British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Telephone,cable & internet (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/telephone-cable-internet-593914/)

Miss Clinique Feb 25th 2009 10:33 am

Telephone,cable & internet

I would like some advice on telephone, tv, internet ect. Is it best to get a bundle from one company or get individual services. We have sky at home with BT phone a Broardband. We will be living in GTA

audreyrose23 Feb 25th 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Telephone,cable & internet

Hi there,
There aren't so many companies to choose from here, so I guess its easier to decide. We have a Cogeco bundle, just digital phone and internet, it costs $92 a month (i think it is the standard speed internet and the phone = unlimited free calls in USA and Canada, we use a phone card for overseas). You can add TV to that and depends how many channels you want..like with Sky, different packages. There is also Rogers and Bell. Maybe some other compays that folks can suggest here. Just look up the company's websites and see the latest offers, they change all the time, and you get money off for the more services you use, same as UK. I'm not sure if telecommunications are such a good deal here as in UK as there is less competition to push the prices down.

Stophie Feb 25th 2009 7:25 pm

We are in Alberta, so will be slightly different, but we use Vonage for phone (VOIP) which is available everywhere if you have broadband, and is far cheaper than Telus or cable phone, even as part of a bundle.

indigoagain Feb 26th 2009 6:32 am

We have a bundle from Rogers, it's 2 mobile phones, digital cable tv, high speed internet and landline services - we save 20% (I think?) for bundling it all together and so far no major complaints. I like having 1 bill for entertainment/phones etc.

I just wish Canada didn't have a "received call" charge on mobile phones, that is soooo annoying.

Miss Clinique Feb 26th 2009 8:15 am

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate. I will have a look around the various suppliers as you suggest and see what I come up with.

:)

DaveLovesDee Feb 26th 2009 9:55 am

We too are with Vonage. We like the ability to have an extra line with a UK number for family to be able to call us as a local number for them, and being able to view incoming and outgoing call logs online.

As with all VOIP phones, the only downside is having to program our address into the system for you to be routed to the local 911 system if you need it.

Rogers and Bell are your main choices in the GTA usually for phone and internet. Rogers does cable and both Bell and Star Choice do satellite.

Miss Clinique Feb 26th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 7324702)
We too are with Vonage. We like the ability to have an extra line with a UK number for family to be able to call us as a local number for them, and being able to view incoming and outgoing call logs online.

As with all VOIP phones, the only downside is having to program our address into the system for you to be routed to the local 911 system if you need it.

Rogers and Bell are your main choices in the GTA usually for phone and internet. Rogers does cable and both Bell and Star Choice do satellite.

Thanks for your reply Captainhook. I am slightly confused by the different types of phone lines - will the company web sites give me more info on this? We are leaving family in the UK and would like to catch up with them as much as is affordable, I like the sound of your UK line charged at local rate.

Miss Clinique Feb 26th 2009 10:25 am

I have just had a good look around Rogers, wont let me put a bundle together because I dont have an address. Tried to email via their site but it wont let me do that because I dont have a Rogers account number. :(

kazbob Feb 26th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Jacq53 (Post 7324717)
Thanks for your reply Captainhook. I am slightly confused by the different types of phone lines - will the company web sites give me more info on this? We are leaving family in the UK and would like to catch up with them as much as is affordable, I like the sound of your UK line charged at local rate.

Hi Jacq,

Don't forget to get Skype, then you can make free calls home and if you have a webcam then you can see them at the same time as talking. :thumbsup:

Karen

Miss Clinique Feb 26th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by kazbob (Post 7324797)
Hi Jacq,

Don't forget to get Skype, then you can make free calls home and if you have a webcam then you can see them at the same time as talking. :thumbsup:

Karen

Thanks Karen, will definately get skype then I can see my grandchildren and more to the point they can see me!! ;)