Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Terms of lease for house in NS

Wikiposts

Terms of lease for house in NS

Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terms of lease for house in NS

Not sure if anyone can help with this. We've been in NS for 2 weeks now (yay!) and we're looking for a long term rental. We found one that we really liked, and we seemed to get on we'll with the landlord, but things have recently become slightly odd. I know that should be reason enough to walk away but we do really like the place.

So the basics are this..
When we met and viewed the place we discussed at some length the fact we were immigrants, recently arrived, and that seemed not a problem. He sent us an application form to complete, which we did. It detailed our situation - no current employment but some income for the UK which will continue and we are both looking to set up businesses here in NS, which we've done a lot of research for (obviously). We also gave character references for him to phone at his request.

However, he's become really jittery about the fact we're immigrants, and thinks we're likely to run back to scotland any time soon because we can't hack it. Given our credentials, and if he spoke to our referees, he'd realise this isn't going to happen.
So he asks what we can do to help ease his concerns.
I say we'd be happy to meet to discuss our plans and so he can get to know us better. I say we have enough savings in the bank to pay 3 years rent never mind 1.
He asks if he could see our bank balance, and would we be willing to pay more than one months rent at a time.

This is where I think things are a little weird. If he's worried about us running off and breaking a 12 month lease, unless he's expecting 12 months rent in one go (which I'm fairly sure he's not) I don't see how 2 or 3 months at a time makes that much difference, we could still run off.

Even odder, he's a lawyer. And one of the first things he told us, strongly, was that he could only ask for half a months rent up front as a deposit because that's the law in NS and we shouldn't let anyone tell us otherwise. So I went online and looked at the guidance for tenants, and it says a landlord can't ask for more than one months rent at a time.
He says because its a fixed term you can make the lease how you want... But that's not what it says as far as I can see. But he's a lawyer, surely he knows that!?

He also claims to have another party interested but would prefer to rent to us. This has been going on a week now... Not sure I believe that story any more (he'd just rent to the other party surely)

So. Should we just walk away? We did really like the place, and he seemed like a nice guy, I don't know if he's just really risk averse and has got a bee in his bonnet about our being immigrants, or whether he's trying to take advantage. To be honest I wouldn't mind paying 2 or 3 months at a time, but not if the law here says he shouldn't be asking. Then it makes me wonder what else he'd do. He's ignoring my suggestions of meeting to discuss things, just focussing on rent payment options.

We do have another accommodation option, it's just not quite as good.
Would love to hear thoughts, and if anyone knows the ins and outs of NS rules around renting that would be helpful too!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terms of lease for house in NS

He is right that he can only ask for 1/2 month rent as damage deposit and then each month up front...

If his only concern is your immigrant status then that might be discrimination... He might want to be careful!

Call his bluff! Tell him you'll pay whatever you want to pay up front then walk away making sure you know he has a way of contacting you...

You have nothing to lose and that might help him decide whether he wants you or not.

From experience as a landlord in Yarmouth there are more tenants than decent rentals so it does play generally in the landlords favour!

Good luck
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

So it's a definite he can't ask for any more than one month? That's what I thought but he seems to think because it would be a 1 year fixed term it could be adjusted to be 2 or 3 or whatever months at a time. He says he'll get back to me... It took him all day to reply in the first place, given he's a lawyer I'm pretty sure it's not difficult to check the rules.
If you have a rental place then I'm guessing you know them!
Re discrimination, that idea amuses me but I suspect he'd just come out with something about us being unemployed, which is true, although from what he's said the concern does seem to be that we'd run back to the uk and he'd have no way to chase us up for payment.

I'm talking myself out of signing anything with this guy lol
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
So it's a definite he can't ask for any more than one month? That's what I thought but he seems to think because it would be a 1 year fixed term it could be adjusted to be 2 or 3 or whatever months at a time. He says he'll get back to me... It took him all day to reply in the first place, given he's a lawyer I'm pretty sure it's not difficult to check the rules.
If you have a rental place then I'm guessing you know them!
Re discrimination, that idea amuses me but I suspect he'd just come out with something about us being unemployed, which is true, although from what he's said the concern does seem to be that we'd run back to the uk and he'd have no way to chase us up for payment.

I'm talking myself out of signing anything with this guy lol
Yes. As landlords OH looked it up and 1/2 month is the max you can ask a tenant as security deposit. So in our case we have two apartments. $600 and $750 per month. What the NS government is saying is that $300 or $375 is enough to protect the landlord from financial loss if the property is damaged! Ludicrous!

I just threw in the bit about discrimination, it tickled me! Lol

As an educated man you would think he would understand the whole immigration thing wouldn't you?

Have you tried driving around looking for houses to rent? When I did that recently in Yarmouth for one of my youth I actually found quite a few houses with for rent boards outside which weren't listed on kijiji. Just remembered! Lol
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh yeah the guy is very definite on the security deposit part, it's just the how many months rent he can ask for at a time part he seems to be trying to bend.

We're meeting if would be neighbours at the other place tomorrow. I think if they seem fine then I'll be sending mr lawyer an email saying we'll sign following the provincial terms or nothing and see what happens
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

My understanding is just one month at a time...

I like the sound of the canning place. As long as the neighbours keep their kids away from your yard it sounds great. If you hear them occasionally it might be nice actually!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know, if he is being so fussy with the financials he might be just as much of a pain if something needs doing during your stay...
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

We've driven around but not seen any rental signs apart from apartments (which I really don't want). Hopefully tomorrow will be the decider re the canning place
I agree about the landlord issue... It doesn't really bode well for the future!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose he's concerned that your resources come from dubious means?

If he knows you're not working but in a position to pay a lot up front, maybe he imagines you're dealing in something/setting up a lab in the building or something?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hehe I doubt it... The house is not big at all for a start - no room for that! Plus we wouldn't come across as that type of person in the slightest, and we gave him 3 character references each to phone, which included a banker, a forensic manager and a university professor amongst others. Plus I provided rental references from the uk and the woman in Vancouver I stayed with for 3 months.

I think he's just looking for problems where none exist... Plus it was after I said we had savings that he suggested we pay more than one month at a time.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

a banker, a forensic manager and a university professor
So that's a financial backer, someone who knows the science and someone who can help cover up the existence of the meth lab

Seriously, it is a bit odd to have second thoughts. If you're a landlord you naturally consider many scenarios. Anything that he's put off by now, should have been things to have been put off by earlier.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 8th 2013 at 2:36 am.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

You, like my other half, have been watching too much breaking bad I think!
Yeah I don't understand the sudden reticence, and he doesn't seem to want to meet to discuss it either because I keep suggesting that and he never responds. I get the feeling we're going to go with accommodation option number 2... Provided that landlord doesn't get cold feet as well!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe I doubt it... The house is not big at all for a start - no room for that! Plus we wouldn't come across as that type of person in the slightest, and we gave him 3 character references each to phone, which included a banker, a forensic manager and a university professor amongst others. Plus I provided rental references from the uk and the woman in Vancouver I stayed with for 3 months.

I think he's just looking for problems where none exist... Plus it was after I said we had savings that he suggested we pay more than one month at a time.
There's the problem. Shady characters that lot.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

I will send you a PM - I am a lawyer in NS
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:39 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

From your initial description this sounds like someone who's not sure if he wants to rent to you and is looking for reasons / excuses to put you off without him being the one responsible for saying No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.