Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Teaching Basic Key Skills in Alberta

Teaching Basic Key Skills in Alberta

Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Question Teaching Basic Key Skills in Alberta

Hi all

If you have read any of our previous threads you will be aware that we are due to go to Alberta some time next.

Hubby all sorted with a job (reason for move) but I am still in limbo as to what I am gonna do for a job.

My experience is within the hospitality industry managing bars and restuarants but am reluctant to do this when we get to Canada as I dont want to work the very unsocialable hours. I have recently changed my job and am now involved in the assessing of work based qualificationg which includes making sure that the learners doing the qualifications acquire their basic key skills in Math English and IT.

Does anyone know whether I could get a job as a classroom assistant or perfahps work with special needs adults without a degree or "formal" training. A friend I have met on this website has given me the idea but am not sure if Canada has paid "helpers" to do this type of support.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Gaynor
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Teaching Basic Key Skills in Alberta

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi all

If you have read any of our previous threads you will be aware that we are due to go to Alberta some time next.

Hubby all sorted with a job (reason for move) but I am still in limbo as to what I am gonna do for a job.

My experience is within the hospitality industry managing bars and restuarants but am reluctant to do this when we get to Canada as I dont want to work the very unsocialable hours. I have recently changed my job and am now involved in the assessing of work based qualificationg which includes making sure that the learners doing the qualifications acquire their basic key skills in Math English and IT.

Does anyone know whether I could get a job as a classroom assistant or perfahps work with special needs adults without a degree or "formal" training. A friend I have met on this website has given me the idea but am not sure if Canada has paid "helpers" to do this type of support.

Gaynor

since husband got a job, why dont u get a AA degree in healthcare? always jobs and good pay
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatdoc
since husband got a job, why dont u get a AA degree in healthcare? always jobs and good pay

Had I wanted to go into nursing I would have done that when I left School
Old Oct 1st 2006, 5:02 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi all

Gaynor
Classroom Asst - you need a formal Teacher Assistant certificate in AB. Special Needs Adults - either a Certificate or Diploma depending on what you do (i.e. full care or Life Skills etc.)

Experience will help you, but you need a bit of paper to get your foot in the door.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:48 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dingbat
Classroom Asst - you need a formal Teacher Assistant certificate in AB. Special Needs Adults - either a Certificate or Diploma depending on what you do (i.e. full care or Life Skills etc.)

Experience will help you, but you need a bit of paper to get your foot in the door.
Much as it sounds crazy the way to get your foot in the door is to take a lunchroom assistant job at school. While working there get the required "bit of paper".

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:00 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could start looking for a ESL type place for adults.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Much as it sounds crazy the way to get your foot in the door is to take a lunchroom assistant job at school. While working there get the required "bit of paper".
Really good idea.