Wikiposts

Thanksgiving

Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by iaink
No thanksgiving at all in the UK...well, there is the odd church service, but no big holiday / family get together. Haloween didnt used to be a big deal either, not compared to Guy Fawkes anyway.

Still nice in Ontario anyway, but was a bit cloudy and cooler today. I should get out and take some pics of the fall, before all the leaves are blown off the trees. Its a bit muted this year compared to others, but still pretty in places.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Iain.....please get on that bike and take more pictures.....before it starts to snow and the leaves are gone.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

So - one question - do all the ex-pats like pumpkin pie? I have always liked it, but my sister in England says that they all hate it. I often feel that they hate anything on principal if its American or Canadian! She said she made a pumpking pie from a Delia Smith recipe a few years ago. I read the recipe and it has molasses in it and it looks really dark. I have never seen a recipe over here with molasses.

Also, they thought it was "strange" that I wouldn't buy a pumpkin and make my own. When I said I had a can of pumpkin, she said she preferred to know what she was eating and would make her own. I commented that I did know what I was eating - the ingredients on the can said "pumpkin". As someone else commented - you take hours scooping out the mushy seeds and flesh and after about 3 hours - you have something that is exactly the same as you could have taken out of a can 3 hours ago!!

Does anybody actually do it from scratch?
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:28 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by lizwil98
She said she made a pumpking pie from a Delia Smith recipe a few years ago.
It's foul ... that's the one we tried, it's absolutely awful.

We're planning to try it ... the kids get cranky when they get tinned pumpkin, making it from fresh is a last resort before it gets completely banned.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So - one question - do all the ex-pats like pumpkin pie? I have always liked it, but my sister in England says that they all hate it. I often feel that they hate anything on principal if its American or Canadian! She said she made a pumpking pie from a Delia Smith recipe a few years ago. I read the recipe and it has molasses in it and it looks really dark. I have never seen a recipe over here with molasses.

Also, they thought it was "strange" that I wouldn't buy a pumpkin and make my own. When I said I had a can of pumpkin, she said she preferred to know what she was eating and would make her own. I commented that I did know what I was eating - the ingredients on the can said "pumpkin". As someone else commented - you take hours scooping out the mushy seeds and flesh and after about 3 hours - you have something that is exactly the same as you could have taken out of a can 3 hours ago!!

My mom's orginally from Ireland and she still makes all her pies and cakes (yes, even her xmas cake from hand)....takes hours to do.....she took 3 pumpkin pies to my brother's house for Thanksgiving this year and she told me it took her the entire day before to make them. At least she had done the pastery a few days ahead and froze it......what alot of work......espcially when I absolutely hate pumpkin pie......
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:20 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

Happy Thanksgiving to all the canadians and people in Canada..

the way I cook Yams, and I didn't even know I liked them until a few yrs ago..

peel em

then slice up into chunks.. not even squares, triangles.. looks prettier on the plate.. not small pieces, but not too big either..

chop up leeks or even green onions will do

add lots of garlic

butter

salt and pepper

bake em.. stirring halfway..

delish!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, sounds good, gonna try that this evening

Originally Posted by souls canuck
Happy Thanksgiving to all the canadians and people in Canada..

the way I cook Yams, and I didn't even know I liked them until a few yrs ago..

peel em

then slice up into chunks.. not even squares, triangles.. looks prettier on the plate.. not small pieces, but not too big either..

chop up leeks or even green onions will do

add lots of garlic

butter

salt and pepper

bake em.. stirring halfway..

delish!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:09 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Happy Thanksgiving!

:scared:
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Happy Thanksgiving!

:scared:
And back to you Dan.....how did you spend Thanksgiving - with your family!!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:48 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

In my room.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
In my room.
Well, I guess that's the only logical conclusion that any "self-respecting" anarchist can do.....I suppose.....protest the holiday and all the fun......by staying in their room feeling sorry for themselves!!!!!!! You missed a really good time..........

You're breaking my heart.....where are those violins when someone needs them!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:30 am
Banned

by staying in their room feeling sorry for themselves!!!!!!!
Not at all.. I was writing a research paper...
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:37 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
are you still having that beautiful Indian summer you were describing before?
Woke up this morning to see a huge chinook arch in the sky to the south ... it's been a wonderful day ... blue sky, sun, about 20C.

We headed to Heritage Park with the rest of Calgary for the afternoon ... I'm just downloading the pictures now.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 12:38 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Woke up this morning to see a huge chinook arch in the sky to the south ... it's been a wonderful day ... blue sky, sun, about 20C.

We headed to Heritage Park with the rest of Calgary for the afternoon ... I'm just downloading the pictures now.
There will be a small delay on any photos from that trip. I didnt know the photos were being downloaded and told son number two (6years old) he could use the PC. He cancelled the download partway through - Mr G was very pleased!

Mrs G

Old Oct 11th 2004, 12:52 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
....yes, even her xmas cake from hand....
Is this wierd then?

Mrs G

Old Oct 11th 2004, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

You guys are so....lucky....I was really expecting to see snow on the ground with those last pictures.......

We've had about 2 hours of sun for 2 days now.....most days cloudy, cold and really foggy.......but the strange thing is that my raspberries and strawberries are still producing.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.