Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thanks for Advice with Dogs

Wikiposts

Thanks for Advice with Dogs

Old May 6th 2005, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default Thanks for Advice with Dogs

Hi All,

can I just say thanks to everyone who has given me advice about taking my dog to Canada. Sadly today I had to make the decision to have my Labrador put to sleep. She was failing in her illness and was peacefully put to sleep at home in my arms. I thank everyone who adviced me about all the info with taking her to Canada, especailly Tiaribbon. Sorry it's not a very postive post but she was part of the family and was very much coming with us uptill this week.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanks for Advice with Dogs

Oh Wendy,
I am so very sorry to hear you sad news!

Dogs become a part of the family and leave such a hole when they leave us.

Thinking about you.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:50 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi All,

can I just say thanks to everyone who has given me advice about taking my dog to Canada. Sadly today I had to make the decision to have my Labrador put to sleep. She was failing in her illness and was peacefully put to sleep at home in my arms. I thank everyone who adviced me about all the info with taking her to Canada, especailly Tiaribbon. Sorry it's not a very postive post but she was part of the family and was very much coming with us uptill this week.
So sorry Wendy

Your posts are either full of great news or stinky stuff.
Maybe a new hound when you get your new home?

You could pet Jamie you know
Anyway take care of yourselves. Tim
Old May 6th 2005, 9:05 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly today I had to make the decision to have my Labrador put to sleep. She was failing in her illness and was peacefully put to sleep at home in my arms.
So sorry wensamjam but what a loving way for a dog to die.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

So sorry to hear that Wendy. I've had a dog die in my arms too and I know how heartbreaking it is - its losing a member of the family.
Old May 6th 2005, 1:10 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Aww Wendy I am so sorry to read this. It is gut-wrenching when this happens. They really are a large part of your family and this is always the saddest part of animal ownership. At least we do still have that one last gift available to us and allow them to go to a better place with dignity.

So very sorry.
Tia x
Old May 6th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Aww Wendy I am so sorry to read this. It is gut-wrenching when this happens. They really are a large part of your family and this is always the saddest part of animal ownership. At least we do still have that one last gift available to us and allow them to go to a better place with dignity.

So very sorry.
Tia x

I started to cry when I read this thread as we too are faced with the very same dilemma. Our loving old dog is 14+. Sam has been with us since he was 8 weeks old. I keep putting off the visit to the vet's, knowing in my heart of hearts what the outcome will be.

My heart goes out to you. I am sure your dog had a very happy life... It's just hard letting go!

With respect

Bombards x
Old May 6th 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Really sorry to hear this news. We know exactly how you are feeling. We lost our Springer, Becky, last year after a long illness. She was 15 years old and such a gutsy little character right up until the end, when she was finally put to sleep because she just could not go on any longer. Just before the end came she just lay down and looked at us to say "I have had enough now" In the final two years of her life, she had a couple of strokes and then developed Cushings Disease. She was on 3 to 4 pills a day which cost us an absolute fortune, but you find the money whatever.

Some people may think we were cruel keeping her alive as long as we did, but we knew our dog and she wanted to fight all the way and really enjoyed her last birthday and christmas, when we gave her a little party and a full Christmas dinner. We still miss her and have only just started to think about getting another dog, which we will very soon. We have a photo on the computer of her receiving her Christmas presents, but I have not yet worked out how you paste, or attach them to this site.

Last edited by Gray C; May 6th 2005 at 9:19 pm.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gray C
Really sorry to hear this news. We know exactly how you are feeling. We lost our Springer, Becky, last year after a long illness. she was 15 years old and such a gutsy little character right up until the end, when she was finally put to sleep because she just could not go on any longer. Just before the end came she just lay down and looked at us to say "I have had enough now" In the final two years of her life, she had a couple of strokes and then developed Cushings Disease. She was on 3 to 4 pills a day which cost us an absolute fortune, but you find the money whatever.

Some people may think we were cruel keeping her alive as long as we did, but we knew our dog and she wanted to fight all the way and really enjoyed her last birthday and christmas, when we gave her a little party and a full Christmas dinner. We still miss her and have only just started to think about getting another dog, which we will very soon. We have a photo on the computer of her receiving her Christmas presents, but I have not yet worked out how you paste, or attach them to this site.
Sadly my 14+ year old jack russel has just been diagnosed with cushings disease id never heard of it in dogs untill just last week, did the tablets make a big diff to your dogs life, and how old was she when she was diagnosed?
So sorry to hear about your dog Wendy xx
Old May 6th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carrieann
Sadly my 14+ year old jack russel has just been diagnosed with cushings disease id never heard of it in dogs untill just last week, did the tablets make a big diff to your dogs life, and how old was she when she was diagnosed?
So sorry to hear about your dog Wendy xx
Sorry to hear your dog has been diagnosed with Cushings. Becky would have been about 13 when she was diagnosed. Without the pills she would probably not have lived much longer, so we were lucky to have her for another two years. Before she was diagnosed, we could not work out why she was drinking so much water and looking really sorry for herself. We thought it may have been something to do with her stroke, or had developed Diabetes. We have a very good vet and he diagnosed her condition straight away and almost immediately she showed a marked improvement and coped with her illness really well right until she died. We were told it would kill her eventually, but in the end, when she died, it was just from old age and not the Cushings that got her.

Last edited by Gray C; May 6th 2005 at 9:20 pm.
Old May 7th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

So Sorry to hear about your dog Wendy

Rosie
Old May 7th 2005, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Awww Wendy I am soooo very sorry to hear your news I had hope you would tell she was getting better. You made the right decision, and she had a happy life...but it sure leaves a big hole in the heart.
Thinking of you all
Old May 7th 2005, 4:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy!...... That IS sad news, I do so feel for you

I suppose it puts an end to a dilemma though; ....whether to put a beloved old pet through that crated journey. Our Kes (Border Collie) is 12 this summer, and tho in good health is increasingly nervous ... I am quite anxious for her, but the family couldn't think of having her re-homed, so I guess we bring her with us!

Rose
Old May 7th 2005, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear the sad news. I can't imagine how you are managing without her but I hope you start to feel more positive about the future soon.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to haer that Wendy.....

I wish things were different......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.