Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Teaching secondary!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaching secondary!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching secondary!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by beckybev
Well, that's good for me then.
French teachers are in demand in Ontario, or more specifically in the GTA.

Can you actually speak french with an approximately french accent, i.e. one that a french person might understand? I ask because if so, you'll be way ahead of many (not all) french teachers already here.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Hi Chris
Many thanks for your response. I feel so much better now. I hated the though of putting myself through hell to have to do it again in Canada. I am training to be a French teacher so when I get to Canada if there are no supply posts available I will do some voluntry work in a local school and see if that leads to anything.
We're not making the move until the OH has a job so it won't be a problem if I don't work immediately.
How long have you been in London, Ontario? I spent a summer there in 1986 and even went to school for a week. I loved it!!
Becky
Hi Becky

We've been in London for almost 6 years and I really like it. It's a great place to bring up a family - big enough to have decent facilities but not too big. It's also close to a couple of the great lakes for going to the beach and close enough to Detroit airport to get cheaper flights.

As far as teaching is concerned, having French will be a big bonus and will really help you get a job. Personally, I think you made the right decision to train in the UK. From my experience, it is much more substantial than the training here. I also don't agree that employers favour Canadian trained teachers. It depends alot on your attitude and determination (as well as ability to teach of course!). The principal who initially hired me liked that I was a British trained teacher.

Any experience you get will help you to build your resume whether it is Canadian or not. In fact, I think it could help as you will be able to compare the experiences and gain from that depth of experience. I find that comparing the two systems can make interviews more interesting and help you to stand out.

Chris
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
French teachers are in demand in Ontario, or more specifically in the GTA.

Can you actually speak french with an approximately french accent, i.e. one that a french person might understand? I ask because if so, you'll be way ahead of many (not all) french teachers already here.
Hi Novocastrian, I lived in France for nearly ten years. Most French people think I'm French when they first meet me so I can definitely pass for one most of the time. I love the French language but decided I couldn't live with the French. Teaching French is the next best thing.
I'm hoping to move to the GTA, which is good if there are lots of opportunities.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Hi Becky

We've been in London for almost 6 years and I really like it. It's a great place to bring up a family - big enough to have decent facilities but not too big. It's also close to a couple of the great lakes for going to the beach and close enough to Detroit airport to get cheaper flights.

As far as teaching is concerned, having French will be a big bonus and will really help you get a job. Personally, I think you made the right decision to train in the UK. From my experience, it is much more substantial than the training here. I also don't agree that employers favour Canadian trained teachers. It depends alot on your attitude and determination (as well as ability to teach of course!). The principal who initially hired me liked that I was a British trained teacher.

Any experience you get will help you to build your resume whether it is Canadian or not. In fact, I think it could help as you will be able to compare the experiences and gain from that depth of experience. I find that comparing the two systems can make interviews more interesting and help you to stand out.

Chris
As someone who has consulted extensively with school districts both here and in the US about hiring, I sort of agree and disagree with this paragraph. a) She's better off being in a Canadian teacher ed program if she wants to teach here. b) mostly, British teacher training programs are substantially better. c) While there may be the odd enlightened board member/administrator who values the British system, the vast majority will favour a Canadian or even more so, provincial training. d) Attitude and determination are very important qualities to be able be successful.

If she has a few years to kill before gaining residence then train in the UK, if it was a straight choice and she wants to work in Canada, train here.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

It's immaterial really as I'm halfway through my training. If I found it impossible to get a job, then I'd be willing to retrain in Canada but hopefully it won't be necessary. I was hoping that my years in France might boost my chances a bit. It's been very helpful to have people's views on what my chances are, thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Novocastrian, I lived in France for nearly ten years. Most French people think I'm French when they first meet me so I can definitely pass for one most of the time. I love the French language but decided I couldn't live with the French. Teaching French is the next best thing.
I'm hoping to move to the GTA, which is good if there are lots of opportunities.
Excellent, you'll be fine.

Give me shout when you get here.

Edit: I've just been chewing the fat with the OH who knows a bit about this. She says that your best bet in the GTA is York Region District School Board and the Public Schools rather than the High Schools.

But, she also thinks it's by no means a shoe-in. Likely you'll need to go the sub/part-time/full time route like most people do.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 9th 2010 at 12:40 am.