Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

tesl teacher and elderly care job possibilities in Canada?

tesl teacher and elderly care job possibilities in Canada?

Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

ally_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tesl teacher and elderly care job possibilities in Canada?

Hello everyone,

though I am not British, I am very happy to have found this forum, as I see that many of you give wonderful advice. I hope some of you can help me as well.

Here is my situation. I would like to move and work in Canada for a year under the International Experience Canada. Depending on how that would go I would later come back home to stay or to try to obtain another type of visa. My wish for the one year in Canada is to really get to know the country, the people and the lifestyle while earning enough money to live an average lifestyle making enough money to go by plus a little extra to be able to make the transition back home.

At home I am a teacher of English with experience in teaching children, adults and teenagers. I'm 34, so this is my last chance to apply for IEC. While I do realize that teaching jobs in Canada are rare (it is the same in my home country), and that I can't teach in public schools there without proper Canadian certification, I wonder if it is unrealistic for me to try to find a TESL job there? Would having completed a CELTA course before my arrival to Canada help my chances in getting a job at a language school?
I am very open to working many other jobs while searching for the teaching job... tourism, hospitality industry etc, but to be honest, I lack experience in those fields, because I've been teaching since I was a student! I am willing to learn anything though.

I would move to Canada together with a friend (who also qualifies for IEC) who has worked in UK for a year and a half as a live in carer for most of the time there, and some time in a senior citizen home. She has completed the mandatory training for carers in UK. She would like to do something similar in Canada as well, but not as a live-in. We know about the live in carer Canadian program, but she would like to do the "live-out" if you know what I mean. Are there jobs like that relatively easy to find? Are there any companies/organizations that hire foreign workers for this type of job? Any links or any info on how to go about finding a job like that one, would be much appreciated!!! (We know about the general job websites etc)

As far as where in Canada we would like to go - we're thinking British Columbia (we love to ski! ), but we're open to other places as well, as long as it's a young, vibrant city, as we are quite young at heart still at least

Last edited by ally_canada; Feb 28th 2011 at 8:25 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

ally_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tesl teacher and elderly care job possibilities in Canada?

hm.. no replies? Did I ask something dumb?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Re: tesl teacher and elderly care job possibilities in Canada?

Hi Ally

I'm an ESL teacher in Toronto (from the UK and taught ESL there for several years). The CELTA is useful as it got me a job in a language school.

To teach on most government funded programs, you need to be certified by the accreditation organization for the province you live in, in my case TESL Ontario which is quite difficult to do and you may need to do a TESL course out here to get that.

I'm not sure about the job market in BC but especially in the summer, there are a lot of ESL jobs around- pay not amazing, usually between $18-25 an hour for private language schools.

Check out the Languages Canada website for info.

Hope this helps

Lucy