Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Teaching secondary!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaching secondary!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:37 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching secondary!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Oink
In fact, the world over, teachers are a moany lot.
Oh, I know, both my sisters and Mum teach. We have endless fun debates about it
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Wot, Wotsoever, Tho, this is what is taught in schools in Britain today?

Accountability is how standards are maintained. Myself and many of my former colleagues had to do regular checks and training, lots of questions were asked, if we failed we were unemployed. Every profession should be accountable, not least to their employer.
I didn't know I was actually teaching anybody on here when I actually wrote those words, i assumed most would be educated. However 'wot' wotsoever' is used on some people who may need differentiation. Hope you are not having any difficulties with it. If you are, PM me and I'll help you with the correct spelling.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:42 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Me too, but with my retired Dad, he was a teacher under Thatcher's regime.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy
I didn't know I was actually teaching anybody on here when I actually wrote those words, i assumed most would be educated. However 'wot' wotsoever' is used on some people who may need differentiation. Hope you are not having any difficulties with it. If you are, PM me and I'll help you with the correct spelling.
Please, put it on here and help others, I would not want to be greedy and hog all your time alone.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't suggest teaching was viewed differently to working in any other job...my last job was a buyer for a large fashion retailer, so i know what youre talking about re sales expectations, targets etc (which infact was a doddle compared to teaching) ..I simply wanted to know if teaching in canada differed at all to teaching in UK...... that's all
I teach at a Uni so that's different anyway, but the OH is a teacher in the public school system (York region). She gets pissed off at the administrivia, but it's not as bad as the UK I think. Moreover, at least in her school, there are few or no problems with disrespect or with discipline.

Admittedly, Unionville is not Rexdale.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

i know every job has pressures, but i am interested to know from those who teach in canada how you feel about your jobs. Love it? Hate it? Do you get job satisfaction? Respect from students? or like many teachers i know here, are you under permanent stress, fear of inspections that ask far too much? fear of the kids failing ?(even tho at times there is little contribution on their side) (NOT all kids tho..) little support from parents,? (some actually do try but theyve also lost it with their preciois ones)tears on a sunday night?(teachers not the kids!)

Just wondered what the comparison is,
There is not the fear of the dreaded OSTED inspection. Teachers are fairly well compensated, as for 'respect' from students, it depends where you teach. The big difference is the amount of parental pressure/expectation, and the sense of entitlement is especially prevalent in the more affluent areas. Although not as much as in the US.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Who get 10+ weeks off a year.
From work?

I've no idea ...who?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Please, put it on here and help others, I would not want to be greedy and hog all your time alone.

no chance of that! i don't have any time!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's why its dangerous to discuss 'education' civilians. They've all gone to school, read the newspaper so think their opinion is valid, when its based on biased personal experience, heresy and superstition instead of any empirical research.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Others don't seem to be having a problem, with it
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There is not the fear of the dreaded OSTED inspection. Teachers are fairly well compensated, as for 'respect' from students, it depends where you teach. The big difference is the amount of parental pressure/expectation, and the sense of entitlement is especially prevalent in the more affluent areas. Although not as much as in the US.
Debate about teaching aside, Oink has the right of it here as far as the OP's enquiry is concerned. I'd simply add that the challenge in obtaining a permanent, full time K-12 teaching position should not be overlooked. You will need an additional source of income to keep body and soul together for the n years it will take to break into the system.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Can I suggest you all stop having a go and stick to answering the question if you can. If you cant, then I fail to see what the point of deriding teachers is, other than to make you look bad.

Personally I wouldnt be a teacher for all the tea in china, but I fail to see how excessive government assessment in the classroom, and dictating how a professional should go about their job is supposed to help. As a non teacher I would say the main difference here is the absense of a national curriculum and standardised testing, and the league tables that result from that. Teachers of course are still assessed within the school board, and provincial testing occurs, but I imagine its less rigourous, less frequent and less pressured. If that frees up teachers to be enthusiastic and creative then thats a good thing, but on the other hand it means some less good teachers get to slip by too...

Thank you for that Iaink...

Some teachers who have taught for many years do moan, because the bars have certainly been raised when it comes to accountability. Inspections are necessary and indeed welcomed from senior management. Of course we all want personal development, to learn and progress and pass it on to the kids but some government expectations are ridiculously unrealistic and yes, more time is spent on preparation for inspection than being creative and enthusiastic with the kids (ahem or should i say students)which is really quite sad.....

Last edited by Patsy; Jan 6th 2010 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Hi Patsy
I'm a teacher, although currently not teaching over here as I'm going through the certification process at the moment (doing a uni course in Canadian studies for 6 months to complete their requirements). I'm not a secondary teacher but a primary/elementary one.

My views (so far from the association I've had with local teachers and schools) are that teachers here in the elementary sector are a mixed bag. Some work extremely hard, just as hard as we're used to in the UK, long hours....weekends....etc. I don't think so many work through their summer vacations in their respective schools bar a few days before school starts again, in fact many work other jobs over the long summer break. Other teachers seem to 'wing it' more without too much fear of accountablility.

I'm currently applying for a full time teaching post starting this coming September, having done other related education work while I'm doing the extra training. I think the extra legislation and OFSTED related standards in the UK have ensured that teachers are less 'hit and miss' in the UK than they are here, however, the teachers I've met here are a little more chilled and less stressed/overworked than in the UK.
Hope that helps a bit.....
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Patsy:

I'm a HS Eng. teacher in QC. It's a great job - provided you have some self sourced motivation. Job satisfaction for me is important - in my case I see it being derived from (a) personal goals, (b) positive student interaction/student goals, (c) subject interest and importantly, (d) ignoring the school administration/school board for 10 months of the year. In my experience the admin/board are self-serving and superfluous entities that complicate matters too often - I can make 100+ decisions before they act in any situation.

Like the UK, student respect is earned and dearly bought; you should know this by now? That said, school location/organisation does have an impact, esp. concerning rural (rabbit hunters) and urban (chrystal meth dealers/users) schools. I once taught in a poorly organised and managed semi-rural/semi-suburban school where 35% of the kids were complete ****ing assholes; they barely respected each other, let alone their parents, support staff and the teaching staff.

I have a low stress classroom because I purposefully seek to avoid conflicts by denying any asshole kid entrance. Unless they are willing to behave under my terms they aren't welcome. You want to sit "quietly" and mentally jerk off in the corner? Fine, sit there, but don't ask me any favours kid. Stress avoidance is paramount here in Can. as the UK.

In my experience school inspections are practically non-existent, with the exceptions of private or IB schools (no OFSTED).

Of course I fear for the failing student, but I try my hardest to help them succeed; if they don't succeed, well, let the chips fall where they may. The way the current (QC) education system is being moulded makes it much more difficult for kids to "fail' in the classical sense. This situation is also evident in BC and Ont., according to teacher/admin friends in said provinces. We know this is creating problems for post secondary education institutions (e.g. low literacy, low numeracy, delusions of grandeur, sense of entitlement, etc.). I have no idea how such social trends develop, but so be it. The next generation shall be an interesting one (twit-err???).

I find parental support a mixed bag, and it is so easy to pass the buck (back and forth) here, but in this ****ed up world I do my job to the best of my ability. Many of my parent experiences are positive, and I see many parents actively involved in their children's lives/education. I try very hard to problem solve with concerned parents. I honestly do fear for the poor little waifs who lack parental wisdom or presence; ultimately, it's not my problem, and I can't be expected to fill in for crappy parents. It breaks my heart to see troublesome/needy/wanting kids. Yet, I see each kid (x135) in class for 50 minutes per day, and that amounts to squat as far as parenting is concerned.

At the end of the day, I drive home in an all expenses paid company car, with a huge smile on my face, oftentimes laughing, with a big fat paycheque (deposited into my offshore account), barely work on-and-off for less than 200 days (at the expense of the tax-payers, Ha! Ha! Haaaa!; some of them on this forum too!), take free trips (paid by students and taxpayers), boss pimply teenagers around, flick swotty kids in the back of the head in the hallway, read trashy novels/beaver mags/play COD 4 between lessons, hang out with a 75% majority female staff and suffer the envy of all non-teachers. It's just bliss.

P.S. I apologise, wotsoever, to the forum NKVD for my poor spelling, sentence syntax, punctuation faults, lack of professionalism, lack of knowledge, cold-heartedness, un-PCness, boils, spots, bullshit and inadequate etiquette. Not.

P.P.S. BTW, teachers in Quebec are not paid for the summer vacation (i.e. June 25-August 25), nor are they recognised as "professionals" by the Gouvernement du Quebec.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

i know every job has pressures, but i am interested to know from those who teach in canada how you feel about your jobs. Love it? Hate it? Do you get job satisfaction? Respect from students? or like many teachers i know here, are you under permanent stress, fear of inspections that ask far too much? fear of the kids failing ?(even tho at times there is little contribution on their side) (NOT all kids tho..) little support from parents,? (some actually do try but theyve also lost it with their preciois ones)tears on a sunday night?(teachers not the kids!)

Just wondered what the comparison is,
Hi Patsy

I teach elementary in Ontario. I find it to be less stressful teaching in Canada. You get plenty of prep time, decent pay and much less paperwork. There is not the same amount of accountability here than there is in the UK which is great if you're a hard working teacher. Unfortunately bad teachers easily slip through the net as the unions are strong and make it difficult to get rid of them. Seniority rules rather than ability or qualifications.

I find I do the same amount of work and planning as I did in the UK but it's because I choose to rather than have to so it is more meaningful than prescribed. Also, I have done much more PD here as I work for a large school board that provides plenty of opportunities for PD - much more so than in the UK. Again, alot of that is voluntary.

Respect from students, parent support and job satisfaction depend on individual circumstances and individual teachers but the external government pressures are much less in my opinion.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.