Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temperary Uk -> Canada move and kids schooling

Temperary Uk -> Canada move and kids schooling

Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temperary Uk -> Canada move and kids schooling

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Must admit that I am quite happy with the education my kids have received so far. Not so sure about the latter years though. Too many drugs around here.
There are quite a few drugs here too. Mine are not interested, thankfully. I have one in second year at University, and one in Grade 11. Very happy with the level of education both have received so far, particularly impressed with the work ethic that both have. I think the very relaxed early years really worked for them, giving them time to pursue their sporting interests, giving them a nice balance between physical activity and study.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reesim06
I'm most worried that they'll be returning post KS1 SATs and not long before their KS2 SATs.

We need to ensure they are at the same level of schooling as they would be for when we return to the UK. Reading the Year 1 syllabus, it's things that my elder child can already do, but would be made to do again. He'd be returning after his 9th birthday potentially a year behind with regards to the UK system, 18 months before sitting some fairly important tests.
Aren't the SATs being phased out this year? I don't know, can never keep up with the great experiment which is the British education system. In any case, SAT type tests are more aimed at school standards than pupil learning. As others have said, very little reason to get hung up on it at primary/early secondary stage. It will even out in the end.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 9:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
And that, in a nutshell, is why I am so happy my kids have been educated in the Canadian system. Determining that a child is an under achiever at age 10 is beyond crazy.
SATS here are done just before going to secondary school (my daughter will be nearly 12 when she takes them, not 10), they don't have any impact on her schooling, and there's certainly no pressure - the kids aren't even told they're taking them. They're simply a statistical exercise, but as Shard said, it's stats for the school, not the pupil.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 11:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Of course in that 3 year period they'll have learned different things to their UK peers, but so what? My youngest currently has a tank of 250 Coho Salmon in her classroom that they're rearing. That never happened in London.
Well how cool is that! Can't imagine even many schools elsewhere in Canada have that. Great idea.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
never thought I'd say this but thank (insert fictional deity here) we lived in Scotland! What are the consequences of failing or doing poorly in a test taken at age 10? Serious question.
Agree, sod the results they get in Primary school. Not important at all IMO. My kids have their choice of High school already, it will not effect anything.

Our eldest the other day said (as he is just about to sit SATs in year 6) that these exams affect the rest of your life, and he was stressing!! I was like 'Woooooohhhhh!!! dont worry like this, its not that important.' I pointed out to him several of my ex school friends who were terrible at school are doing better than most and one in particular is a multi millionaire and barely passed a GCSE.

It drives me mad the pressure they put on the children with exams..
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Well how cool is that! Can't imagine even many schools elsewhere in Canada have that. Great idea.
That is very cool. My kids have had tadpoles, ducklings and chicks, but that's as far as it's gone - I shall suggest salmon to their teachers!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
SATS here are done just before going to secondary school (my daughter will be nearly 12 when she takes them, not 10), they don't have any impact on her schooling, and there's certainly no pressure - the kids aren't even told they're taking them. They're simply a statistical exercise, but as Shard said, it's stats for the school, not the pupil.
Wow! I wish our school did that. Our eldest is sitting last years papers under exam conditions currently.. He is very worried about the exams to come..
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
It drives me mad the pressure they put on the children with exams..
If I were you I'd complain to the school if they're putting that much pressure on your kids! That's crazy. Our school just tells the kids they're doing some special work and let them get on with it, no pressure at all. Parents are also not told when the SAT's are taking place, so that they can't pass any anxiety on to the kids.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 11th 2015 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

If I were you I'd complain to the school if they're putting that much pressure on your kids! That's crazy. Our school just tells the kids they're doing some special work and let them get on with it, no pressure at all. Parents are also not told when the SAT's are taking place, so that they can't pass any anxiety on to the kids.
Hmm yes, it seems our school has gone about it the wrong way then! I will see how he goes. Theres no way they should be stressing at this age, they should be enjoying school..
Old Feb 11th 2015, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Hmm yes, it seems our school has gone about it the wrong way then! I will see how he goes. Theres no way they should be stressing at this age, they should be enjoying school..
Absolutely. My two love school, and I know stressing over exams will come but can't imagine it happening at primary school!

I also think that not telling the parents when they're taking place is a good idea, our head teacher said that although parents often mean well, when they do the 'ooh, I've made you a nice breakfast so that you can concentrate' thing it actually stresses the children out more, so now they just don't tell anybody about the SAT's until after they've taken place.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit that I am quite happy with the education my kids have received so far. Not so sure about the latter years though. Too many drugs around here.
It is probably the only way they can get through the mind-numbingly dull social studies curricula.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like your children go to a great school. It does seem as though not all are so lucky. Clearly the message the OP is getting from their school is that the results are vital to the ongoing education of their children. The school my boys went to in the UK ranked very highly and they intended it to stay that way. Children were already streamed by age 8, once designated lower stream, it was tough to get out of it. In my opinion way too young. I am delighted to hear that not all UK schools are going that way.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
It sounds like your children go to a great school. It does seem as though not all are so lucky. Clearly the message the OP is getting from their school is that the results are vital to the ongoing education of their children. The school my boys went to in the UK ranked very highly and they intended it to stay that way. Children were already streamed by age 8, once designated lower stream, it was tough to get out of it. In my opinion way too young. I am delighted to hear that not all UK schools are going that way.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'streamed', do you mean they're put in sets according to ability? If so, then yes, my children's school does that, which just makes sense to me! That happens from the first year. I don't think that primary school is the time for pressure, but I do think that those who are struggling or who are brighter than average should be taught accordingly.

My son is very middle of the road in terms of academic achievement, but enjoys all the sports and other subjects that school offers such as cooking, music, drama etc. My daughter however, is incredibly bright for her age but has no interest at all in any sports or anything that doesn't involve a book! The UK system has worked well for both of them, and they both love school which is the main thing.

My children have been to three primary schools in the UK between them, and all have been pretty much the same in terms of lack of pressure, so I don't think it's unique and I would say that tramps_mate's experience is more unusual.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:52 am
Yo

Streaming and sets are different. At least that's what I've heard, not exactly sure how. I think it's that a stream is long pathway, whereas sets relate to specific classes.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Shard
Streaming and sets are different. At least that's what I've heard, not exactly sure how. I think it's that a stream is long pathway, whereas sets relate to specific classes.
Ah, I see. In which case, my two haven't been streamed in any of their 3 UK schools and I don't know of a primary aged child that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.