Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:23 am
Just Joined

mercury28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Hello,
I am hoping someone maybe able to help me. I am new to the forum and have many questions, that i can't seem to find answers for!!

My family and i have PNP status for BC, my husband has a job as an automotive service technician in Pemberton. We are applying for PR from the UK.

We wanted to know about Canadian taxes. When my husband starts work what taxes will be taken from his wage? Do we pay provincial and federal taxes? Is the tax rate high in canada?

Is the cost of living alot cheaper than the UK? Is taxing and insuring a car in Canada expensive?

We have been thinking about whether we should go out to Canada before we have PR, but thought it might be more stable for the kids to wait until we have PR. We are obviously concerned that we may not pass the medicals as i have ulcerative colitis and my daughter has a heart murmur. But we are in hope if we do pass and get pr that we may have a better standard of life in British columbia.

I would love to hear other peoples experiences.

Xx
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Originally Posted by mercury28
We wanted to know about Canadian taxes. When my husband starts work what taxes will be taken from his wage? Do we pay provincial and federal taxes? Is the tax rate high in canada?
There are both federal and provincial payroll taxes as well as federal and provincial sales taxes. The end result is that taxation is about the same as in the UK.

Is the cost of living alot cheaper than the UK?
No. About the same. In most of Canada houses are cheaper than the UK but maybe not in Pemberton.

Is taxing and insuring a car in Canada expensive?
Insuring yes, taxing not so much. Again, the overall cost of running a car winds up about the same as in the UK.

You're not going to be fabulously better off as a result of moving.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, please don't 'bump' threads - have a read of the sticky at the top of the page for newbies, and you'll find a guide to the forum and general etiquette which will give you some hints and tips. Remember that most members of the forum are still fast asleep in Canada now, so responses aren't always instant particularly at this time of the day.

The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) is full of brilliant info, including this section.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Taxes-Canada That should answer any questions you have about tax, and the Wiki should also help with any other queries you have. But if you can't find the answer then shout, and somebody on here will always try and help.

Is the cost of living alot cheaper than the UK? Is taxing and insuring a car in Canada expensive?
Cost of living is generally said to be about the same as in the UK. Some things are cheaper, but others are more expensive, so it evens out at about the same. Car insurance is one thing that is far more expensive and BC is apparently particularly expensive! A shock for most people. If you do a search of the forums, you'll find loads of threads about the cost of living and the cost of car insurance in BC to give you an idea.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Funny this thread would appear on the day when I get my bonus and find out that I was taxed 50% on it.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You must have a fairly healthy base salary then to be hit with a 50% marginal tax rate.

Hey, does this mean the economy has recovered enough that bonuses are back on the agenda!

Anyway, good site for canadian tax info is

www.taxtips.ca

Not to mention the wiki and countless previous threads on the subject here.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

He will have around 22%-23% of his gross pay deducted for federal and provincial income tax, and EI and CPP (like NI in the UK). Sales tax (the equivalent of VAT) is 12%.

Is the cost of living a lot cheaper than the UK?
This depends. Overall, we find it a bit cheaper, but you have to adapt your shopping habits a bit to get most value for money. Unfortunately, in Pemberton you are a long way from big box stores so you might find everyday supermarkets are about the same as the UK.

Is taxing and insuring a car in Canada expensive?
Yes. Around $1,500 with maximum NCB, nearer $3,000 with none.

But we are in hope if we do pass and get pr that we may have a better standard of life in British columbia.
This, of course, depends. In material terms then dbd33 is right, don't expect to be much better off just because you move. The public sector is better paid than the UK, but hidebound and conservative in its outlook. Seniority counts as much, if not more, than ability. The private sector tends to pay its front line workers less well, but there is a lot of opportunity for anyone with the necessary get up and go. You can make a great life for yourself.

Then there are the quality of life issues. This is even more subjective. The best way I can say it is that if you like what BC has to offer, it is very generous.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hey, does this mean the economy has recovered enough that bonuses are back on the agenda!
Well, the banks aren't using that bailout money to lend to the punters, so they have to spend it on something.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the income tax rates, scroll down a bit for the provincial rates.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html
There are many tax deductions and tax credits to be had depending on one's circumstances. The federal sales tax is 5%, while it varies among the provinces. Alberta is the most "tax friendly" place with no provincial sales tax and a flat 10% income tax.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Well, the banks aren't using that bailout money to lend to the punters, so they have to spend it on something.
"Punters"...thats one of those technical banking terms no doubt, and doesn't really imply that lending / borrowing money is a gamble
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

On the subject of taxes, I've just been quoted 16-20 weeks to receive my tax refund. When I called up last week, they said 6-8 weeks. I was hoping I'd be receiving it any time.
Does 16+ weeks sound right? (note, this was my first tax return).
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
On the subject of taxes, I've just been quoted 16-20 weeks to receive my tax refund. When I called up last week, they said 6-8 weeks. I was hoping I'd be receiving it any time.
Well, I dutifully sent my first Canadian tax return off in April. Rang them a couple of weeks ago to find out what was happening, but the idiots had lost it (actually they claimed that they hadn't even received it, but either them or Canada post is lying). Had to send a duplicate - god knows when I'll get my refund... :curse:

I'd give them a call to find out what they've done with yours

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 10th 2009 at 5:09 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well, I dutifully sent my first Canadian tax return off in April. Rang them a couple of weeks ago to find out what was happening, but the idiots had lost it (actually they claimed that they hadn't even received it, but either them or Canada post is lying). Had to send a duplicate - god knows when I'll get my refund... :curse:

I'd give them a call to find out what they've done with yours
They confirmed receipt, but that nothing has happened with it yet.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jericho
If its your first one, submitted on the paper forms then yes.

After the first one you can file online, and generally get any refund paid in a week or two.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 10th 2009 at 6:11 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You must have a fairly healthy base salary then to be hit with a 50% marginal tax rate.

Anyway, good site for canadian tax info is

www.taxtips.ca

Not to mention the wiki and countless previous threads on the subject here.
I guess I'm doing okay as a contractor. No job security though.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Have you been to bc before? if not then i suggest a trip out there would be a good idea......cost of living is about the same as the uk, and yes the houses are bigger but the prices are the same as the price of houses in the uk, in the uk London you pay on average £300,000 for a 3 bed semi detached house and in BC you pay on average $500,000 for a decent detached house, these are not exact quotes just average prices..... I may be wrong but these are prices i have seen on websites and not sure about the house prices in pemberton....also cost of food is the same as uk but if you buy in bulk or specials then you are ok, if you are far from a big superstore and have to use local shops then you will pay more for food...............thats it really ohh yeh car insurance is one big con in BC, people have a complete shock when they realise how much they end up paying in car insurance, in terms of better life standards it just depends on what your life is like here in the uk and what you are looking for in Canada..............Hope this helps......

MR79

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.