Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Permit or Skilled Worker Permit??

Temporary Work Permit or Skilled Worker Permit??

Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:14 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Question Temporary Work Permit or Skilled Worker Permit??

Im confused!! Is it really a huge risk going over on a TW or are we better off waiting and going on a SWP. Im a little concerned that if we go over on a TWP and we don't then get a SWP that we are taking a massive risk if we get refused a SWP. I'm currently working as a healthcare assistant here so I know that I should have no problem getting a similar job, OH is in the print trade and has been offered a job and also has the job offer in writing which is great so what do you guys think are our chances of getting a SWP. Do we just get over quickly on a TWP then apply for SWP when we get there bearing in mind it can take up to a year for the SWP?????
Help, what would you guys do? I would be grateful for any advice and opinions
Bella
x
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:24 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work Permit or Skilled Worker Permit??

Hi

I think I know where you are coming from re this,

Apply for straight forward TWP for OH, whole family go over then submit PR fast track application once you are there to gain PR.

or,

Apply under SW stream for NS PNP, await nomination, then apply for WP and go over on this whilst the PR application is being processed by London.

Time scale wise, I believe you are looking at very approx 2/3 mths for WP as OH won't need medical for his job.

If you apply under NS SW PNP route you are looking at about 3 mths to hear back confirmation that you have been nominated, however I think the big plus with this option is that you could request a letter from NS immigration supporting your request for a TWP and the employer does not need to go through obtaining an LMO. (sorry forgot to mention if you go straight forward TWP route, the employer will have to gain LMO before you can apply for the TWP, so this will add some time to the process.

In your position I would submit SW application under NS PNP, if you are sure NS is where you want to be long term.

You are not looking at that long to hear back before you can apply for the TWP, you lose the hassle of LMO and you are well into the process then of gaining PR before you leave the UK.

This is just my view, are sure others who have been through process will advise shortly.

Also- changes are afoot with the standard federal process, so future is a bit unknown.

The only thing to check with the NS SW PNP route is that your OH job meets the rquirements of this programme, but knowing what he has been offered, I'm sure this is fine.

ND
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bellanova

Hopefully this will answer your questions.

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Im confused!! Is it really a huge risk going over on a TW

Plenty of people have done this and "risked" everything - it depends how "safe" you want to play it
or are we better off waiting and going on a SWP.

If you wait for a SWPR (which is what I think you mean) the wait can be over 4 years if you havent already put in your application. Are you prepared to wait this long ?

Im a little concerned that if we go over on a TWP and we don't then get a SWP that we are taking a massive risk if we get refused a SWP.

Of course this is a risk but as long as you have no medical problems then there shouldnt be a problem at all I would think. Some Provinces are recruiting healthcare professionals and I think are going through the PNP scheme which does get you a PR visa quicker so that might be something to consider

I'm currently working as a healthcare assistant here so I know that I should have no problem getting a similar job, OH is in the print trade and has been offered a job and also has the job offer in writing which is great so what do you guys think are our chances of getting a SWP. Do we just get over quickly on a TWP then apply for SWP when we get there bearing in mind it can take up to a year for the SWP?????

As I said above coming on a TWP does get you here quicker than a PR visa and from my experience it is worth that risk element for sure. Once you are here and your OH is working either submit a full application or update any existing simplified application with a request for the additional points for the Arranged Employment and if you apply through London UK then your application could very well be fast tracked.

Help, what would you guys do? I would be grateful for any advice and opinions
Bella
x
What would I do ?

Go for the chance and grab it by the b#$%ls

Good Luck

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:41 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gaynor, sorry for the confusion its Provincial Skilled Worker Stream, thanks so much for your advice, although we have been looking at this for months and have been on a reccie its still like a mine field!!
Thanks for your advice its all very valuable
Bella
xx
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hi Gaynor, sorry for the confusion its Provincial Skilled Worker Stream, thanks so much for your advice, although we have been looking at this for months and have been on a reccie its still like a mine field!!
Thanks for your advice its all very valuable
Bella
xx
If you're contemplating moving to Canada via the Provincial Skilled Worker Stream, I'm assuming that's part of Nova Scotia's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

If that is the case, you're not 110% secure, but you are a lot more secure (I believe) than would be the case if you'd applied for a regular TWP. Once applicants have been nominated by a province and are in Canada on work permits, there is a high rate of acceptance in the permanent residence application phase of the process.
x
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you're contemplating moving to Canada via the Provincial Skilled Worker Stream, I'm assuming that's part of Nova Scotia's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

If that is the case, you're not 110% secure, but you are a lot more secure (I believe) than would be the case if you'd applied for a regular TWP. Once applicants have been nominated by a province and are in Canada on work permits, there is a high rate of acceptance in the permanent residence application phase of the process.
x
Did I get this wrong ? Thought the TWP was for a printer for her OH But am a bit brain fagged after my mom for a month
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Did I get this wrong ? Thought the TWP was for a printer for her OH But am a bit brain fagged after my mom for a month
I don't know whether I'm Arthur or Martha either.

Anyway, Bellanova, I recommend that you read what Patsy said in post #14 of the thread entitled When to stop talking and start doing?
We didnt actually act out our dream. After years talking, thinking, literally dreaming, asking advice, filling in forms, talking about it again to ANYONE who had the slightest connection with Canada, i realised it had affected the quality of our life here. For example, i turned around and the kids had grown up!! what happened there?

just do it or dont, but my advice is dont ponder for too long.
I think there is a lot of wisdom in her words.
x
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:19 pm
Nova Scotia

Yes there is alot of wisdom in it which is why we are not going to hang around, our children are 9 and 12 so we don't have time to wait, the house went on the market yesterday and we have already had a bit of interest 2 people have looked and another one tomorrow so we have everything crossed, we are confident that we will be joining all you lovely people very soon and we can't wait. Thanks for all the really helpful advice we will keep you all informed of our progress.
Bella
x