Thanksgiving

Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Is this wierd then?

Mrs G
Not quite sure I understand....you mean its weird because she mixes her xmas cake by hand.......well, it must be some sort of Irish tradition I guess because her grandmother, mom and now my mom always do it.

I guess I'm use to it because it was something I grew up with and helping at xmas time.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:47 pm
manc born and bred

michele is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we had our first thanksgiving , went to friends yesterday for one had those yam things with marshmallow can't say I was too keen, and had our first taste of pumpkin pie which we all liked apart from Natasha but there was chocolate cake too so whe was happy!! Then I did one for the four of us today and we went for a lovely long walk in Nosehill park have had a great day!!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

squidge1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very sad about the incident with the submarine... i have been following the story on the news etc... so sad for his family, well sad for any family when a loved one dies..

I decided i would have my own Thanksgiving dinner here in the UK, ok it wasnt as grand as some of the dinners i have read about on this thread, but then there was only me eating it anyway..lol but the turkey was delicious i have to say... Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving...
Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:52 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Not quite sure I understand....you mean its weird because she mixes her xmas cake by hand.......well, it must be some sort of Irish tradition I guess because her grandmother, mom and now my mom always do it.

I guess I'm use to it because it was something I grew up with and helping at xmas time.
I guess I'm asking if its wierd to home-bake from scratch. You suggested that Christmas cake was even wierder to make from scratch.

I bake everything from scratch. Pumpkin from a tin was a concession that has now gone. We dont do shop bought cake, bread, baps, or any other sort of cake/bread/pancake mix. Its just sort of normal to us to do it that way - but you suggest it might be wierd? So - just asking really. If it is wierd then I'm playing the 'immigrant card'!

Mrs G

Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

hahaha - no I don't think it's weird at all.....but then I grew up with both grannies and my mom making everything from scratch. My polish grannie even made her own polish sausage.I just think it's alot of work. The xmas cake I mentioned takes my mom 2 days to complete and has to recruit my dad to help stir the batter because it's so heavy. But my mom loves to do this type of thing.........so more power to her and all the others that make everything from scratch.

I do some baking but we don't eat alot of desserts, although I do make my own pancake batter and have pancakes with real maple syrup from Ontario,
however I do make all my main dishes from scratch and then freeze them......and surprise....most of the receipes are from my mom.

When my husband/I and the kids visit Ontario this xmas, my mom and I have already set a day aside for nothing but homemade baking with the kids - should be fun.....better her kitchen be a mess than mine hahaha

ps - tell McGrouch that we're all waiting for those pictures!!!!!