Reload this Page >

Teaching jobs in Canada?

Teaching jobs in Canada?

Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

12am is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching jobs in Canada?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in Canada with BUNAC and I'd like to secure a teaching job over the summer, in the hope that I can apply for an LMO and maybe get to stay here a bit longer

I'm pretty much bilingual in English and French, so I'm thinking the most appealing route for me right now would be either to teach ESL in Quebec or to teach French as a foreign language in another province. I have a Bachelor's in languages, but all I have in terms of teaching experience so far is some casual tutoring. (No teaching certificates.)

What I'm wondering is this:

Are there any particular employers that would be happy to take on capable-but-uncertified language teachers?

Would I be more likely to find this type of work in certain provinces over others?

Any info on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
12am
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching jobs in Canada?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 12am
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in Canada with BUNAC and I'd like to secure a teaching job over the summer, in the hope that I can apply for an LMO and maybe get to stay here a bit longer

I'm pretty much bilingual in English and French, so I'm thinking the most appealing route for me right now would be either to teach ESL in Quebec or to teach French as a foreign language in another province. I have a Bachelor's in languages, but all I have in terms of teaching experience so far is some casual tutoring. (No teaching certificates.)

What I'm wondering is this:

Are there any particular employers that would be happy to take on capable-but-uncertified language teachers?

Would I be more likely to find this type of work in certain provinces over others?

Any info on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
12am
Not sure you'll have much luck with that. Quebecois don't like to speak English and those that need to likley already do, the rest of Canada does not need to speak French because we deal with Quebecois who speak English. The chances of getting an LMO for a job to do this are less than zero, there are plenty of Canadians who could do it.

French and English are both official languages of Canada and taught in schools, being widely spoken where needed. The only ESL I have heard of is for people speaking languages other than French or English. You could look at teaching proper English to Americans, they seem to need some help on that front.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 17th 2011 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

OK, might be time to start rethinking my career prospects then

Thanks, Steve_P and The Aviator
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

I have no idea, but in BC it seems like a lot of kids go to French immersion schools, whereas there don't seem to be many adults who speak good French. I would think there would be some demand for French tutors for children, especially if they were fluent / native speakers.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:57 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

might be different in other provinces but When I looked into tutoring in Toronto, most agencies wouldn't take you on unless you had Provincial certification.

Of course you don't need to go through an agency but word of mouth is hard when you don't know anyone.

BTW the agency's pay rates sucked BIG TIME!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

@Bonestable: Yeah, that's more or less what I would have thought too. Interesting. Thanks; I guess I'll keep an eye out for opportunities in BC

@Zoe Bell: Thanks for the tips!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

To teach in B.C in schools or colleges you need to be certified by the British Columbia College of Teachers. They accredit your qualifications and you cannot work in education without this accreditation.
I am not sure that this applies to Adult courses run outside of the school system, though. I would have thought from the number of people immigrating to Canada and especially B.C from non-English speaking countries (especially the Indian sub-continent, because for some reason they think it is sunny and warm there all the time) whose grasp of English is rudimentary to say the least, you might stand a chance of getting work as a private tutor in either English or French or both. Despite the recent introduction of the IELTS requirement, there are still many immigrants who cannot speak English because only the Principal applicant is required to take it. I also believe that sponsored relatives do not need to prove their fluency in either language to be admitted, so there is certainly a market for it there!
There are induction courses for new immigrants and maybe whoever provides those would be interested in you? I do share the view that it is unlikely to be a job which you would get LMO for, though, as it is something many Canadians might also be able to apply for and they take priority.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:17 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I know our school employs foreign language tutors for our students who are either ESL or taking mother tongue qualifications.

We pay a slightly lower rate for tutors without provincial certification.

This is an independent school , trying checking out the CAIS website, jobs in independent schools are often advertised there
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There are a multitude of ESL schools in Vancouver, mostly teaching English to Asian young people. They range from well run, respected organizations to some pretty dodgy fly-by-night operations.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonestable
I have no idea, but in BC it seems like a lot of kids go to French immersion schools, whereas there don't seem to be many adults who speak good French.
Would not say a lot of kids go to French immersion, some do granted. French is taught in other schools, but unless you plan on working for the feds, there is not really any need for it. Don't think I have needed a word of French since I moved here (other than 'merde'). In BC I have found more need for Cantonese, Mandarin and Punjabi than French.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 18th 2011 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest is going into French Immersion next year.

Partly it's too keep his brain occupied - he's very bright - but it's also to keep alive the French culture that comes from his mother's side of the family.

There are spanish, cantonese, mandarin and arabic options available in Calgary too.