Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes in Canada. (and other questions!!)

Hi

Originally Posted by MR79
Have you been to bc before? if not then i suggest a trip out there would be a good idea......cost of living is about the same as the uk, and yes the houses are bigger but the prices are the same as the price of houses in the uk, in the uk London you pay on average £300,000 for a 3 bed semi detached house and in BC you pay on average $500,000 for a decent detached house, these are not exact quotes just average prices..... I may be wrong but these are prices i have seen on websites and not sure about the house prices in pemberton....also cost of food is the same as uk but if you buy in bulk or specials then you are ok, if you are far from a big superstore and have to use local shops then you will pay more for food...............thats it really ohh yeh car insurance is one big con in BC, people have a complete shock when they realise how much they end up paying in car insurance, in terms of better life standards it just depends on what your life is like here in the uk and what you are looking for in Canada..............Hope this helps......

MR79
The OP should take a look at the MLS listings for Pemberton. http://tinyurl.com/mrawws
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
in BC you pay on average $500,000 for a decent detached house
Not quite, where'd you get that from? Vancouver nearer $800,000 and every area is different. An average for the province is very misleading as the areas are so different. Pemberton would be way cheaper, but not as cheap as it used to be due to the proximity to Whistler.

Grocery prices also vary by proximity to main centres, Pemberton is much further out and freight costs put things up. This might give you some idea http://www.pembertonsupermarket.com/

Nice little airport in Pemberton, a pretty flight down over the lake to Chilliwack or the sound to Vancouver.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:34 am
Just Joined

fn-expat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look at houses in the Pemberton area, be wary of anything that's in the flood-plain, or you could be flooded out sometime in the next decade or two.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:38 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

A question re CPP and EI contributions. I am aware that both of these have maximum contributions each year, and that you pay each month until you have hit the max. Does anyone know whether if you become resident part way through the year these amounts are pro-rated (in the same way that tax credits are)?
Hope the question makes sense!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

The amount of CPP you will pay in a year will depend on how much money you earn in Canada during the year, not on how much time you spend earning it. The CPP employee contribution for 2009 caps at $2118.60 on earnings of $46,300 and above, so the CPP contribution will be less if you earn less than $46,300 for the year, regardless whether you earn it in 1 month or 10 months.

EI premiums in 2009 are paid on insured earnings up to $42,300 at a rate of $1.72 per $100 i.e up to a max of $731.79 for the year. Again it's the amount of earnings that count, not the time spent earning it in Canada
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fn-expat
EI premiums in 2009 are paid on insured earnings up to $42,300 at a rate of $1.72 per $100 i.e up to a max of $731.79 for the year. Again it's the amount of earnings that count, not the time spent earning it in Canada
You cannot file a claim unitl you have met the qualifying period though.
http://142.236.54.112/eng/ei/types/r...tml#Qualifying
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:57 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005;7920563[B
]Well, I dutifully sent my first Canadian tax return off in April. Rang them a couple of weeks ago to find out what was happening, but the idiots had lost it[/B] (actually they claimed that they hadn't even received it, but either them or Canada post is lying). Had to send a duplicate - god knows when I'll get my refund... :curse:

I'd give them a call to find out what they've done with yours
What, ya can't file on line yet? I get my tax return sent to me in 10 days, but I suspect the wait is for the first time your file, unless you aren't doing it right.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Sep 11th 2009 at 3:00 am.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mercury28
Hello,

We have been thinking about whether we should go out to Canada before we have PR, but thought it might be more stable for the kids to wait until we have PR. We are obviously concerned that we may not pass the medicals as i have ulcerative colitis and my daughter has a heart murmur. But we are in hope if we do pass and get pr that we may have a better standard of life in British columbia.

I would love to hear other peoples experiences.

Xx
Others have helped with your tax questions I'll give you a bit of help with this.

When you have a pre-existing condition, Canadian Immigration are not just looking at the condition but at the cost of your medication/treatment. I'm not sure of the exact figure because I have heard 2 different amounts ($2,500 and $5,000) but if your medication/treatment plan exceeds this amount then you won't get PR. And that is very stressful if you are here on a work permit. I don't know what else they look for in the medical but I'm sure others here can offer advice.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
What, ya can't file on line yet? I get my tax return sent to me in 10 days, but I suspect the wait is for the first time your file, unless you aren't doing it right.
It was the first time - so no on-line filing. I did it right - they lost it not me:curse:
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It was the first time - so no on-line filing. I did it right - they lost it not me:curse:
Well, it is the gubmint after all.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Filing tax online results in a quicker refund. However it has the drawback that CRA does not have the receipts for many of your deductions and can come back to ask you for these much later, more likely if your circumstances have changed significantly from previous years e.g. larger deductions. If you file the papers you avoid the possibility of having to find them some time down the road. If your return is simple with few deductions, online may be the best way to go, but for complicated returns my tax advisor says send in the forms and receipts.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Filing tax online results in a quicker refund. However it has the drawback that CRA does not have the receipts for many of your deductions and can come back to ask you for these much later, more likely if your circumstances have changed significantly from previous years e.g. larger deductions. If you file the papers you avoid the possibility of having to find them some time down the road. If your return is simple with few deductions, online may be the best way to go, but for complicated returns my tax advisor says send in the forms and receipts.

You should keep all receipts and tax documents (or copies if the originals were submitted) for 7 years. After that they cant come back for them was my understanding.

So whether you file online or onpaper, you still need to keep the records anyway.

I did hear a rumour that online submissions are slightly more likely to be audited, but dont know if its true. Its a lot faster and more convenient though for sure. My first few returns were on paper, and uniformly took months to process. Online returns have never taken more than two weeks.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
You should keep all receipts and tax documents (or copies if the originals were submitted) for 7 years. After that they cant come back for them was my understanding.
Depends. If they suspect deliberate fraud then they can go back as far as they like, way beyond 7 years. It is unusual for auditors to go back further than 3 years, they may go beyond that if they find something. It is mandatory to keep records for 7 years.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I did hear a rumour that online submissions are slightly more likely to be audited, but dont know if its true. Its a lot faster and more convenient though for sure. My first few returns were on paper, and uniformly took months to process. Online returns have never taken more than two weeks.
I filed online and am being audited - just for a small part- my childcare expenses and TBH the audit business so far has been OK. A few photocopies etc. However no final result to audit yet (and not even sure I will ever here one unless they disagree)

I suspect I triggered an audit as I filed for a lot of expense ($13550).

Gryph
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:24 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of CPP you will pay in a year will depend on how much money you earn in Canada during the year, not on how much time you spend earning it. The CPP employee contribution for 2009 caps at $2118.60 on earnings of $46,300 and above, so the CPP contribution will be less if you earn less than $46,300 for the year, regardless whether you earn it in 1 month or 10 months.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that as you only get tax credits for the part of the year in Canada the same might apply to these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.