Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Television industry in Toronto

Television industry in Toronto

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all
Default Re: Television industry in Toronto

Originally Posted by jericho
Wow, and I thought Canadian TV simply entailed taking US and UK TV and charging you more to watch it...
Actually the movie and TV production industry is huge in Toronto. At $1.1 billion spent in 2011, it is third in North America, behind Los Angeles and New York.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Secam
Actually the movie and TV production industry is huge in Toronto. At $1.1 billion spent in 2011, it is third in North America, behind Los Angeles and New York.
When I did my assessment at Humber in february, the teacher there said that 2011 saw twice as many productions in Toronto compared to 2010. I can believe that. With recession people can't afford going out. TV productions are increasing. I'm seeing the same here. More and more jobs are coming available although, short term, project based. Going freelance is pretty much a must.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

smithyutd is an unknown quantity at this point

On this topic, does anybody know anything about the New Media course at Sheridan? What are the best colleges in Ontario for media?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

I know you folk are mainly talking about production and editing, but what about make up artists and whatnot?

my missus has this burning desire to do a course in T.O and get a job working on a set for some film or tv show... is this realistic or fantasy?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

Originally Posted by smithyutd
On this topic, does anybody know anything about the New Media course at Sheridan? What are the best colleges in Ontario for media?
Sheridan does have a good reputation in the media space, however I'm not familiar with their new media program.

An excellent option is the Media, Theory & Production program at the University of Western Ontario. This program has you studying media theory at the university and hands on production and technical skills at Fanshawe college. Your Fanshawe portion of the program can focus on one of four streams; radio, journalism, broadcast TV or interactive media design and production. After 4 years you'll have both a degree from UWO and a diploma from Fanshawe college.

http://www.fims.uwo.ca/acad_programs/undergrad/mtp.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:51 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Secam
I think it's the entertainment industry as a whole at the moment. II'm a rigger and quite honestly could use a rest. Been flat out for about a year now. Good for the bank account, not so good for the family
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by phat-dave
my missus has this burning desire to do a course in T.O and get a job working on a set for some film or tv show... is this realistic or fantasy?
Every time that a camera is used, makeup is required. Here is a course in Toronto that she can take. Make sure you check out the admission requirements.

http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Progra...d%20Props.aspx
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I think it's the entertainment industry as a whole at the moment. II'm a rigger and quite honestly could use a rest. Been flat out for about a year now. Good for the bank account, not so good for the family
I'm afraid of heights and would love to learn how to use fly harness. Climbed enough scaffolding and truss-towers to get up to the followspots, despite it. Damn! I miss being a spot op.