Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taxing TAX returns ?

Taxing TAX returns ?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:33 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taxing TAX returns ?

I posted on here a couple of days ago about the advice i got from my father inlaws accountant ! what a muppet he turned out to be ! (not the father inlaw)

Anyway, i have had more advice from a nameless source (yes the father inlaw) telling me "as i only arrived in November i dont have to file a tax return this year" !

Could somebody please help me before i end up in jail

Many thanks Daz
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxing TAX returns ?

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
I posted on here a couple of days ago about the advice i got from my father inlaws accountant ! what a muppet he turned out to be ! (not the father inlaw)

Anyway, i have had more advice from a nameless source (yes the father inlaw) telling me "as i only arrived in November i dont have to file a tax return this year" !

Could somebody please help me before i end up in jail

Many thanks Daz

In theory, you only need to file a tax return if you owe tax. You may or may not owe tax depending upon whether you earned anything since becoming a resident for tax purposes and whether you paid any tax on those earnings.

I would file for 3 reasons:

You will then be able to file on-line next year (quite a minor reason)
You will then be in the system (for claiming benefits etc.)
You will then know if you are owed a rebate, or whether you owe any tax.

In any event, there is no real harm in filing and, for the peace of mind point of view, is worth doing so.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:56 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

We were only here for two months of 2007 and we filed - and what a shambles they made of it, they lost our payments! File it saves a lot of hassle later.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:04 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You need to read the following from Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). It applies to income tax filings by newcomers to Canada.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...nwcmr-eng.html
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:06 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
In theory, you only need to file a tax return if you owe tax. You may or may not owe tax depending upon whether you earned anything since becoming a resident for tax purposes and whether you paid any tax on those earnings.

I would file for 3 reasons:

You will then be able to file on-line next year (quite a minor reason)
You will then be in the system (for claiming benefits etc.)
You will then know if you are owed a rebate, or whether you owe any tax.

In any event, there is no real harm in filing and, for the peace of mind point of view, is worth doing so.
That makes sense

I better get a move on then ! should i do it on my own (i`m good with numbers) or should i get somebody else to do it ?

ps If i do it where would i get the forms i have to fill in ?

Thanks again
Daz
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:08 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Daz.

Knowing your personal circumstances, and having read the CRA link, you do need to file.

Sorry mate. Not the answer you would have preferred, lol.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:10 am
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You need to read the following from Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). It applies to income tax filings by newcomers to Canada.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...nwcmr-eng.html
Good link
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:10 am
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Daz.

Knowing your personal circumstances, and having read the CRA link, you do need to file.

Sorry mate. Not the answer you would have preferred, lol.
I`m doomed i tell ya....doomed !
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:11 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense

I better get a move on then ! should i do it on my own (i`m good with numbers) or should i get somebody else to do it ?

ps If i do it where would i get the forms i have to fill in ?

Thanks again
Daz
We got the forms from the Post Office, but it is just as quick and easy to download one of the programmes. I think OH used Quicktax through the CIBC.

My OH was an accountant and I can tell you he gets really frustrated with these forms, not helped by having to do UK ones also and UK not knowing all about the tax treaties with Canada! You cannot send them electronically though for the first year you will have to mail them.

Hope your tax return is not as complicated as ours!!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:13 am
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
We got the forms from the Post Office, but it is just as quick and easy to download one of the programmes. I think OH used Quicktax through the CIBC.

My OH was an accountant and I can tell you he gets really frustrated with these forms, not helped by having to do UK ones also and UK not knowing all about the tax treaties with Canada! You cannot send them electronically though for the first year you will have to mail them.

Hope your tax return is not as complicated as ours!!!
Will i get a fine if they dont have it by the 30th ?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:15 am
NEMESIS

oh and they guy that advised me said i owe an extra $480 towards the health service
How can i owe that when i arrived in November and had 3 months private health ins ?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:19 am
Arrived at last!!

We filed in time 2007 and they cashed our cheques. A month later they billed us for interest having lost the payments. Despite many phone calls and sending them a copy of the cashed cheques they kept sending interest bills until they sorted it out. So I guess yes you may well get fined, but someone else will no doubt confirm this, but I think as long as they are posted before the 30th deadline you will be ok
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You will only be fined if you haven't paid all of the tax you owe by that date.

I would use Quicktax or a similar program. It is very easy, particularly if you don't have complicated finances.

Best of luck
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - $5,000,000.00 plus lates fees and interest as well as 50 years in jail!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:35 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Calgal
Absolutely - $5,000,000.00 plus lates fees and interest as well as 50 years in jail!
Don't joke about that - that's about what the Norwegian tax people claim I owe in Norwegian taxes, after not having lived there for 3.5 years...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.