

through experiences of growing up in outskirts of glasgow.
Chateau lait?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Chateau lait?
Lovely part of the world!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:47 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Here in UK ? I'm not really sure what you mean by 'normal' life, but my opinion, through experiences of growing up in outskirts of glasgow. (and reasons for looking at emigrating). Is that there is more bad areas than good. Even the affluent parts, they are pretty much all right next to a bad one.

I'm not daft enough to think Canadian cities/suburbs have no problems.. but surely its less rundown (overall) than here?

I know I've decided to stay here for the time being... but there you go

(I know this might be going off topic a bit)
Here In Canada is easier to avoid the bad areas, they’re not close to the downtown, oddly enough most tend to be on the east side of cities, something to do with location of industry and prevailing winds, due to the way towns and cities are laid out you don't get the same demographic overlaps.
We don’t have all the pubs in the centre of town, with our infrastructure being newer these type of places are often located within the regions so people don’t mix..same goes for shopping , grocery shops etc,
But with most of our housing being wood based and with a life expectancy of around 75yrs, it can get really run down fast when it becomes lower class rentals, we have exactly the same issues as the boarded up old brick terraced housing, except its wood and it rots, we have also kept a lot of the tower blocks operating in disrepair which in some parts become vertical ghetto’s..
The real pisser is that if as an immigrant you don’t have enough funds, or you don’t get the good job its these easy to avoid places that can become home, most of those who live there are 1st and 2nd generation immigrants who didn’t have enough Canadian experience to get the good jobs and are working two minimum wage jobs to pay the rent and put food on the table, the poverty trap is worse here than the UK, having said that make the middle classes and I think you’re better off than the UK…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.