British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   televisions!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/televisions-750991/)

luvmeboys Mar 8th 2012 9:29 am

televisions!!!!!

we have a man here who is giving us a quote to take our furniture over, who insists that our television (new flat screen Samsung) wont work in Canada! Does any body know if it will? :fingerscrossed: He says that a transformer makes a constant noise :huh:
we are moving in June:confused:

christmasoompa Mar 8th 2012 9:34 am

Re: televisions!!!!!

This may help - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...f_Goods-Canada

luvmeboys Mar 8th 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9942368)

thanks for the quick reply, I'm right on it

Howefamily Mar 8th 2012 9:44 am

ours works but its to do with the voltage on the back, if its 110 - 220 then its fine and you wont need a transformer. I have heard transformers are horribly noisy but dont have personal experience of them

luvmeboys Mar 8th 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9942385)
ours works but its to do with the voltage on the back, if its 110 - 220 then its fine and you wont need a transformer. I have heard transformers are horribly noisy but dont have personal experience of them

thank you

spaceace Mar 8th 2012 11:23 am

another point to consider is the tuner will not work, so your only option will be to connect it to a cable/satellite/pc....which I'm guessing most ppl do anyway :-)

good luck!

Silverdragon102 Mar 8th 2012 1:03 pm

We use our samsung without the transformer and it works ok, we also have 2 step up/down converters and make no noise at all

spaceace Mar 8th 2012 1:11 pm

yeah, our Lucky Goldstar plasma works fine too.....but it's multi voltage :-)

luvmeboys Mar 8th 2012 1:56 pm

thanks peeps, all a great help x

MillieF Mar 8th 2012 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 9942528)
another point to consider is the tuner will not work, so your only option will be to connect it to a cable/satellite/pc...

I am asking, because I truly don't understand......If I just buy a Canadian television in a shop and plug it in - without a cable, or satellite or (digibox - do they have them?) what channels will I get? What does the Canadian tuner that's in the television get automatically?

JonboyE Mar 8th 2012 3:55 pm

I am not sure about NB but in Vancouver there are a few (CBC English, CBC French, Global, CTV and ? other) channels that broadcast over the air. You usually need a rabbit ears or similar aerial to pick them up.

rivingtonpike Mar 13th 2012 11:18 pm

If you plug your UK TV into a Canadian cable or satellite service it should work fine. Our UK TV still chugs along in the kids' playroom. We run a UK stereo off a transformer. I have never heard a peep out of it in terms of hum. If it's not nailed down - bring it!

luvmeboys Mar 14th 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 9951582)
If you plug your UK TV into a Canadian cable or satellite service it should work fine. Our UK TV still chugs along in the kids' playroom. We run a UK stereo off a transformer. I have never heard a peep out of it in terms of hum. If it's not nailed down - bring it!

great, thanks! Rob wants to know if he should bring the flymo and strimmer etc?

Is there any thing that you left behind that you wish you had brought with you? Any advice is greatly appreciated :huh:

luvmeboys Mar 14th 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9942368)

many thanks x

MikeUK Mar 14th 2012 2:14 pm

The aerial input on your UK TV will be useless over here.
All the other inputs, Composite, RGB, S-video, YPbr, HDMI will work
If you have SCART you'll need to get adpaters in the UK or buy on-line as they are not easily available here..