Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thats It I think?

Thats It I think?

Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thats It I think?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Toi, dans un samedi d'automne;
Avec un simple baiser à conquis mon coeur,
À changé ma vie d'un ton monotone,
Et me fais vivre le bonheur!
I believe this is a breach of site rule #17. Please read the site rules.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I believe this is a breach of site rule #17. Please read the site rules.
Ooh. Report me. Of course if you could understand it you wouldn't.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh. Report me. Of course if you could understand it you wouldn't.
Very poetic but you know you cant have me regardless of what you did on a Sunday afternoon. I wont kiss and tell how I changed your life.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Toi, dans un samedi d'automne;
Avec un simple baiser à conquis mon coeur,
À changé ma vie d'un ton monotone,
Et me fais vivre le bonheur!
Thee, on an autumn Saturday afternoon;
With a simple kiss have conquered my heart,
Have changed my life from its greyness.
And made me live in happiness!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Very poetic but you know you cant have me regardless of what you did on a Sunday afternoon. I wont kiss and tell how I changed your life.
I was just trying not to be predictable or puerile. You should try it.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 2:51 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
It came across as you saying the UK had bigger social issues than Canada...

Hence us pointing out the big issues in Canada
well, speaking as a copper, i'd say that crime is much the same in either place. However, i have never in 20 years here witnessed the undertones of violence and the mindless assaults to the extent as in the UK.

Last time i was Manchester, i crossed the street to avoid a gang of lads due to a very bad vibe i had. Have never done that in 20 years in Vancouver.

You can spin it all you want, but i will come down to experiences of either place. But i have never, not once felt threatened like i have in the UK. I'd go as far as say that the major centres in the UK feel much less safter than the ones i have been to here, including TO
Old Mar 9th 2012, 2:58 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - much as I love Manchester (went to uni there and lived there 7 years total), it has issues with crime. A friend of mine (a guy who wouldn't hurt a fly) was standing alone at a taxi rank in Piccadilly Gardens one night years ago when he was set upon by a group of drunken yobs for no reason. They beat him to within an inch of his life. Afterwards he suffered from health problems, depression and his career and his life in general went downhill. It took him years to get back on track.

I definitely think there's much more of a yob culture in the UK. You really have to be aware of your surroundings when going out (e.g. to restaurants and pubs). In Canada and the US, I just don't detect the same level of threat and aggression and I am much more relaxed when going out at night. I just haven't seen the same frequency of senseless behaviour here that I witnessed in the UK.
I have very bad memories of growing up in manchester and funnily enough i too was seriously assaulted in pic gardens.

Have to say that im suprised to see someone saying they love Manchester and disliking Vancouver on the same thread, which leaves me scratching my head, wondering what I missed in both places. Other than pubs, Manchester is seriously lacking in my mind...mind they do have this tv show called Coronation Street, which i hear is quite good.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't think we should be so hard on Wolverhampton. At least it manages to make Birmingham seem quite pleasant.

And its inhabitants are very generous in donating unused bricks and bottles to visiting football fans.

When was the last time you went to a Wolves game and experienced this
Wolves are one of the most family friendly clubs in the Premier League
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Other than pubs, Manchester is seriously lacking in my mind...mind they do have this tv show called Coronation Street, which i hear is quite good.
If you watch corrie for too long it starts to feel like Groundhog day.

Pub, cabin, hairdresser, underworld, pub, cabin, hairdresser, under world....Adverts.

Pub, cabin, bookies, underworld, pub, cabin, bookies adverts....

And so on.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marietuluse
[/COLOR]

Not for long they won't be.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
what does the UK have with comparable poverty, crime etc that could be compared to a Canadian native reserve ?
Orchard Park in Hull must come close and parts of Stepney near to the Royal London Hospital are pretty damn scary from my experience. I guess the main difference though is that the reservations are out of the way.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
well, speaking as a copper, i'd say that crime is much the same in either place. However, i have never in 20 years here witnessed the undertones of violence and the mindless assaults to the extent as in the UK.

Last time i was Manchester, i crossed the street to avoid a gang of lads due to a very bad vibe i had. Have never done that in 20 years in Vancouver.

You can spin it all you want, but i will come down to experiences of either place. But i have never, not once felt threatened like i have in the UK. I'd go as far as say that the major centres in the UK feel much less safter than the ones i have been to here, including TO
I would tend to agree with that. I live in what realtors like to call a 'diverse' part of Toronto and I've not had any of the near misses with local hoodlums that I used to have regularly when I lived in East London.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
I would tend to agree with that. I live in what realtors like to call a 'diverse' part of Toronto
Scarborough?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:51 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marietuluse
[/COLOR]

They weren't always so friendly, I remember the days when shops would close early on a Saturday when there was a home game. Didn't want the football yobs smashing the windows and any other violence they could think of.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
I would tend to agree with that. I live in what realtors like to call a 'diverse' part of Toronto and I've not had any of the near misses with local hoodlums that I used to have regularly when I lived in East London.
I would consider myself to be above average streetwise. I had a tough upbringing and I've lived in some "interesting" parts of Belfast, Manchester and London. I also visited many "interesting" parts of other UK cities. Whenever I'm encountered a supposedly "bad" area in Canada, I could never understand what all the fuss was about. They always seemed very tame in comparison to some of the areas I'd been in in the UK. Maybe I'm just tougher than average.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
Not for long they won't be.
I knew someone would say that & unfortunately sad but very true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.