Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Teaching jobs in Canada

Teaching jobs in Canada

Old May 1st 2011, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice
Default Teaching jobs in Canada

Hi all,
my wife is a PE teacher at the moment and we are in the throes of emmigratng to Canada. My wife really loves her job and would like to do something similar (if not exactly the same) in Canada.

She is convinced having spoken to 'people' that she will never get a teaching job, as it is 'impossible' for UK teachers to get work in Canada, especially in Phys Ed.
I just wondered if anyone had any advice, experienes that will either refute or support my wifes beliefs.

Any information gratefully received.

Sean
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:18 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching jobs in Canada

not impossible , just extremely difficult. There is an article in the wiki about teaching in Canada.

Bootom line is you need some other way of supporting yourself while you make the roads in via short term supply.

Tecahing is regulated at a provincial level. You need to find the regulatory body for the province you intend to reside in to find out the requirements.

Most will not allow you to register until you have PR status. Some can take many months/years to assess your qualifictaions.

If you did your training via the GTP program then chances are they won't recognize your qualifications at all.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:36 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
not impossible , just extremely difficult. There is an article in the wiki about teaching in Canada.

Bootom line is you need some other way of supporting yourself while you make the roads in via short term supply.

Tecahing is regulated at a provincial level. You need to find the regulatory body for the province you intend to reside in to find out the requirements.

Most will not allow you to register until you have PR status. Some can take many months/years to assess your qualifictaions.

If you did your training via the GTP program then chances are they won't recognize your qualifications at all.
Although the recent election pledges by the winning party in Canada did include some to make the verification and acceptance of overseas qualifications easier and quicker.
Since he has been in Canada, my husband has met several teachers in B.C who are recent arrivals from the UK (i.e. within the last year to five years) and they have not had a problem finding and securing work, although it can be very dependent upon the area you are in so it is worth making specific enquiries about locations.
It seems there is a distinct difference of opinion. I had been given the gloomy outlook, but then it seems teachers arriving in B.C are not finding it as hard to find work as it has been portrayed to me by some other people. Yes, the system is different and for some it might be difficult but it is not as hard as I had been led to believe by some advice.
I do not think that you can teach on a TWP, though - PR is required in most (if not all) provinces.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:58 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Although the recent election pledges by the winning party in Canada did include some to make the verification and acceptance of overseas qualifications easier and quicker.
Since he has been in Canada, my husband has met several teachers in B.C who are recent arrivals from the UK (i.e. within the last year to five years) and they have not had a problem finding and securing work, although it can be very dependent upon the area you are in so it is worth making specific enquiries about locations.
It seems there is a distinct difference of opinion. I had been given the gloomy outlook, but then it seems teachers arriving in B.C are not finding it as hard to find work as it has been portrayed to me by some other people. Yes, the system is different and for some it might be difficult but it is not as hard as I had been led to believe by some advice.
I do not think that you can teach on a TWP, though - PR is required in most (if not all) provinces.

Fair enough , it must vary hugely within the area. The situation in Ontario is horrible.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:08 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough , it must vary hugely within the area. The situation in Ontario is horrible.
Yes, that's what I thought when I started getting this info through my husband. Apparently around Victoria you can kiss goodbye to thoughts of a teaching job but then further North on Vancouver Island a friend of mine got a post quite quickly and was Principal there within three years, so that just goes to show how it can change with location.
Having said that, it is exactly the same over here, really. Some areas you can't get a job for love nor money and others are crying out for staff (usually the less salubrious areas!).
I take the work where I can get it.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:17 pm
Professional Cat herder

Mind you looks like the UK is going the same way. Teacher redundancies were unheard of when I started teach g and for many years before that. Now you are lucky to have a job or your school ends up an academy and you can kiss bye bye to burgundy book pay and conditions

I applaud you for having the tenacity to get into teaching in Canada , jobs or not the whole process isn't for the feint hearted!
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:38 am
Island life at last

Mind you looks like the UK is going the same way. Teacher redundancies were unheard of when I started teach g and for many years before that. Now you are lucky to have a job or your school ends up an academy and you can kiss bye bye to burgundy book pay and conditions

I applaud you for having the tenacity to get into teaching in Canada , jobs or not the whole process isn't for the feint hearted!
Teaching in this country is at the lowest ebb.
These days teaching in this country is very demoralising for anyone who cares about children - constant change and destabilisation, filling in pointless paperwork, making every child the same when they aren't and the quality of leadership is absolutely appalling. People are under constant bullying and excessive pressure from management and they are too scared to say anything for fear of getting into trouble and they can't find another job so they are stuck. I meet teachers like that all the time while on Supply here - it is so sad.
You are right about the job situation - when I gave up my permanent post some time ago to do Temporary contracts teachers told me I was mad and said I wouldn't get any work, but I was busy quickly and I also get offered Temporary contracts, which I accept from time to time when I am in the mood!.
Maybe Canada will have the same issues as here, maybe not, but I have other options anyway.
I'll check it out for myself and see what I think. If I don't like it, I shall just label myself a teaching dinosaur and join the rapidly swelling ranks of ex-teachers (which already includes a lot of people on my Christmas card list!).
I hope that burgesshead's wife doesn't get too demoralised by bad things that she has heard and gives it a try if that is what she wants.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice

thanks for the information folks; really useful.
I'll pass on the views expressed to the wife. I think she is just petrified that we get over to Canada and not have a decent lifestyle through getting jobs (I work as a Uni lecturer, but am open to other fields if it pays the bills). The whole point of the move is to provide a better upbringing for our son (which I agree would be somewhat different in the British schooling system).

We both love BC, having spent some time in Vancouver, but due to living costs thought it may be out of range initially. But if we could both begin temping that would help.

Thanks again for the info., very much appreciated.

Sean
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:01 am
Professional Cat herder

If it is any consolation. I couldn't be bothered to go through the teaching certification/short term supply rigmarole. I took an admin job that pays about half what my teaching salary did , and I'm very happy with my current standard of life !
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:31 am
Island life at last

If it is any consolation. I couldn't be bothered to go through the teaching certification/short term supply rigmarole. I took an admin job that pays about half what my teaching salary did , and I'm very happy with my current standard of life !
Good for you! A change from teaching for a bit will certainly do me good, anyway!
With regards to your comments about salary, I can support what Zoe is saying. A little lower salary is not necessarily a problem and we have found that some people's estimates of what you need to live are inflated, even for B.C.
My husband has been living in Langley since August and from a standing start he has managed to not only buy himself all he needs to live, including furniture (albeit from craigslist and so on, but it is all good!), crockery and all the little things and rent a very nice apartment, has also managed to save rather a lot as well, on what we thought would be a very modest salary from what we had been led to believe. Actually, it turns out to be quite easily enough to live on!
I have been paying all the bills and so on in the UK as well, so there was no help to be had from me!
I think on the basis of this personal experience, we have revised what we need me to earn when I go over. I think some people's estimates of what is required to live in B.C or anywhere else says more about their extravagant spending than what is actually required to have a nice, normal, comfortable life. Champagne Charlie's might have a problem!
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:06 am
Professional Cat herder

Hmmm , the aim for me was to get out of teaching and into the real world, which is how I've found myself as an admin assistant in a school
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

I'm definately of the same opinion, if I've got enough to have a good life I'm happy. Just read an article in Muchor magazine about cheese making, could be a goer!! After all, as Monty Python stated "blessed are the cheesemakers!!"

I'm hoping to use the recreational opportunities as an angle as well. As my wife and I both have coaching quals (and she is an avid softball player) planning on using that as a potential way to get networking (may be voluntary at first, but expecting that). As many have said on this forum often it's who you know that results in employment.

I guess that's part of the appeal of Canada, much of the 'community' appears to have gone from the U.K., and all trips to Canada have give the feeling of neighbourhood harmony (although I'm sure there are exceptions to this).
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:28 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by burgesshead
I'm definately of the same opinion, if I've got enough to have a good life I'm happy. Just read an article in Muchor magazine about cheese making, could be a goer!! After all, as Monty Python stated "blessed are the cheesemakers!!"
We should get together on that one, then!
My husband has always had a hankering for keeping goats ever since he read "The Goat Handbook" when we were staying in a holiday cottage, I love goats cheese and have looked into how easy it is to make it and our new home has 40 acres and a lot of grass that needs keeping short, so what are we waiting for!
If you fancy a partnership if you are ever in B.C, get in touch!
Seriously, I see it as an opportunity to be different and do different things if you want to - it is a good chance to have a life laundry in many ways. Why would people do it if they were satisfied with their current life?
The OH and I are not emigrating because of teaching or his job prospects or not having other choices, just because of an overall feeling of not fitting in here any more and needing to make tracks towards something else that might be better for us. In many ways, even just the being apart and the working together but without each other near has changed us and made us better people, I think. We really appreciate each other now and I didn't think we were complacent before!
Perhaps this is a chance for you both, like us, to think a bit more creatively about what you have to offer and break out of the routine you had here. It is a time when worries grab you, especially about money, but with your education and skills and a good portion of flexibility I am sure you will both make a good life for you and your family in Canada, whatever you end up doing .
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Think you are spot on there! I live 50 miles from work and the drive this morning (first back after 'The Wedding' and bank holiday) was crushing. I've been in lecturing now for about 15 years, so maybe a bit of outdoor pursuits is in order!!

As a back up I could always keep your grass short (the wife always says I'm good at acting the goat!)
Must admit, being a bit more self sufficient has always appealed. Maybe I could look into wine making in Okanagan or Kelowna!!?
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:02 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by burgesshead
Think you are spot on there! I live 50 miles from work and the drive this morning (first back after 'The Wedding' and bank holiday) was crushing. I've been in lecturing now for about 15 years, so maybe a bit of outdoor pursuits is in order!!

As a back up I could always keep your grass short (the wife always says I'm good at acting the goat!)
Must admit, being a bit more self sufficient has always appealed. Maybe I could look into wine making in Okanagan or Kelowna!!?
Cheese and wine - what a combination
Good luck with it all. What stage are you at currently? We are at the waiting for medicals stage and London VO are being very slow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.