Reload this Page >

Teaching Jobs in Canada.

Teaching Jobs in Canada.

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

HUFC1908 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Jobs in Canada.

Howdo

I'm a Physics teacher, qualified in UK, currently teaching in Bermuda and looking to move permamently to Canada. I have looked into Visa's etc but am struggling to find information on Jobs. Could anyone tell me how easy it will be to pick up a secondary school teaching post in Canada? I was looking to apply for a permament visa then look for a job after arriving (as long as I'm accepted).

Can anyone give me any hints and tips as to what I will need to do to register as a teacher in Canada and how long I may wait to get a job? Any other tips would be great.

Cheers.

(oh if it helps I was looking at moving to either BC, Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan)
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:40 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Jobs in Canada.

Hi HFUC1908, and welcome to the BE forum.

Very similar questions have been asked in the last couple of days.

Please see the discussion threads entitled
and
You also would find it useful to read the BE Wiki article entitled Newcomers to the forum. It has helpful about this website as well as about issues that you have to address when you want to move to Canada (immigration formalities, job hunting, etc.).
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:09 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is the Calgary Board of Education is not looking for any teachers from outside of Canada at this time.

Apparently there are enough graduates from within Canada to fill any vacancies.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice

I'm an elementary school teacher in BC. School districts will not consider you for a position without first getting certified through the teacher regulating body in each province. In BC, this happens to be the BC College of Teachers and in Alberta it's through the government department of education. You should also be aware that many provinces will not issue teaching certificates to teachers who aren't yet permanent residents or citizens, so you might have to wait for your visa application to be processed first. You'll need to get these things sorted out before you can start looking for a job. If you have any questions on getting certified to teach in BC, you can ask me.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 4:58 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

We have received several enquiries from teachers recently, so I have written a Wiki on Teaching in Canada.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to observe that Teaching is probably one of the most difficult professions for an immigrant to get into in Canada. I base this on the difficulties Canadians have in securing full time permanent employment. It seems to be the same case in most if not all provinces. The principles of 'seniority' in a highly unionised profession have a lot to do with this.

Going further, my advice to the prospective immigrant teacher would be that unless you have a) a pile of cash to live on whilst you break into teaching or b) a partner with another income that will support you, then it's a non starter.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

HUFC1908 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice given so far. Much appreciated.

In reality it looks as though I'll be switching location and giving Canada a miss.

Oh well, Rest of the world here I come!