British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Teaching in Alberta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/teaching-alberta-677402/)

zippadydoda Jul 20th 2010 2:48 am

Teaching in Alberta

Has anyone managed to get a teaching job using a letter of authority only (not an interim certificate) ?

Am just about to get my PR (passports have been at visa office 3 weeks tomorrow) and the only other stumbling block is that I have to complete 3semester hour credits in Canadian Studies. Have no idea how much that is likely to cost or how long it will take. So just wondering if it's possible to teach with letter of authority.:confused:

Aviator Jul 20th 2010 4:02 am

Re: Teaching in Alberta

Originally Posted by zippadydoda (Post 8713995)
Has anyone managed to get a teaching job using a letter of authority only (not an interim certificate) ?

Am just about to get my PR (passports have been at visa office 3 weeks tomorrow) and the only other stumbling block is that I have to complete 3semester hour credits in Canadian Studies. Have no idea how much that is likely to cost or how long it will take. So just wondering if it's possible to teach with letter of authority.:confused:

Have you got a job offer? Teaching is not easy to get into here even if you are qualified and Canadian. Very much a closed shop.

zippadydoda Jul 20th 2010 4:57 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8714070)
Have you got a job offer? Teaching is not easy to get into here even if you are qualified and Canadian. Very much a closed shop.

So I believe. No not yet but I am going to be applying for one with a closing date of 18th August to start Sept. Figured it is already spoken for but I am exactly what they are looking for experience wise so I am going to apply cause I have nothing to lose. Also I believe if you try hard to achieve your goal you stand a good chance of getting there?:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

danfolkestone Jul 20th 2010 8:15 am

Sorry, but I'm not sure whether you are able to teach with a letter of authority. One thing that you will find is that the availability of teaching posts in the public system is primarily about seniority rather than ability. Unfortunately, recent cut backs mean that there are teachers sloshing around in the system who have been laid off, despite passing their probationary years. That is likely to mean that there will be teachers who are ahead of you in the queue for a job. That's certainly the case in Calgary, but may be different in less urban areas like St Albert.

Private and Charter schools operate outside the control of school boards, so seniority doesn't play the same role there.

One more positive piece of information I can give you is that the Alberta government recently announced that it had found some more money for schools, which may have improved the situation.

Have you applied to any school boards? In Calgary, you have to be approved by the school board, which then chooses which positions you can apply for at schools under their control. Turning down a school which they suggest isn't an option! I assume the system is the same in St Albert.

ann m Jul 20th 2010 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by danfolkestone (Post 8714397)
In Calgary, you have to be approved by the school board, which then chooses which positions you can apply for at schools under their control. Turning down a school which they suggest isn't an option! I assume the system is the same in St Albert.

I was talking to a summer temp at work the other week (she will be going into her fourth year of her teaching degree in September). She said something about interviewing for the Calgary Board of Education. If you messed up or they didn't like you, you couldn't apply for another two years. Is that true?

Sounds like the only way to 'break' into teaching here would be to purposefully move to a remote/rural area and hope there are far fewer candidates.

dthomas Jul 20th 2010 3:08 pm

As stated above - contact public school boards and the schools directly, get yourself known. Talk to people and then email them - in particular the exec. secretary, principal, department heads, et al. . When in country do leg work and visit the schools yourself - meet and network with the key people.

It is possible to teach with a letter of authority. You may/may not be surprised at the number of teachers working without qualification (esp. contract teachers); the important thing is to get your diploma/certificate formally recognised by the provincial Teacher's College. It is a good idea to apply at the private and alternative schools. If you are secondary you may consider adult education schools, tech colleges, language schools, etc. Be persistent :fingerscrossed:.

Piff Poff Jul 20th 2010 3:35 pm

Wasn't there someone on here that managed to get a job in Medicine Hat teaching?

triumphguy Jul 20th 2010 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8714070)

It's not a closed shop in the sense they only hire from inside, or only people they "like", there's just no room in school or school board budgets for any hirings that do not meet the staffing criteria. Schools are assigned teaching places by the school board admin based on number of students, and the number of students requirting extra support. The budget for their pay is based on this formula. There is no leeway.

When I was a school administrator I hired a couple of Nova Scotian teachers who happened to turn up on the right day in August. They had all the paperwork necessary to teach in Alberta. While I couldn't just hire them without going through staffing interviews, their spirit and sense of adventure meant they were firm favourites going into the interviews. The other, Calgary based, applicants hadn't even bothered to show up at the school and say "Hi," before the interviews.

Steve_P Jul 20th 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 8715338)
...interviewing for the Calgary Board of Education. If you messed up or they didn't like you, you couldn't apply for another two years. Is that true?

From something my son said last week (he is a teacher with the CBE) it appears the answer is yes.

zippadydoda Jul 21st 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for all your replies guys. I will carry on with my mission and keep positive. I know that sooner or later my determination will pay off. Here's hoping!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lousid Jul 21st 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by zippadydoda (Post 8718547)
Thanks for all your replies guys. I will carry on with my mission and keep positive. I know that sooner or later my determination will pay off. Here's hoping!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I teach here in BC. I made it my business to be proactive and persistent. I was turned down for my first job but my positive outlook and my going back to the school to see how things were done there, despite my not getting the position, won favour and friends quickly. I asked if they'd mind my being there to spend a half day to see the kids in action and talk to staff. I got a call the following week for something that later turned into a part time and then, much later, a full time contract. Get to know people. It helps.

Your attitude is everything.

peterwil0 Jul 24th 2010 8:19 pm

Apply with your qualifications to TQSB Alberta teachers Association, Barnett House, Edmonton Alberta

I taught/principalled in AB for 25 years. Came here with 3 year certificate from KAC in Winchester and was told I had to take 3 3/5 further years of Education to qualify as a full teacher. Until that was done I was allowed to teach but paid on a MUCH lower salary scale. I'm not sure if that is even allowed now.

Generally it is the case.....you will have difficulty getting qualifications recognised. In addition...as others have said....there's a surplus of teachers all over Canada. Willingness to teach in a remote northern conmmunity will help you get a foot in the door....then you bite the bullet and do what they demand....or beat yourself up complaining and still have to do it....you can't beat "city hall".

Even moving between provinces is tough....I got a B.Ed from Alberta and thjen an M.Ed too before I retired. Was then asked to take a job in a remote community in BC and the agreement was they would pay/recognise my qualifications. After 5 months I had a letter from the BC teachers union telling me they were cutting me back in salary until I completed a 1st Year English University course ! C'est la guerre

Peter

Shawn_ldn Jul 25th 2010 7:22 am

Mr dthomas gave me good advice when I first arrived.
My experience:
you can teach under a letter of authority but the teaching board you would be working for have to get that letter so you are at the vagaries of the school board.
It isn't easy to break into the system and it takes a while to get to understand how the system works. But put a lot of effort and go the extra mile by getting involved in extra curricular activities and that does get recognized.
If you/the family is going to rely on you earning a steady income straight out it is going to be tough as you will more than likely have to substitute teach to get the foot in the door.
It is possible though to get into the system, and when you do it has been my experience that the teaching conditions and kids are incredible.
So, be realistic - it's going to be very tough - but it is possible.

snoopster Jul 25th 2010 4:52 pm

I've just got my Alberta Interim teachers certificate having completed my 3 semester credits in Canadian Studies. Like you, that was the only extra study I needed to do.
I can certainly give you details of the course I did if that helps - I studied part time distance learning and completed it in 5 months.
I was offered a full time job in a private school in January of this year, and they said that if my certificate wasn't issued in time for the start of my job, then a letter of Authority would suffice, but that's in the private sector.
If an area or school district is short of sub teachers then they might consider this option, but many areas have plenty of sub teachers on their books.

Good luck and let me know if you want details of the course

dthomas Jul 25th 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by peterwil0 (Post 8725720)
Apply with your qualifications to TQSB Alberta teachers Association, Barnett House, Edmonton Alberta

I taught/principalled in AB for 25 years. Came here with 3 year certificate from KAC in Winchester and was told I had to take 3 3/5 further years of Education to qualify as a full teacher. Until that was done I was allowed to teach but paid on a MUCH lower salary scale. I'm not sure if that is even allowed now.

Generally it is the case.....you will have difficulty getting qualifications recognised. In addition...as others have said....there's a surplus of teachers all over Canada. Willingness to teach in a remote northern conmmunity will help you get a foot in the door....then you bite the bullet and do what they demand....or beat yourself up complaining and still have to do it....you can't beat "city hall".

Even moving between provinces is tough....I got a B.Ed from Alberta and thjen an M.Ed too before I retired. Was then asked to take a job in a remote community in BC and the agreement was they would pay/recognise my qualifications. After 5 months I had a letter from the BC teachers union telling me they were cutting me back in salary until I completed a 1st Year English University course ! C'est la guerre

Peter

Good info and advice! However, as of spring 2009 the interprovincial barrier for professionals [including teachers] has been greatly altered. At most, one would be expected to comlete a 3-6 credit uni. course re the specific educational systems within said province. I have rubbed elbows with 3-4 BC, Alberta and NB teachers who moved to QC forwork - no probs for them:thumbsup:.

http://www.opinion250.com/blog/view/...ncial+movement
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...284-001841.htm
http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-p...nt-080718.html
http://www.gov.mb.ca/tce/lmi/labourmobility/index.html
www.ait-aci.ca/en/ait/ait_en.pdf