Wikiposts

Thanksgiving

Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:30 pm
Glaswegian

Default Thanksgiving

Well, it's Thanksgiving ... we've done our usual and observed it as outsiders ... to me it looks like a practice run for Christmas ... roast turkey dinner, family visiting, Disneytime on TV ... but no gifts, no tree and no wild office parties.

I've just got to figure out a way to cook yams ... as far as I can tell the standard way is cook them like squash ... boil or bake, then mash, serve with brown sugar & butter ... tastes better that it sounds ... although I've got to admit that we'll stop short of adding mini marshmallows, just too weird for words.

The good thing about Thanksgiving is it's a great excuse for a walk in Fish Creek park

Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Well, it's Thanksgiving ... we've done our usual and observed it as outsiders ... to me it looks like a practice run for Christmas ... roast turkey dinner, family visiting, Disneytime on TV ... but no gifts, no tree and no wild office parties.

I've just got to figure out a way to cook yams ... as far as I can tell the standard way is cook them like squash ... boil or bake, then mash, serve with brown sugar & butter ... tastes better that it sounds ... although I've got to admit that we'll stop short of adding mini marshmallows, just too weird for words.

The good thing about Thanksgiving is it's a great excuse for a walk in Fish Creek park
Happy thanksgiving to McGrouch, Mrs. G. and the boys....have a good one
Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:42 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Happy Thanksgiving to you too ... I've added a couple of photo's of Fish Creek:
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s....php?photo=692

Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:48 pm
Glaswegian

So what do you do at Thanksgiving over in BC - we presumed it would be the same Canada wide - but now we are thinking perhaps not?

Mrs G

Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

although I am not there, happy thanksgiving to you all.
why look at it as an outsider? your the modern day immigrant heh.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:03 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Brodel
why look at it as an outsider?
It's like arriving in a western country from an Islamic one and trying to understand Christmas based on what they sell in the local supermarket ... we don't have family here to explain it to us, so we're watching it from the outside.

Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I was told by the wife that its thanksgiving for the harvest rather than safe passage across the ocean for the original immigrant hordes. Dont know if its true, but I'm not arguing with the OH! We'll have a small celebration tomorrow, but its not the same without a big extended family to gather together. Might squeeze a round of golf in too, could be one of the last this year

Sweet Potatos...I just cook them like a baked potato, but they dont take as long..cover them in butter when theyre done. mmmmm. Pumpkin Pie is another thing that tastes way better than it sounds!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:13 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
Pumpkin Pie is another thing that tastes way better than it sounds!
I remember trying a UK recipe for pumpkin pie ... it was nothing like the real thing!!

Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what do you do at Thanksgiving over in BC - we presumed it would be the same Canada wide - but now we are thinking perhaps not?

Mrs G
Hi there - we miss talking to you both - busy time for everyone I guess.

We did pretty much the same as your family. We got together with a couple of families in the neighbourhood with kids and had a pot-luck lunch (where everyone brings some food)....lots of turkey, yams, mashed potatoes, vegetables and more desserts than I have ever seen...I'm sure I gained 5 pounds in one day.....plus of course some wine, beer, etc. There were 10 of us with all the kids......and we went around the table and everyone said what they were thankful for......my little girl...... thankful that there are SO many desserts to try.......

We then took all the kids to the beach to let them run of all that food and sugar before bed time. This was the first day we've had 2 hours of sunshine in 2 weeks after rain, rain and more rain and terrible fog.......are you still having that beautiful Indian summer you were describing before? It sure looks like it with you wonderful pictures......I was truly expecting snow.

Take care.....
Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's like arriving in a western country from an Islamic one and trying to understand Christmas based on what they sell in the local supermarket ... we don't have family here to explain it to us, so we're watching it from the outside.
Sorry.....you don't celebrate Thanksgivingving in Glasgow or is this throughout all of the UK?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No thanksgiving at all in the UK...well, there is the odd church service, but no big holiday / family get together. Haloween didnt used to be a big deal either, not compared to Guy Fawkes anyway.

Still nice in Ontario anyway, but was a bit cloudy and cooler today. I should get out and take some pics of the fall, before all the leaves are blown off the trees. Its a bit muted this year compared to others, but still pretty in places.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:33 pm
Glaswegian

Sorry.....you don't celebrate Thanksgivingving in Glasgow or is this throughout all of the UK?
Harvest Festival is a church celebration, most of the population don't celebrate it.

Halloween was big in Scotland when I was a kid, but so was Guy Fawkes night ... neither were very big in Leicester ... I still remember my first Hogmanay (New Year) in Leicester ... it's a non-event.

Thanksgiving is a new one for us Brits ... like I said, it's a little bit like Christmas. I even saw Thanksgiving crackers in a local supermarket!! I sort of understand why Christmas has become the commercial mess it has in North America ... you have Thanksgiving when the family get together.

Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

I had the yams with mini marshmallow thingy. Way too sweet for my liking!!! My husband spent the day "welcoming" his friends body home from the Uk. Some Thanksgiving for us, my first one here, but hope you had a good one anyway.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukjo
I had the yams with mini marshmallow thingy. Way too sweet for my liking!!! My husband spent the day "welcoming" his friends body home from the Uk. Some Thanksgiving for us, my first one here, but hope you had a good one anyway.
Was this "body'' of the Canadian killed on the submarine off Ireland....saw part of the ceremony today......very very sad....with a beautiful family left behind.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Was this "body'' of the Canadian killed on the submarine off Ireland....saw part of the ceremony today......very very sad....with a beautiful family left behind.
Yep that's the one. Atmosphere here isn't very good at the moment whether you are military or not. Has hit Halifax very hard. Thoughts are with Chris's family and what a beautiful, brave family they are. Brings it home to all us submariner families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.